Set a Variable's value to a random number from 0 to the value of another Variable

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Newquaza 96, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Newquaza 96

Newquaza 96 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    The question is basically all in the title, but i will explain the context in case there's a better way to do this that i am overlooking.
    For my project, i am using stat checks to determine the outcome of certain events:
    For example, when a boulder blocks the path, the player will have to choose one of the actors to try and move said boulder
    Choosing an actor makes it so the Variable "Calc1" is set to the selected actor's Strength, while the Variable "Calc2" is set to the selected actor's Level+5.
    Then, i would change the variable "Random1"'s value to a random number between 0 and the value of the variable "Calc2".
    Afterwards, i would have the game check whether the value of the variable "Random1" is smaller than or equal to the value of variable "Calc1".
    If Random1 is smaller than or equal to Calc1, then the check is a success. Otherwise, it is a failure.
    I tried calling the following script to change the value of variable 1 (Random1) to a number from 0 to the value of variable 16 (Calc2), but it doesn't work.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm going to say your variable ids are 1 and 2 for this example.
    Code:

function random_range(min, max) {
    return Math.random() * (max - min) + min;
    }
    $game_variables[3] = random_range($game_variables[1], $game_variables[2]);
    if ($game_variables[3] <= $game_variables[2]) {
    //success
    } else {
    //failure
    }

3. Verdelite

Verdelite Wannabe Developer Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not entirely sure since I'm not familiar with RMMV's functions yet, but afaik Math.random() returns a decimal, and I think it has to be
    $gameVariables.value(id) with a lowercase 'v'
    Try using
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, am noob :)

Newquaza 96 likes this.
  4. Newquaza 96

Newquaza 96 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    This actually works! I suppose it was just a matter of small things after all. Thank y'all very much for your help, i greatly appreciate it.

Verdelite likes this.