RMMV Separate Sprite Sheets for Each Direction?

RoseQuartz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Would it be possible to use a separate character sprite sheet for each individual direction the player moves, in order to increase the number of frames one could use to animate a character? I know a a single character sheet can be divided to allow for separate idle, walking, and running animations, but can entirely separate sheets be referenced for each directional movement of a character?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can do whatever you want, if you have the eventing or the plugins to make it happen.

Separate idle, walking and running animations are only possible because of eventing or plugins to tell it when to show which sprite.

Are you asking for a plugin to be written?

RoseQuartz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, okay, great to hear, and sure! If anyone is willing to offer their expertise. What are the odds anyone would want to help write one? Haha

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What are the odds anyone would want to help write one? Haha
better than you think, but it depends on what you request.

we have a plugin request forum here that has many dozens of requests for plugins that have been programmed as part of the community, and a lot of them started similar to this topic.

And there are three basic facts that determine the chance that any one plugin request is fulfilled:
1) work needed - something simple is of course more often fulfilled as something that would require hundreds of programming hours
2) interest and re-usability - if the idea can help others or is interesting enough to be used by many people, the chance of finding someone doing it is of course higher
3) quality of description - the better the request is described and planned, the higher the chance someone continues with the actual programming

The third part is the one that would need some work here. For example you should explain why it is better to split the sprite than to simply add more animation frames to it (which is already done by some scripts/plugins) and how the new spritesheets should look and so on.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Moving to Plugin Requests

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Would it be possible to use a separate character sprite sheet for each individual direction the player moves, in order to increase the number of frames one could use to animate a character? I know a a single character sheet can be divided to allow for separate idle, walking, and running animations, but can entirely separate sheets be referenced for each directional movement of a character?
If you just want more frames, there are a lot of existing plugins that let you expand the framecount of a character sheet.

Is there any particular reason you'd need to have different framecounts going in one direction compared to the other?

RoseQuartz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sure, that makes plenty of sense. So to perhaps better explain my thinking, I generally work with 3D models, which I then animate, and then breakdown into character sheets similar to what I've seen with the High Fantasy pack. You can really push the envelope and create a pseudo 3D effect this way but it's a lot of work and sometimes results in massive sheet sizes (700 frames). I've dabbled with Unity and perhaps that is better suited for my needs but there's a lot challenges there as someone unfamiliar with coding. MV allows me to load large character sheets but there is a point where the engine will crash if I try to use anything too large. Depending on the complexity of the particular animation, the idle down position may be enough to reach that threshold alone. Attempting to fit everything on one sheet just isn't viable. I recently discovered a character model plugin that allows a separate sheet used for walking, running, and idle by fbu, which had me wondering if it could be broken down even further. It sounds like a lot of work and maybe folks are scratching their heads as to why anyone would want to waste their time with this, but it can produce some pretty interesting results and would be exactly what I'd need to get my project off the ground. Again, the simplicity of MV is attractive as someone more familiar with the art process than coding, so I'm doing everything I can to stick with it before taking another chance with Unity.

Thanks for taking the time to discuss guys.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OK, that is less engine limits and more technical limits.
There is a difference between 3D and 2D, and especially between models and sprites.

Sprites need to be completely loaded to be able to be used, while 3D-models are modelled in real time. The first requires RAM, the second processing power in the GPU.
And RAM is always limited.

60 frames would be considered a very high number for sprites. 700 frames - that is beyond realistic. You can push the limits, even into the x00-er, but that will have consequences. Splitting the sprites is only stop-gap here and not a real solution.

If you really want that high a frame number, then you'll better think of a completely different approach (and no, I don't have an idea for that at the moment)

RoseQuartz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alright. Well that gives me an answer. Like I mentioned previously, I was able to acconplish this in Unity without too much issue, but I was hesitant to keep working as I am a novice when it comes to coding. So I'll just have to do my homework and brush up on the coding part. Thanks again everyone!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

0800d9e637692b8fe70e5bf0f8d410af.jpg

Im just gonna get a plugin or two....or five hundred.
MV/MZ dev: "I'll build an APK to run on Android mobile devices!"

Microsoft: "Here is the great news. Now you can play android apps on Windows 11!"
Work-in-progress dwarf character. Got him mostly there but he needs some earrings or hair jewellery.
TestChara-14.gif
I cant not for the life of me figure out where this bomb item comes from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darkescythe