OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@HawkZombie, I was trying to work on my August, er... September goals, and you throw out a jam, I was going to try my hand at a different jam and I am in another in October, but NNNOOO you just had to have a jam. I'm kidding, well kinda, and Happy early birthday I guess.

Looks like it's another month of goals down the toilet.

New goal: make and finish a game by October 20th.
Come up with an idea: couple of days
Write up a quick summary: end of week
Prototype game aesthetics and early map game play ideas: End of weekend.
Iron out gameplay and early database and character design: end of next week.

Idiot

save early, save often, save versions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
September should be a pretty slow month now that Back-To-School is over, so my goals are:

• Finish mapping the first area
  • Nail down the next 'settings' I want to move to. The game is sorta a light adventure horror type game, so the setting and 'ambiance' of the different areas is really important. I was thinking of starting in a (spooky) greenhouse, moving to a (spooky) restaurant, and then to a (spooky) love hotel before going to the final area, but I'm still working out the kinks.
  • Finalize sprite designs for the main characters, and get at least partially done with spriting them.
  • Flex goal: Start working on facesets!

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Quick post here to start out and since I'm a few days late. Want to keep my goals simple for this month; no major expectations just start making some nice progress. I started a character drawing I need to finish yet so that's what I'm working on immediately.

As far as other potential goals I'd like to get a decent chunk of the first area of the game completed. I expect I'll be having a lot of art aspects to work on this month (character/battlers) and database stuff; any mapping should go pretty quick as I think I made most of the tiles I'll need give or take.

Anyway that's about it, just really want to make some noticeable progress this month, guess I'm sort of going slow with this project. Okay everyone, let's have a good month!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Wow, did everyone take a vacation? Get to work! My minions will be by to check on you soon and 'encourage' you, hehehehe.

On a serious note:

9.9 Update:
-Completed through Chapter 5 of the strategy guide. Go to the 1st boss of chapter 6 actually before I had to stop.

XIIIthHarbinger

Part Time Super Villain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, did everyone take a vacation? Get to work! My minions will be by to check on you soon and 'encourage' you, hehehehe.
I suspect many of them are dealing with the crushing despair of summer coming to an end, & returning to school.

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Update on my goals:

FIRST
I will complete the second demo of "Alex and Adva; I've heard norse". This includes the main hub town, the swamp level and the second dungeon. There will also be a archery/Shield-surfing minigame.
SECOND
Create a epic narrative poem (edda-style) to serve as backstory for the game. It will not be in the game proper or necessary to understand it but rather enrich the world for those interested.
THIRD
Play through the entire game from start to finish to make sure that demo 1 and 2 work together both seperate and as one experience!
FIRST
The work on the demo is still going as planned, but the design of the minigame will be moved to next month together with another one I am planning. Those two games will probably be my goal for next month.
SECOND
The poem will be finished on time, but only as a first draft. Rewrites will have to be pushed forward to a later date.
THIRD
Going as planned!

XIIIthHarbinger

Part Time Super Villain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update #2 for September:

Let's see I've started working up my party banter mechanic. Essentially, rather than relying upon party member interjections when entering an area, triggering an event, or talking to an NPC, I decided I wanted a more active system, where the player could interact with their party members to explore who they are.

So I integrated a baseline common event into the menu system via Yanfly's Main Menu manager, since I was already using said plugin for my "Local Map" & "World Map" mechanics. Which then generates a choice dialogue based on who the party members are. Which allows the player to either speak with a given party member directly, or listen to the conversation occurring between two party members, each one being a common event.

All told counting the initial entry common event, the system results in sixty one common events, based upon whether the player's main is male or female, which characters are in their party, & who they choose to talk to.

From there, the common events are further subdivided according to whether or not the player has joined a faction, & if so which one, which I am using conditional branches attached to switches for. Plus an RNG mechanic attached to variable control to determine which response manifests. That way the party members don't say the same thing every time you talk/listen to them.

I still need to determine which topics will be the ones you discuss with your party members, & how your faction allegiance will later change that. Not to mention the switch conditions that will alter the message. Which is the final mechanic I want to create.

Specifically creating a secondary conditional branch layer, with an else attachment, below the first conditional branch based on the variable RNG. For example, talking to character 4 with an RNG value of 8 will give you response A, unless you've completed quest #7 in which case character 4 will reference it. Essentially, I want to make it so that what the player's party members say changes overtime, based on in game events.

Rather like with what you see in Mass Effect or Fallout 4.

With there essentially being three stages. Stage #1 being pre faction joining, Stage #2 being post faction joining, & finally Stage #3 being post Specific Faction Quests.

I still have a lot of work to do this month before it's close to even being technically functional. Nevermind, not having determined the Stage #3 criteria for each of the dialogue options; or writing ALL OF THOSE CHARACTER INTERACTIONS!!!:dizzy:;_;:guffaw: Needless to say those final two elements aren't on the agenda for this month, just the basic mechanical framework; writing actual dialogue elements will come much later, as much of it is intended to be response to the events in the game that have happened.

Still my hope is that when all of the work is done, the player will feel like they have "connected" for all intents & purposes with the party members that they, to a very large extent created/shaped.

I am also continuing work on the "Lore World Map" that I am using for my title image. The Northern polar ice shelf is finished, as well as a good portion of the Southern. At some point I am also going to have pick locations for the major cities, that serve as the capitals for the various empires, or "Holy Cities" for the various religions. Visually speaking they'll only be one more terrain feature on a scrolling world map, that serves as the title screen.

But I need to affix these important locations to specific areas, on my visual representation of the world, if for no other reason than for lore building purposes.

Item 1) Finish lore "World Map". W.I.P.

Item 2) Finish updated Iconset. COMPLETED.

Item 3) Tune the "Speed" portion of all of my skills. COMPLETED.

Item 4) Build the enchantment system for Weapon & Armor customization.

a) Add enchantment components to random loot generation system, by populating the components that will provide runes & glyphs.

b) Update shop inventory system, by setting up the inventory for my enchanters, & adding a limited selection runs & glyphs to "general merchants".

c) Create icons for Runes & Glyphs, add to updated iconset, integrate into database.

Item 5) Set up initial mechanics for party banter system. W.I.P.

Item 6) Rebalance Enemy parameter curves in accordance with new player character rebalances.

Item 7) Begin creation of skill integrated & Troop based AI common events, for enhanced tactical operations by enemy warbands.

Item 8) Test of concept, battleback construction via map image from corresponding tileset.

Item 9) Test of concept, alternate battler composition, SVA sprites & modified visual encounter sprites.

Item 10) Further develop IP lore pages, on various topics.

Punamaagi

Hero on their own terms
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't made a whole lot of progress so far, but a little is better than nothing, I suppose?
  • I've continued writing the main story, though part one is still unfinished. It has made me realize that I won't most likely end up using one area (an island beyond a supposedly cursed reef) and on the other hand will need at least one new area (ruins of a castle/manor destroyed by a count after his tyrannic reign ended)... which means that I might have to revise the map a bit.
  • I now have a list of the elements needed for the outside area (towns and woods) tileset. I also spent some time thinking more about the history of the towns and possible RL references, which should help in making town feel more coherent (e.g. first town is a fishing town and the final, somewhat rarely visited stop for merchant ships, and its houses will draw inspiration from old and/or Nordic fishing villages).
  • As something that wasn't a part of my list, I've also fleshed out a human sub-race which plays a part in the first part of the game - or rather, continued to flesh the race out. I sometimes wonder if I like them too much, given the attention they've received...
Hopefully everyone else has been making progress with their projects, too, and having a good time while doing so!

Last edited:

Another Ned

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm very slowly getting back into my project/game dev mindset in general so I figured I might as well return to posting here (let's hope I manage to consistently this time).
My goal will be very, very vague because right now just getting anything done is already huge progress for me.

