Self-made Online Tool: Auto-Generating RMMV Dungeon Map

huanggaole

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi, inspired by Townscaper, I made an online tool for auto-generating dungeon map for RMMV.

The first version of this tool can generate dungeon maze automatically.

I'm considering the automatic generation of different kinds of maps, such as the world map, town map, and indoor map later.

Currently, only RM default tilesets and sample RMMV map format are used to generate maps, and you can download the generated JSON files directly used in an RMMV project if you like.

tool url: https://huanggaole.github.io/autoRMmap/
introduction & guide:
=====================version 1.0.1 updated at 2020.07.19======================
1. add + and - to zoom in and out so you can see the full layout before saving.
2. improve it for smaller size maps (within 25 * 25).

thank @ShadowDragon for the great advice.

=====================version 1.0.2 updated at 2020.07.20======================
add subtype of dungeon, include 土洞穴(Dirt Cave),岩洞窟(Rock Cave),溶岩洞窟(Lava Cave),冰洞窟(Ice Cave),草迷宮(Grass Maze),水晶(Crystal),体内(In Body),魔界(Demonic World).

=====================version 1.0.3 updated at 2020.07.22======================
Allow users to add/fresh/clear ornaments on the floor for a generated dungeon.

=====================version 1.0.4 updated at 2020.07.24======================
Allow users to add/fresh/clear ornaments on the wall for a generated dungeon.

=====================version 1.0.5 updated at 2020.07.25======================
Add an ornament density scroll for users to control the amount of generated ornaments.

Last edited:

JamesRyan

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Personally, I think this is so good for a sketch if we use custom tilesets. Generating a random dungeon and following its design to create one with our own tilesets. Thank you for this useful tool.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you can always use custom to change the walls, but you can do alot.
a nice idea is to add + and - to zoom in and out so you can see the full layout
before saving.

it can be really used as a base and remove/add whatever you need.
so it can help for peoples that arent good in mapping.

dungeon or outside towns map is a possibility (or at least a path).
so this can be helpfull in some ways for me. (will play around with it later though)

thank you for creating it.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Nice work!! These definitely look better than the maps that are generated by RPG Maker MV's default generator.

If you would like to, you can leave your topic here in RPG Maker MV Support. However, if you would like to move it to the Useful Development Tools board instead (where people might look when they are looking for tools like this), just Report your own post and say that you want it moved to Useful Development Tools in the "report reason" field. :)

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nice tool!

I don't think it's a good idea to tell people to edit their MapInfos.json file manually. If they don't make a backup first (and you didn't tell them to make a backup), they could damage that file which would cause a lot of issues. Better to just create the new map in the MV editor, save and exit, then paste the new map generated by your tool over the new one just created.

huanggaole

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nice tool!

I don't think it's a good idea to tell people to edit their MapInfos.json file manually. If they don't make a backup first (and you didn't tell them to make a backup), they could damage that file which would cause a lot of issues. Better to just create the new map in the MV editor, save and exit, then paste the new map generated by your tool over the new one just created.
Yeah, That's true! I should make a warning in the video page.

huanggaole

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nice work!! These definitely look better than the maps that are generated by RPG Maker MV's default generator.

If you would like to, you can leave your topic here in RPG Maker MV Support. However, if you would like to move it to the Useful Development Tools board instead (where people might look when they are looking for tools like this), just Report your own post and say that you want it moved to Useful Development Tools in the "report reason" field. :)
Thank you for your advice! I am a fresh user here.
The tool is based on RMMV now.
Maybe later it can be published in the Development Tools board when it supports more engines or more kinds of maps.

huanggaole

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you can always use custom to change the walls, but you can do alot.
a nice idea is to add + and - to zoom in and out so you can see the full layout
before saving.

it can be really used as a base and remove/add whatever you need.
so it can help for peoples that arent good in mapping.

dungeon or outside towns map is a possibility (or at least a path).
so this can be helpfull in some ways for me. (will play around with it later though)

thank you for creating it.
That's a good idea! Thank you!
I'll add zoom buttons now.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I found a tiny issue with the enerator though.

Maps from 13 hight, 17 width, this one become mostly filled (non walkable space)
Maps up to 20x20 also have non walkable space. or a tiny piece to walk on.
maps from 25x25 has sometimes a tiny space to walk onto it (min 20 tiles out 425 tiles)?
so 405 tiles are NOT walkable.

