oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, RMMZ creates three different "down" or damage images for map sprites...but how do you actually pick the sprite you want of the three.

I'm trying to do it by a set movement route (to show an NPC being hit by something and knocked down) but I can only choose the 12-sprite segment containing the down sprites and then only tell it to face up, down, left or right, which corresponds to just one of the three sprites created by default.

I have the same issue with some of the gate sprites, things like $SF_Gate1...it's got three different gates, but they're divided into columns.

Given they're designed this way, I'd assume there's some means in the system to control it, but I can't find it.

Last edited:

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Does this thread help?

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can give it a try. It seems kind of crazy that you would need a script in order to use things like the default unconscious sprite though.

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
I can give it a try. It seems kind of crazy that you would need a script in order to use things like the default unconscious sprite though.
yeah in my opinion we should be able to choose it in editor move route...

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can only imagine it was a feature that was intended at some point, because obviously several character sprite-sheets only work if you have that ability. Maybe it just got lost in development at some point.

Which sucks, because I quite liked that the generator provided a variety of unconscious/dead sprite positions, so it's disapointing to have to go through the trouble of either putting in a bunch of script commands or (more likely) editing the sprite sheet to something usable.

Azahoth

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Change the sprite with a new event page and turn it off/on with a switch in your movement route.
New Event Page.png
New Event Page_2.png
New Event Page_3.png

The gates work the same as doors and use "wait" in the movement route to skip frames. You can use also use a combination of wait (multiples of 3), speed and frequency to slow or speed up the animation to match SE Audio.

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
Change the sprite with a new event page and turn it off/on with a switch in your movement route.

The gates work the same as doors and use "wait" in the movement route to skip frames. You can use also use a combination of wait (multiples of 3), speed and frequency to slow or speed up the animation to match SE Audio.
that's one of the workaround i usually use.... the downside is sometime the overall movement animation kinda not flow as i wanted... need some fine tuning to 'continue' the animation with another page and move route...
the other workaround is making the spriteset with only the 'down' image i want to use in moveroute switching... same image for every frame... but it could bloat the file size though .

but seriously... it should be better if the editor got patched so we can choose specific frame we want in move route. combine it with direction fix... will make a cool moveroute movement 'animation'.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@oriongates
the reason for this behaviour is because the cells of a sprite have different functions and are NOT just a collection of pictures.

The four rows are the four directions. When moving the sprite automatically turns into the correct row, and the same happens when the sprite is standing as an event but triggered by action button. As you probably know you'll need to set direction fix to prevent that.

The three columns are the three animation frames, no matter if standing or walking. They can be activated with stepping animation and walking animation flags. And they are the reason why there are three "dead" cells - to show the body correctly even if the animation is turned on.
AND if someone makes three different frames then the animation will happen on the dead body.

The engine itself is older than the existance of the dead sprite, and the dead sprite was build to follow the older engine rules of animation to be usable that way even without scripts.

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Main problems with that is that's going to lead to a huge number of switches. I think there's a function in one of the visustella plugins that'll let me manipulate a self-switch in the event. But neither of those work if I want to do something like show the Player's sprite being knocked down.

At that point it's just easier for me to edit the actual character page.

@oriongates
the reason for this behaviour is because the cells of a sprite have different functions and are NOT just a collection of pictures.

The four rows are the four directions. When moving the sprite automatically turns into the correct row, and the same happens when the sprite is standing as an event but triggered by action button. As you probably know you'll need to set direction fix to prevent that.

The three columns are the three animation frames, no matter if standing or walking. They can be activated with stepping animation and walking animation flags. And they are the reason why there are three "dead" cells - to show the body correctly even if the animation is turned on.
AND if someone makes three different frames then the animation will happen on the dead body.

The engine itself is older than the existance of the dead sprite, and the dead sprite was build to follow the older engine rules of animation to be usable that way even without scripts.
I'm aware of how the sprite cells function, and I know what their intended purpose is. I'm specifically referring to those sprite cells created in such a way that they don't align with that.

For example, the dead cells in MZ no longer work in alignment with the stepping mechanic. There are now three different dead sprites and the one that is actually the regular face-down "KO" position is in one of the step column rather than the central column.

downchar.png
Likewise, door character sprites where each column has a different doorway.

!$SF_Gate2.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Getting work done in the hospital is a little tough :kaosigh:
Yet another custom skill animation, sometimes i waste too much time on details people will barely notice :kaocry:
Time flies by... already 1/6th of the calendar released :o

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KM_Dub