Goal:
  • spend time on my tiny side project (Ned Can't Get a Break) at least three times a week
Because of the nature of this goal, I'm most likely posting my progress in a week's time.
This month's progress so far:
  • last week, I went through my notes and updated some of them; I also wrote a short overview about my main character (which, for some reason, I didn't back in May when I started with this project)
  • this week, I sketched out possible layouts for the single map, pointed out changes I'll need to try out, and rewrote the narrative

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Chiara : Welcome back!

9.10 - 9.15 Update:
-Completed though Chapter 7 of the strategy guide. Fixed up some inconsistencies with the earlier part of the guide.

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Updated this sprite for the umteenth billionth time...
upload_2018-9-16_20-32-41.png

But, I'm thinking of working on isometric tiles for the overworld, yea a 3d world is nice and did give the early snes rpgs something to aw at but...
I'm really surprised "modern" rpgs still go for that fake 3d look.. I don't get it, why? your tiles are blurry due to you stretching it with a quad(or plane), it's also likely zoomed in as well.

For me, and the fact unity 2018.3 support iso titles I thought about doing an isometric world map (actual game is traditional overhead) And the point of doing this would be crisp pixels and just a better over all world map.

The downside is this requires an isometric camera(I do believe cinemachine supports iso not sure tho) and obviously a isometric character controller.

Since iso is generally dealing with diagonals (correct me if I'm wrong, I generally never dabbed in iso) I'd only would have to deal with 4 sprites per character in the over world.

I'm using Unity btw, Godot is great, super fast prototyping, prefer the animation system, but.. C# support while 7.0 is buggy and exports really are not there :( 2018.3 added 7.0 and well it's basically stable from what I can gather.

I've been pretty out of it all year... Fighterz is pretty darn addictive :p

HawkZombie

Lord of Shadow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think I need to add a new goal of checking these forums every day, instead of every two weeks XD

XIIIthHarbinger

Part Time Super Villain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update # 3 for September

I took a few days off to recharge my batteries, putting in some time in CIV VI & Mordheim, rather than working in MV like always. Then started hitting the party chat mechanic again.

All of the initial mechanics are now working as intended. All the conditional branch switches & RNG mechanics to provide variety, though I only have the first tier of conditionals right now, as the second tier I will need to have the various quests set up already, so I know what to place as the conditional to be checked for, & then just shift the default dialogue for that faction subset to the else provision. The name boxes & face graphics are set, as well.

My appearance evolution mechanic & the removal of the class system actually would have made that quite a pain given I wanted to use emotes for the conversation pieces; after all this is the primary vehicle I am intending for the player to use to "get into the heads of their character", as well as to understand the relationships between them.

Then I realized I could simply alter the face graphic by starting in the upper left hand quarter of the face graphic, only take it down to the chin line where the facial features are still visible, but the clothing options don't really intrude, copy that section then resize to 144 x 144, & use that as the emotes.

The appearance evolution can still apply changes to the face graphics, in menu, while the dialogues can remain unimpacted by appearance shifts, removing the necessity for an absurd amount of conditional evals.

Of course that only takes care of the "face" problem, but doesn't address the problem of the mechanical flexibility I provided to the characters. Since the player can make any of the eight characters, into any build they want; I can't exactly write default dialogue based on presumption of build for the characters. For example, I can't write actor 4 & 7 having a tanky "sword & board" versus a rogue dual wielding daggers verbal sparring match over the pro & cons of their respective preferred methods of melee mayhem as the default, when the player could just as easily have chosen to make 4 & 7 a healer & dark magic user respectively.

I'll have to give some thought to conditionals tied to the skill variables used for character evolution system.

Of course the biggest problem right now is that all of those wonderful little text boxes that pop up based on conditional branch evaluation of which faction switch is on, & what the RNG "dialogue" variable is set to, with their smiling faces & pretty name boxes all say the same thing.

:o(INSERT DIALOGUE HERE!!!):dizzy:

My own game is berating me for my lack of progress.;_;

But, I am not going to be working on those dialogues this month, this month's goal was just to get the system operational to the point where it functions as intended, & I can go back later & insert dialogue as I come up with it.

