September 2019 Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bgillisp, Sep 2, 2019.

1. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello all! It's September which means time for another goals and progress thread. I decided to add the year to the thread this time too.

No banner this time as it's already late as I was on holiday. Post your goals and progress below.

atoms, Canini, Marquise* and 2 others like this.
  2. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, I'm going to be back at school, so aside from helping others with their games, the only likely thing I'll manage to get done is to finish my new battle system.

atoms, M.I.A. and Marquise* like this.
  3. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My Goals for September:
    -Release The Book of Shadows. We have a tentative date of September 20th set though it will go final soon.
    -Work on mapping the last zones for Shipwrecked! I have the town and castle left, and the tunnels the party uses to get into the castle as it is too well defended to go in the front gate. From there I'll need to go back and polish the game, add movement to all cutscenes, add optional areas and so on.

atoms, M.I.A. and Marquise* like this.
  4. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    while im busy, I hope to get the alpha ready for my 1st usefull plugin :D Which isn't found anywhere yet ^^
    as well for my mapping progress, its slow and hard t o decide where goes where as for how many npc's I want to use
    and their functions :p

So I might be do the story and what they say probably around town :)

atoms and Marquise* like this.
  5. NinjaKittyProductions

NinjaKittyProductions Professional Murder Hobos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Due to recent set backs, we are having to push our demo release of a game back to the end of October. So this month will be spent just playtesting the absolute crap out of what we have, make QoL changes, grammar checks, and balance issues.

6. Chef

Chef yeet Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ma goals:
    - go to the dutch gaming garding lunch thingy and ask for different ways of publishing, meet new people
    - ask moghunter to make his/hers footsteps plugin compatible with altimit movement
    - add banjo kazooie like mumbles to almanac
    - work out a sweerly swoorly
    - map out all of Almanac's puzzles

7. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Goofball Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    September already?!?! The end of Q3?? Oh my my.. how I am SOO far behind.. in like.. everything. HAHA!!

My RMMV Goal for September:
    -Finalize my tilesets in the database
    -Block out skills, items, weapons, and armor in the database
    -Create enough cool screenshots to make me game announcement thread!! ;)

Finger's crossed!!
    -MIA

8. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    What do you mean Septembr... Woah me too. Where did August go?

Well after the exterminator today I will decide what I want to finish on RPGMaker...

atoms and M.I.A. like this.
  9. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    It's been so long since I did anything, so my goal for this month is to work on something every day. No matter if it's just something small, or whether it's for my main project or side projects. I just need to get back to opening the program.

atoms, Marquise* and M.I.A. like this.
  10. Arcmagik

Arcmagik Game Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    September is already shaping up to be a big month for progress but we will see if that progress holds into the later half of the month or stalls into a tail spin...

atoms, Marquise* and M.I.A. like this.
  11. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Recently started to redesign the boss rounds with the change to a battleground timeline system (read: OTB design) and quickly determined that some of the aspects of the existing definitions weren't exactly compatible with the change, although in testing I did notice that - even with the changes to my boss definitions - the prospect of similar effects is still possible (meaning that two attacks upon the player's expense can still occur under specific conditions).

In addition to the rebalancing of the boss rounds, I have updated my credit reel to reflect several changes in content and to streamline the sequence itself. Portions that I have removed from the credit reel will be moved to a separate video reel that will also contain writing errors and blown takes. The final sequence will also be changing, as will the "big bad" in the scope of the situation. The prologue sequence is getting an overhaul as well, and will replace the "night before the separation" in terms of tutorial servicing.

12. Lihinel

Lihinel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Gave up on trying to finish my side project this year. (Should have been a release in december, so better luck next year I guess)

Gonna have some more spare time in the second half of the month, so I'll try to get the basics for the battle system for the remake of my main project in MV done. We'll see how that plays out.

13. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Testing even more changes to the post-game setup. For starters, I'm in the process of reconnecting and reworking the post-credits sequence to accommodate some changes made in the script regarding the plot twists respective to the changes thereof. Second is that I am doing one last rewrite of the post-game itself to make the continuance work better for the purpose of common expectation. And rounding this out is a final surprise or two that I won't discuss because you are best served to witness the results for yourself.

14. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Playtesting, playtesting, playtesting.
    I am currently working on the third demo of my game and it includes my biggest dungeon effort to date. There are two ways to solve it and the boss is quite unique if I do say so myself.
    The boss jumps around on the upper part of the screen pushing buttons, and you have to avoid the lasers fired at you on the lower part of the screen. My anticipating where the boss jumps you can avoid the lasers and reitaliate!

There is quite a lot of work to go through gameplay-wise, though. The game uses a ABS script, heavily modified but still with some kinks to work out. My initial idea about having two character you could swap between (Mario and Luigi-style) proved to be much to complicated so for now I am dividing the two characters up. The two characters still walks together in towns and the field but in dungeons and caves they are seperated to allow for a more slower gameplay. The amount of abilities the characters have also been reduced down to two each and all healing is done with a single item. This will make it so that the player is hopefully not overwhelmed in the middle of the action!
    Completing the dungeon is the most important part, but I hope to go back to my previous demos and polish them up a bit to get more in line with how my gamemaking has evolved.

15. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Just voted for the current event and somebody made me realize that it was the very first time I ever made a complete side view battler spritesheet for MV. And from scratch! Finally I am happy with that lack of experience I lasted so long.

Now, trying to gather inspiration to do something before NEXT extermination day. (But something that don't get me 48hours to 72 hours up ^^; I suffer from sleep apnea but there is a limit.)

atoms, Chiara, Chef and 1 other person like this.
  16. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A surprise change in strategy for game presentation just hit my brain. I already have ten primary crew members, however toward the end I have a twist where someone you think is mixed up in the dark threat is actually a victim of her own mechanisms that she's ultimately forced to shut down. This led to a new addition: strategic allies. Note that in terms of scenario design , these guys will only come into play after the main crew has come together, and even then at nothing more than some very specific moments. First on the roster is Cyberguard Patrol System Deployment No.S-2000, or Arnis as he's known to the other cyberforce units. (Apologies for referencing Terminator in terms of character design if that's a problem for anyone, but otherwise I was at a loss for ideas. Beyond that, I'll allow for the character model itself to do the honors.)

EDIT: Image can be viewed here. For policy reasons and related last-minute uncertainty concerning sourcing for the design I have removed the inline preview.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  17. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @BreakerZero Woah... Is that an original creation??? I might had been voting for it at some point ^^ I like it!

atoms and BreakerZero like this.
  18. CynicSyndrome

CynicSyndrome Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey all! My roulette wheel is done and it came out exactly as envisioned, or better. I have the demo video on my profile page for anyone interested. I have now started creating my Playlist Builder event. This will allow players to customize the settings of any currently playing BGM, then if they wish, name it and save it to their playlist. It will be like a mini mp3 player for up to 20 songs at a time. With several modes of play in addition to the regular play, shuffle, and repeat. I'm probably about a third of the way through development on this. My goal is to finish it by the end of the month.

19. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I came up with the idea myself, spurned by creative use of the character generator. That being said, I switched things up this morning in favor of a link-based access provision in order to accommodate certain provisions and concerns that I now have related to policy standards and their effect on some of the design elements. In any event, thanks for the commentary which is very much appreciated.

EDIT: Another update. I resized, recolored and separated a copy of the SF Door file's portal sprite to reference the point where everything starts going to (expletive). Obviously it's much bigger than a normal portal (the kind that transports you across the world to some other location) and you obviously don't want to go in there so it's completely inaccessible and in fact has been completely blocked off accordingly for the rift that it is, the only response for even attempting it being a typical "ain't got no business" response. Also found a rather annoying bug that plays the vehicle music when it's not required (or more specifically, a pair of BGM playback calls that ultimately turned out to be a completely unnecessary provision) and which is further related to my transport skill implementation.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  20. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    atoms and BreakerZero like this.