Self Switches?

princewes

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
so im fairly new to rpg maker vx ace and i need a little help. none of the tutorials ive found have been able to help me with my problem

im trying to have a person talk to my player, enter a battle with a monster, and then have the person join my players party. i can do all that, but i can't get the person to disappear permanently from the map after joining the party,

what happens is that there are then two versions of the person on the map, and every time ive tried to use self switches the way the tutorials state, the event completely disappears.

Skunk

Melody Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Slavic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is actually quite easy to do.

All you need to do is have your main event start the battle, once you have won or which ever, you have it flip a switch that says "add party member".

Then on a new blank page have the condition set to the switch "add party member", and on that new blank page have it add your new teammate.

This will effectively remove the event with the picture of the party member, and add the party member to your roster.

The only issue with this is that it never ends up on the same square as the event being removed as new party members always appear behind the player.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You use the Control Self Switches command in the FIRST page of the event, to turn the self switch on at the time they join your party.  Then you condition the SECOND page, which has no sprite, by the self switch.

It sounds like you might have put both the command and the condition on the same/first page. 

Of course it would help if you posted screenshots of your event pages so we knew what you'd done ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

princewes

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You use the Control Self Switches command in the FIRST page of the event, to turn the self switch on at the time they join your party.  Then you condition the SECOND page, which has no sprite, by the self switch.

It sounds like you might have put both the command and the condition on the same/first page. 

Of course it would help if you posted screenshots of your event pages so we knew what you'd done ;)
so, im still a little confused im afraid. ive taken screenshots of what i have done. (the only stuff you cant see in the first is dialogue .) explain what needs to be done as if i had no idea what any of it was, if possible. thank you !

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The event is not showing up because you have 2 pages, the second page has no sprite, and neither page has any conditions.  This means the second page will be active (the page with the highest number, whose conditions are met).

On page 1, when the NPC joins your party, do a Control Self Switches and turn self switch A on.

On page 2, under the Conditions section, check the Self Switch box and make sure A is selected in the drop-down list.

That's all you need to do.

While self switch A is off, page 1 will be active.  As soon as self switch A is turned on, page 2 will become active and the NPC will disappear.

princewes

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The event is not showing up because you have 2 pages, the second page has no sprite, and neither page has any conditions.  This means the second page will be active (the page with the highest number, whose conditions are met).

On page 1, when the NPC joins your party, do a Control Self Switches and turn self switch A on.

On page 2, under the Conditions section, check the Self Switch box and make sure A is selected in the drop-down list.

That's all you need to do.

While self switch A is off, page 1 will be active.  As soon as self switch A is turned on, page 2 will become active and the NPC will disappear.
thank you so much, i got it now!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

"How dare you!" is probably the most overused reason to start conflict.
Another day of mostly mapping in Make a Game in RPG Maker MZ: Episode 7 starting now! We're making a mansion! Come watch live and join in on the chat!
Game=Forest, Feature=Tree. There's little worth in looking at a tree except in its relation to how it affects the feel of the forest.
Been a while, guys. Despite being in college now, I'm working on Season's Promise as often as I can.
Helping my sister make her game
I hope i can get some freckles for the generator soon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simonbelmont88