Status
Not open for further replies.

Evoluationers46

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey. I know that the best way to send project data is to Compress Game Data into an application (.exe) file or that blue cube thingy for short, then send it but that basically sends you the entire project and overrides the data for a new project in the event I wanted to use the same map.

Is there a way that for example, I can just send a old map ID to a new project on another computer while maintaining the same data?

Long story short:

I got 5 people in 3 location with 6 computers each doing different roles working on the same project and we're trying to send different fragments of the project (like custom music, skills, maps) to each other without overriding the data created and stored on a single computer like what "Compress Game Data" does.

Is this possible or not possible? Thanks in advance!

Zane

Food for thought
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
US English
Primarily Uses
You could just save your project, close it, open the data folder and copy the files you need then send a zip of those files themselves. It's important to save before you copy and zip because you'll end up sending old data.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can copy the files from the project folder and send them to whereever you want - some team even use a service like dropbox to save directly to the internet.

However, when you do that you are the one who has to make sure that the mixed files can work together - for example if you change an item in the database, that will also change all events where that item is given or checked. If you add a new item and use it on a map, that map can only correctly processed if the others not only get the map, but also the database update for the new item.

Which is one reason why something like dropbox (which has version control) is better than copying single files...

Evoluationers46

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
First rule of thumb, I find Zane's Location tab labeled: "Yoshi's Island" hilariously awesome.

Next, I'm going to test both your methods right now as we already have the free version of Dropbox.

(@Andar)This is just a side question: 

back to your item/event example, what would happen if say the item your referring to had nothing but a name change? I keep the same ID# information and effects/stats etc. and changed the name? Would it still mess it up?

(EDIT): Thanks guys!! I combined both methods by taking the file and dropping it onto dropbox and it worked!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It depends on what you count as "messing up".

Basically the maps only contain references to item IDs and load all data from the project's current datafiles. That data would be loaded without a problem - no matter if names or parameters or features had been changed.

The problem starts if you already had balanced the values, or if you pick a value that depends on the changed item or any access to the content of the database. If you have nothing that checks or requires those contents, then no change to the item will cause problems on the map (only if you delete items already referenced, that would cause problems).

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

gundambison wrote on emelian65's profile.
updated with new code.. Hope this work
1675255888435.png
Been working on new characters and outfits, no bodysuit!
doesnt mean she's not mechanical :kaopride:
Sneak peek on what I'm working on (don't mind the tileset, it's placeholder)

1675253833587.png1675253693243.png1675253707818.png
Going to make my Anniebelle dolls into murderous cowards, when the lights go out they swarm, otherwise they flee and attack from a distance...
annieBelle.png

....just look at those beady little eyes. Terrifying! :kaoswt:

Stream for those who like to watch. :LZSwink:
So I sent my game demo to be entered into a game showcase. They asked if I had a website for my game. So I listed my game page here. I don't know if that will count or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoankannuy