Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey all,
I have an event set to autorun that is supposed to move a couple other events to specific places on the map. Basically on the map transfer event, a switch is flipped, the player moves to the map and the events (some NPCs) should be at their assigned places. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be happening. Whenever I go on to the map, the NPC is stuck in her original spot. The autorun has the self switch, I'm not freezing up when I transfer, the set location command just isn't working. The basic flow is like this:

If I enter the map prior to sunrise and sunrise comes around while on that map, the NPC will leave her tent and move to a spot around the campfire where she'll sit until nightfall.

If I leave the map and return during that same daypart (or daytime, sunset, dusk), the autorun event should kick in and deposit the NPC in her assigned spot. This is not happening.

I set a fadeout on the transfer event (map 1) with a fadein on the autorun event (map 2) and it doesn't fade in, even though I'm still able to move (I can go back to the prior map). The fadein is after the Set Event Location commands which leads me to believe those commands aren't running at all.

I've confirmed the teleport switch is flipped on after I arrive on the new map, but the autorun event should be moving the events and flipping that switch back off, doesn't look like either thing is happening. I'm attaching screenies of the event:

P1Top.PNG

P1Bottom.PNG

P2.PNG

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you dont need the self switch.
the self switch is making it so this event only runs the very 1st time you enter town and then never again.
this event doesnt even need a page 2.

and the zone transfer switch doesnt need to be zone specific. can use the same switch for all transfer autorun events

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) as said above, switches are for permanent changes until they are removed.
if you want the event to happen every time you enter, then you erase event instead of switching it off, because then it will be reloaded on entering the map.
I think it should work better after removing the second page and all those control switch commands at the end, replacing them with erase event.

2) in a structure like this, the else-branch is not needed. You'll make the event better readable and more stable by disabling the else-branch in every conditional branch you have and have the checks one after another instead of nested.

3) why do you need the waterfall teleport switch on the first page?
The suggestion under 1) includes removing that unless you want the time system to only happen after something in the story had changed and you need times when the player enters without this happening.

Sacrifyx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been at this since like 2011, and I've always believed autoruns always need a self-switch to kill them. Learned something new.

@Andar aside from the readability that you mentioned above, what other purpose would changing the conditionals from nested to standalone branches do? You mentioned stability, how is one way better than the other?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You mentioned stability, how is one way better than the other?
technically there is not much difference, the main advantages are indirect.

The only technical difference is that each nesting requires additional RAM to remember the order and the processing is a tiny bit slower - both things that are not detectable with any of today's computers.
However there is a limit to how much nesting the stack can handle, you usually just don't come near that.

However, each nesting makes the event longer by three lines, and indents the commands farther. This makes readability rather bad if you have much more branches. There have been cases where people couldn't even read the commands any longer because the indent had pushed the lines too far to the right. Because you can't scroll horizontally in that window.

And as soon as you need larger logic inside the branches, it becomes difficult to keep the level of indention in mind - the part that tells you what conditional branch the current commands belong to.

Sacrifyx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, that makes sense. I'm not going to change the ones I've already set up unless something causes me to need to revamp them entirely, but I'll use this method going forward.

Sacrifyx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tiamat-86, I could really use your expertise here if you'd be so kind, as it's relating to the NPC schedules and other things you helped me with prior. This is the last map of NPCs I have to get up and running and for the most part everything is fine, except for a couple of things.

At Dawn, Guy 1 leaves his house and goes to his place where he'll be for the day.
At Sunrise, Guy 2 leaves HIS house and goes to Guy 1's house next door.

These both work. Each guy when leaving/entering triggers a switch that allows the door of the house to open and close, so Guy 1 activates switch 1 to open his door, walk out and then close it (parallel event that handles this turns the switch off once the door is closed).

Guy 2 activates switch 2 to open his door, walk out and close it. He then walks to Guy 1's house which triggers switch 1, he walks in, door closes. Both doors are a 2 page setup, page 1 being just the door that activates normally on player touch and page 2 which runs parallel and only comes into play when the switches are activated, and the switches are turned off once the move route for the door is complete. This works fine.