I think this week I am only going to work on the lore world map, since I decided to use it as my games title page, I really need to get it finished. As right now the sections full of terrain features, make those sections without them seem really odd on the title screen. Not to mention with the world "rotating", & the "weather system" cycling, the areas covered in terrain features just look better.

upload_2018-9-19_0-22-12.png

Item 1) Finish lore "World Map". W.I.P.

Item 2) Finish updated Iconset. COMPLETED.

Item 3) Tune the "Speed" portion of all of my skills. COMPLETED.

Item 4) Build the enchantment system for Weapon & Armor customization.

a) Add enchantment components to random loot generation system, by populating the components that will provide runes & glyphs.

b) Update shop inventory system, by setting up the inventory for my enchanters, & adding a limited selection runs & glyphs to "general merchants".

c) Create icons for Runes & Glyphs, add to updated iconset, integrate into database.

Item 5) Set up initial mechanics for party banter system. COMPLETED.

Item 6) Rebalance Enemy parameter curves in accordance with new player character rebalances.

Item 7) Begin creation of skill integrated & Troop based AI common events, for enhanced tactical operations by enemy warbands.

Item 8) Test of concept, battleback construction via map image from corresponding tileset.

Item 9) Test of concept, alternate battler composition, SVA sprites & modified visual encounter sprites.

Item 10) Further develop IP lore pages, on various topics.

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well... I don't have any goals at the moment. I released the public test build of Immortal Sins (that update is the MV port). I am waiting for my artist to be available so I can ask her for new artwork. So...

Progress Report #1:
Immortal Sins:
-Polishing the game.
-Experimenting with particle effects. I am using a plugin to spawn particles to events.

Misc:
-This was done months ago, but I released Alpha 2 of my Compiler tool. It's essentially a GUI for nwjs' JavaScript compiler tool. I do need to tune it up and polish the UI but it works quite nicely.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
9.16 - 9.21 Update:

-Edited some of the Chapter 1/2 inconsistencies in the guide where I used a different style than the rest. Still got a few to fix, but nowhere near as many as before.
-Guide is done through Chapter 8 now. Also wrote up the strategy for how to beat the last two bosses of the game, so I just need to meet in the middle now.
-Made a few minor quality of life improvements in the game. I turned off the flash for poison damage and replaced it with an SE instead (I have friends with epilepsy and that flash in a zone of many poison tiles is going to be too much for them to handle). I added a bouncing arrow to Josie so you can't miss her in Elmwood now at the start of Chapter 1. I merged a few of the scenes in Liana's house into one scene so you don't have scene -> walk a little -> scene as much as before.
-Updated the demo screenshots on the project page. Hopefully these are viewable in more browsers than Internet Explorer. Yep, for some reason I don't understand the old images showed up fine if you used IE, but if anyone use anything else they got the
symbol instead.

Another Ned

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Progress update:
  • made an overview of which parts of the map are accessible at which times
  • began to flesh out the narrative and gameplay, fixing a few plotholes along the way. There are a lot of 'opportunity for future minigame'-type of notes in the margins
Unless I count reflecting on this week's progress, I only managed to work two instead of the three days I aimed for, partly due to an issue with medication side effects rendering me useless for a few days. But I'm already thinking a lot more about game dev-y things than I did the past months, so that's some progress in itself.

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wrapping up the end of the month: After starting a game for @HawkZombie s jam and then starting over because I am a sucker for punishment so I could use Mog's Chrono Engine, I have something playable to the 1st boss. Not a bad month considering. I am for once right about where I need to be.
FB_IMG_1538235616108.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

"I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream". In all seriousness, spatial BGM feature is now complete for my audio plugin.
Stream will be live shortly with some game development followed by the return of the Interactive Text Adventure after a short hiatus! Feel free to drop by!
Lately, I've taken to smashing random nouns/verbs together as insults. It's sort of amusing how many people don't really know how to respond to that. You bottle shaker!
Would be nice to pick color code that is not exclusively for message event
The Ace attorney series are so great games... But at the same time such a travesty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shadowgrahp