peq42_

Yeet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese(BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For a game server, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each way of handling messages?

I'm asking this because recently a friend of mine hosted a server for my game, but since he lives far away the ping is quite bad, so I've been trying to find ways to better synchronize all players and compensate for lag. Doing some research on the topic, I saw that most if not all game servers work with a tick system, where the server only responds to players every X milliseconds, and I've been wondering in what ways is such system is better than my current one(where the server responds as soon as the client sends a message).

I imagine a tick system would be less laggy than instantly responding since it would group multiple messages into one before sending to the player, reaching a max of 30/s(if the server tick is 30, for example) while a instant response system can end up sending 100 or even more messages per second depending on whats happening in the game, thus being much more laggy and out of synch. But besides that, I dont know much.

peq42_

Yeet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese(BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Yay! One of my Youtube videos got to 100 views (in 2 days)! This Youtube thing is great, it's like the profile posts except I get to annoy entertain more people at once! Now I just have to practice my "Leave a like and hit that Subscribe button" shilling technique. :LZSexcite:
Just found out there is an about me page. I updated it and happy the way its looking!
Ladies and Gentlemen, I can't act like things will be ok anymore. It needs to be said: We have a Pandemic...
Release version of Pillow Hero is out on windows now! --> https://bit.ly/2USHKLv
Stream will be live shortly! Feeling like doing some Minecraft instead of DK64 since it has been a bit! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firewolves