A couple of problems - when I load a save on this map, Guy 1's door starts open and then closes. Not a major issue, but if we can figure out how to make it not do that, that'd be great. Second, and more importantly, if, after Guy 2 enters Guy 1's house, I also enter Guy 1's house, when I activate the door, I'll see Guy 2 trying to walk out of it briefly before the transfer takes effect. Likewise, if I try to enter after Guy 1 returns, I then see Guy 1 trying to walk out that door instead of Guy 2. This also occurs at Guy 2's house after Guy 2 returns home at Sunset.

I'm attaching screenshots of the door event on Guy 1's house. Guy 2's door event is exactly the same except for the event name and where it transfers you to.

Also attaching a shot of Guy 2's move routes, first one at sunrise, the second at sunset. Don't think the problem lies there, but I'm completely at a loss as I've never had this happen before.

P1.PNGP2.PNGMR1.PNGMR2.PNG

Last edited:

Sacrifyx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ugh...so the major issue from up above is now working. Took some finessing and messing around with the move routes and blank images, but we're all good there. I still have the issue with these 2 houses, when I leave one (either one, not just affecting one of them like I thought), the door closes on both of them. Can't figure out why for the life of me. The 2 door events have 2 pages each, the standard transfer on page 1, and then page 2 that kicks in when a switch is flipped (one for each door, used for the movement of Guy 1 to outside and Guy 2 from his house to the neighbor's house).
Lastly, I have this...

So Guy 2 (mentioned above) is in Guy 1's house from sunrise to sunset (best not to ask why). When I walk into the house at sunrise (after the sunrise switch is flipped on), he's in his designated position that I set with the teleport event, but after a moment, he disappears and reappears at the front door to walk to that position, as if he just got to the house. That disappear/walk thing is his autonomous move route that I only want to see if I'm already on that map when the sunrise switch is flipped, not if I enter the map after it's flipped.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the door closes on both of them. Can't figure out why for the life of me.
most likely because the two events that are pretending to be doors use the same switch to determine if they should be closed or not?

Sacrifyx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The doors each have their own switch, it comes on during an auto move route at the specified time so the NPC can be seen to open the door, walk in (or out), close the door and each switch is turned off at the end of the respective door's movement. The NPCs that use those two doors are both active at different times of the day.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
then you need to show us screenshots of all the commands and all the pages in the door events for us to check what might cause this.

Sacrifyx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had some screens of that above, here's a new set
Guy 1's door event and auto move routes:
145094-16af76195808e202e89ec3f91770d715.png145095-46e6f2a375abb68b080673aa3757cedc.pngMR1.PNGMR2.PNG

And Guy 2's door event and move route:

P1.PNGP2.PNG145096-a9f92628bc9df4d805235176e7baf63f.png145097-4834d5387c8f6484263980ac17b2db86.png

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
why are both switch 191 and 192 are in guy 2s move route?
shouldnt guy 2 only be changing switch 192?

Sacrifyx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Guy 2 leaves his house (switch 192 I think?) and goes to Guy 1's house (switch 191). Guy 1 leaves his house and goes elsewhere.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the fact that it plays once when load and transfer makes me think some other auto/parallel or common event is flipping the switches.
were you experimenting with these switches before in another event that only plays once when loading and forgot to take them out when came up with the current solution?

Sacrifyx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not that I recall, and the search function only turns up these switches on these 2 door events. Odd that it doesn't show on the NPC events as well since it's in their move routes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Once again working on a game I'm not sure I'm going to sell or even publish
That feel when you're awake past midnight and suddenly you're one year older :ninja:
I miss collaborations, but I don't know how to find someone to make face parts just to share them with others, and even though I don't like writing or music, I can't trust anyone with writing on my game because it has themes that are easy to mess up, and music needs a clear tone and scenes.
People donating to me for my upcoming birthday so I can pay my team a little. Such angels, I'm so happy. T uT I smile so much my face hurts. Good souls in this world.
Playing Ragnarok Online again is very nostalgic. The last time I played it was 20 years ago, when I was ten-twelve old.
My first mmorpg.^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dashstop