Select Item

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV School' started by Rhino, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Rhino

Rhino Champion Snoozer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Lesson description: As the name suggests, it explains how to use the select item command. There's also some additional detail about Item Types, and suggested plugins.

Download

Suggestion for the project: Setting up teacher names, since switch 22 is the universal 'player is currently a lesson and can't start another.' By using a control variable:script after setting this, and putting the teacher's name between apostrophes, other lessons can use a conditional branch and say "Hey, you're in the middle of \v[x]'s lesson, come back later!" (I'm currently using variable 26.)

Additional switches/variables: Currently uses switch 28 as 'Finished Rhino Select Item' and variable 25 as a designated random number generator.

Item addition:
    It's a lesson about items, so there's a lot. I've used slots 4-14 which can be edited, though I ideally need 4-8 and 12 to stay in the same position since the puzzle uses item IDs. All of the items are removed at the end.

To edit:
    In the T.U.T.O.R event whilst looking at potions, there's a reference to a lesson that talks about self switches. On Rhino page 9 there's a conditional branch referencing the lesson that shows you how to install plugins.

Please let me know if you find any issues!

2. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nicely done lesson :)
    Fun, short, on point and with no bugs as far as I could search. The only issue I found was with the heart balloon icon being too high, but that wasn't your fault I guess :D
    If I remember correctly though, descriptions of stuff people do is written using Window-Middle according to the requirements. When you give her the spellbook, dim is used, and when a potion is drank, bottom is used instead of middle. But these are actually the only things I can point out.

3. Rhino

Rhino Champion Snoozer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Poryg Thanks for testing it! :D I didn't even know these were up yet... Ooo, I'm going to wait until after IGMC and then I can take my time playing everyones and fixing my stuff. (Note to self: Might want to add this too.)

The issue issue with balloons is from my character sheet being 1&1/2 tiles tall (to fit the Rhino and cauldron,) it didn't seem worth it to make a separate sheet but I can probably attach my one tile characters to someone else's sheet when it comes to sewing everything together.

The item given textboxes are all dim since I was trying to make it more exciting :guffaw: I can edit it if it sticks out too much. But thanks, I'll make a note to fix the potion stuff!

4. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    They do not stand out too much, in fact if I didn't test it to see if it fits the script provided by Touch, I wouldn't even bother with it, because it looks good there :)

Rhino likes this.
  5. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Inevitable Staff Member

First Language:
    English
    Really well done. I honestly can't think of any feedback as far as criticism. It is very concise and covers a lot, and the actually turning into a rhino was funny.

Rhino likes this.
  6. Rhino

Rhino Champion Snoozer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for your kind words :kaojoy: It was fun to make!

7. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher

First Language:
    German
    Totally forgot to answer here. I played your lecture and enjoyed it a lot!
    I hope, you don't mind that I used your pointer graphic and idea to include in my own lecture.

8. Rhino

Rhino Champion Snoozer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Candacis Thanks for testing it!!! The pointer is just a crop from the default windowskin, and the idea was from something @Neuralsplyce posted about making things user friendly, so I can't really take credit for either. I'm looking forward to seeing your lesson! :kaoluv:

9. Joy Diamond

Joy Diamond Talkative

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Greetings Rhino,

Rhino's game was the first game I played from this forum -- I loved it ... however, I was too shy to say anything at the time; and also I fully agreed with what Touchfuzzy wrote "I honestly can't think of any feedback as far as criticism" ...

Yes, quite funny -- and more importantly, really made the lesson fun & educational.

Anyway, I'm slightly less shy now, after being on the forums for a week, so this is my thank you to Rhino for a fun lesson.
    Thankfully,

Joy Diamond.

P.S.: I'll experiment without the signatures tomorrow, Rhino ... but it's been my style 7+ years to do emails & forum posting's this way --- so I don't think I'll be able to give up the habit ...

10. Rhino

Rhino Champion Snoozer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Joy Diamond Thanks for your feedback! It's lovely to hear that you're settling in to the community and feeling less shy. I am quite socially anxious, but I've always found this community so welcoming. 98% of the people I've met on here have been so lovely, so I hope you can post with more confidence :kaoluv:

P.S.: Haha, well there's nothing wrong with a unique writing style. I have been known to use punctuation and emojis excessively and no one can stop me. :guffaw:

11. RepG

RepG Villager

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This is great. keep up the good work

Rhino likes this.