Server with custom map: Self hosting or separate host?

peq42_

Yeet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese(BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When making a game server, how people/enterprises usually deal with custom maps? Do they host it in the same server running the game? Do they host it in a separate file server(like a FTP or HTTP)? what is the best approach for such situation?

This has been concerning me since I began looking for a VPS for a game of mine. I noticed that most VPS won't have more than 100MBps upload speed, while maps can easily reach over 100MB, meaning that for each player joining, the server would lag a LOT for a long time for all other players.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
From what I've seen, usually the logic server and graphics server are separated. If you want to decrease the filesize though, you can implement modular maps loading - loading chunks 4x4 let's say. That however requires some hefty work with the engine.

peq42_

Yeet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese(BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
From what I've seen, usually the logic server and graphics server are separated. If you want to decrease the filesize though, you can implement modular maps loading - loading chunks 4x4 let's say. That however requires some hefty work with the engine.
Could you point some links about the first topic for me? I've been trying to find info about it but I can't find anything..

As for the second option... well... I can't even begin to imagine how to implement anything like that on MV. It would probably require a lot of changes in the engine...

marvinwalter

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Well, I recently bought hosting services for my website from these guys, because I think it's cheaper to buy a good Russia dedicated server than others. You can contact them, and they will answer your question about self-hosting or a separate host. In addition, I saw that this company also provides Russia VPS hosting, so maybe this information will be useful to you. Have a nice day!

Last edited:

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@marvinwalter I've approved your post, but deleted the link contained within it. While I trust your intentions were probably good here, you can understand why a link to a Russian server farm (especially from a member's first post) might set off some red flags.

If you would like to include the name of the service in your post (without the link), so that people can judge the safety of the service themselves, then that would be perfectly fine - use the Edit function to add it to your post.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry for not answering.

Large companies usually have their own server infrastructure of X servers dedicated for the same tasks. For indy developers an MMO poses large problems due to the fact that cheap VPS or even dedicated servers don't offer sufficient bandwidth to cover many players at once and building your own infrastructure, even though it'd be preferred, is not nice.

Also, MV engine is not suitable for MMOs as it is. The main loop is bloated and the fact that everything is synchronous and always in "single file" makes it a terrible choice. It'd need to be reworked - to use asynchronous file handling, to send files ahead of time and preferably to only use as small files as needed. That would include cutting map files to smaller sizes in parallax mapping (I don't think it would be necessary with normal mapping as long as yoou don't use excessively large overlays as maps are drawn on realtime this way).

As for the server infrastructure, my suggestion would be two TCP servers if you want to use a game client or one HTTPS server if you want to have the game play in web browser (as in this case establishing a TCP connection with another server would make no sense I guess).

Btw. @marvinwalter Buying a server in Russia is not a particularly good idea. Traffic from Russia is treated as untrustworthy and certain firewalls block it entirely. Not to mention, for an online game prices are a concern, but reliability is a bigger concern.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

HexMozart88 wrote on RHachicho's profile.
Hey wait a minute, I remember you!
Granny.gif
Nap! Knit! Read! Repeat!
Granny's got a busy life now :3
Бас Лого.png
Reflections on the topic of choosing the path of the main character )
Now I want to change back to a Class system again xD Around and around we go!
Progress on the title graphic:
titledemo3.png
titledemo2.png
I'm still looking at the best way to do the subtitle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zouthay