Select Choices with Mouse Only

mogneto

Gureito Eventer
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, I am doing a Visual Novel game. I've been playing a lot of VNs during the quarentine period and, a thing that i noticed is that in most of them the player can only select the choices with the mouse, meaning you cannot use the space button (the OK button) to do it. I think that's pretty good, since there are players that keep pressing the space button to rapidly pass the dialog when you cannot use the Skip function and it would be a shame for them if they accidentally select a choice they didn't want.

What I want is to do the same in RPG Maker: disable the use of the OK button to select the choices and use only de Left Mouse Button. I want to know if there is a way to do it or a plugin that does it. Thank you.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you go into the rpg_core.js you'll find the keyMapper. i think you might be able to just comment out the ok key handling.

edit: actually, that will prevent you from using the enter / space key anywhere, which might be inconvenient.

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Code:
Window_ChoiceList.prototype.isOkTriggered = function() {return false;};
For best compatibility place the plugin file below any other plugins that modify "Window_ChoiceList"
Works well for me. Let me know how it goes. :popcorn:

More info:
To toggle on/off with a Game Switch ;)
Code:
Window_ChoiceList.prototype.isOkTriggered = function() {return $gameSwitches.value(1);};
Replace 1 with the ID you want to use.

Attachments

Last edited:

mogneto

Gureito Eventer
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Code:
Window_ChoiceList.prototype.isOkTriggered = function() {return false;};
For best compatibility place the plugin file below any other plugins that modify "Window_ChoiceList"
Works well for me. Let me know how it goes. :popcorn:

More info:
To toggle on/off with a Game Switch ;)
Code:
Window_ChoiceList.prototype.isOkTriggered = function() {return $gameSwitches.value(1);};
Replace 1 with the ID you want to use.
It worked! Thank you!
And thank you all for the fast reply. You guys are awesome. <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I based this on the armor of Actor 1_7 of the RTP. Hair is from Derex and Sythian Bard.
Stream will be live shortly! Going to do another art stream tonight so that I can finish my Fauna Focus piece~ Feel free to drop by!
Humans are fallible creatures, we all know that. It's when we're forced to look at ourselves that we start to disagree. :p
Expectation: Working on boss battle.
Reality: "Look at how awful are these code and database organization. Let me clean this mess", *yet, casually adding more modules that I have no idea if I would use it later*
Trying to learn to read Japanese so I read my manga. I like to buy them without all the edits made during translation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jubacard