Maps between 26-44 have average generating support but better than below 26x26.

better results starts from 45+ x 45+, so its not that good on small maps (yet).
another notice I see, there is no entrance or exit points (manually creating those) always better!
most dungeons to go in or dive deeper are stairs/ropes anyway.

that's all I can report.

Maybe a good idea to tell to start from 40x40 or higher, else its better to manually create
the maps (they can always remove the outlines unalkabale paths to make it smaller.

But keep the nice job on, maybe you can improve it for smaller size maps (17 width, 13 height)
as smallers (like default), but that is something to think about =)

I know dungeons are bigger, so they mostly like to use 40x40 anyways (hopefully).

jkweath

Goes Fast
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is really cool! Definitely an upgrade from MV's dungeon generator. Keep up the great work!

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just tested the tool again and saw teh zoom in/out option, only the map starts in
the upper left corner, so I dragged to teh center, test it on 15x15 (same result)
and 45x70 to test out the zoom which works perfectly (different rock this time)

but than I saw there are more added, ice, crystal, demon etc and even ornement,
3 or 4 kinds only.

I got to say, this is so much more usefull and a perfect base to start.
I know there are more ornaments but also a nice option to clear it, or a rought idea
where to place them nicely.

maybe an option of the amount of ornaments you want to place?
at radom is nice, but I think randomized on the size of the map itself that is generated.

I cant wait what you add more to this generator, keep up the amizing work.
is it possible to add a save as PNG as well?

I want to use it to put it as parallax base layout to use the editor to built over it.
also, saving as png (instead of json) or choose between json or png is so they
can use it as parallax as well.

huanggaole

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just tested the tool again and saw teh zoom in/out option, only the map starts in
the upper left corner, so I dragged to teh center, test it on 15x15 (same result)
and 45x70 to test out the zoom which works perfectly (different rock this time)

but than I saw there are more added, ice, crystal, demon etc and even ornement,
3 or 4 kinds only.

I got to say, this is so much more usefull and a perfect base to start.
I know there are more ornaments but also a nice option to clear it, or a rought idea
where to place them nicely.

maybe an option of the amount of ornaments you want to place?
at radom is nice, but I think randomized on the size of the map itself that is generated.

I cant wait what you add more to this generator, keep up the amizing work.
is it possible to add a save as PNG as well?

I want to use it to put it as parallax base layout to use the editor to built over it.
also, saving as png (instead of json) or choose between json or png is so they
can use it as parallax as well.
Thank you for your advice! I'll change the initial position of the generated map to the center of the screen.
And I'll add an input text to allow users to input the number of ornaments added to the map.
However, I can't provide the png download directly for copyright reasons. You can download the JSON file and read the file from RMMV and download the png file from RMMV for the parallax editor.

Thank you for your attention and reply :)

GalacticFork

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know if you're still working on this, as it's been a while since the thread was responded to, but with the new world functionality, is it possible to have an option to have the water margins along the edges? So either a continent or continents will all be surrounded by water and the edges of the map won't be a cutoff land masses.

huanggaole

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
[QUOTE =“ GalacticFork,发布:1128433,成员:114752”]
我不知道您是否仍在进行此操作,因为响应该线程已经有一段时间了,但是有了新的世界功能,是否可以选择沿边缘设置水边距?因此,一个或多个大洲都将被水包围,并且地图的边缘不会成为割断的陆地。
[/引用]
That's a good idea.

Pootscooter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Mandarin
Primarily Uses
RMMV
房間太簡單了,或者我的地圖太小了?(20x12)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just finished composing a boss battle theme!
Scripted a multi-variable weather system that randomizes wind speed, cloudiness, rain, fogginess, etc, while attempting to realistically account for interactions between them (e.g. wind speed affects fogginess, cloudiness affects rain, etc), the current weather pattern, and the player's biome e.g. swamp, beach, etc. Now I "just" have to tie visuals and sounds to the variables so stuff actually happens...
I'm having a headache balancing the combat using flat defense so I'm gonna use percentual armor, in this pic, Simon has 16 on Defense which means all the incoming damage will be reduced by 16% this will ease my burden a bit.
!Have a nice day everybody¡
SO glad they patched outer worlds for switch! I can finally play it! Weird that other peeps are still having issues. I know it was really chugging on my lite when it first came out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anjing_gila