Ciberfreak

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Other
Just a thought I had is it possible to set an event from action button to autorun at the start of the game?
We have this big city in our project and when you first enter this map there's a old man who asks if you want a tour or not. He's on autorun which makes a short test very tedious when you enter the city and didn't set the event to action button. In the past I often forgot to set it back to autorun after I did a full export of the game and playtesting it. I'm used to checking him but if it can be automated that would be awesome.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that sounds as if you made the event the wrong way - the autorun should be made to switch itself off after the first entering of the city.

additionally, you should always start tutorials with a show choice if the player wants it or not, exactly for repeat players.

Ciberfreak

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Other
that sounds as if you made the event the wrong way - the autorun should be made to switch itself off after the first entering of the city.

additionally, you should always start tutorials with a show choice if the player wants it or not, exactly for repeat players.
Maybe I explained it wrong it's not this specific event my question is about because this event does switch itself of after the first time and as the player you can deny his question. What I mean is when I want to test something in one of the buildings or in a attaching map, I playtest this and then I enter Grandaria (name of the city) then Benedict (the old man) starts his dialog. What I'm curious about is if Benedict can be set on action button so playtesting is less time consuming but when the player starts up the game Benedict is set to autorun.

Attachments

• Screenshot Benedict for RPG Forums.png
    Screenshot Benedict for RPG Forums.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no, such a thing is not supported by the editor.

there is a way to check for the playtest flag by scripting (that is how the special playtest cheats like control pasibility are enabled), but controlling events by scripting is a hassle unless you do it by switches and multiple pages.

however what many developers do is implement there own cheats. Basically make a chest on the first map that contains a cheat item, and that cheat item when used calls a common event.
in that common event you use show choices for overrides like teleport the player to a hidden map where transfers to all parts of the game and chests with all kind of items exist.

then you only have to remember to remove that chest before distributing to players.
and that is how the cheat codes get implemented into big games as well: as developer overrides to allow the developers to playtest without being stuck in early game.

Ciberfreak

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Other
no, such a thing is not supported by the editor.

there is a way to check for the playtest flag by scripting (that is how the special playtest cheats like control pasibility are enabled), but controlling events by scripting is a hassle unless you do it by switches and multiple pages.

however what many developers do is implement there own cheats. Basically make a chest on the first map that contains a cheat item, and that cheat item when used calls a common event.
in that common event you use show choices for overrides like teleport the player to a hidden map where transfers to all parts of the game and chests with all kind of items exist.

then you only have to remember to remove that chest before distributing to players.
and that is how the cheat codes get implemented into big games as well: as developer overrides to allow the developers to playtest without being stuck in early game.
Ok I had to try because maybe it was possible with a plugin or something and it's a luxury problem anyway so I have to continue checking Benedict now and then haha,

Danke

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
because maybe it was possible with a plugin
of course it is possible by a plugin - that's what scripts are as I said above.

the problem is only that to my knowledge no one bothered to write such a plugin yet, because configuring it to your specific events would be similar work as to create a cheat item event.

Ciberfreak

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Other
of course it is possible by a plugin - that's what scripts are as I said above.

the problem is only that to my knowledge no one bothered to write such a plugin yet, because configuring it to your specific events would be similar work as to create a cheat item event.
I already came up with something...I added a page before the first page and a switch at the beginning of the game in a event that sets up everything at startup so when you play the game the event is set to autorun but otherwise at action button

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

That moment when I am listening to another instructor teach and I am thinking…I have been doing this for almost 30 years…I know this material…I teach this material…and you are confusing the crap out of me…let alone the students. What the actual $&@#! are you talking about? :eek:
Help me make a choice. Which one makes more sense?
A. Range style 1.pngDiamond shape
B.Range style 2.png Square shape
I created a skill that can only be used if there are enemies within the player's range. When the player's range is 2, which one do you think is more appropriate to describe the range area?
Just once I would like to see some innocent person stumble upon a body in a crime show and instead of scream they sigh and just say, "Found another one."
Can we get like a RPGM VXA Pro edition with all the limits gone!!
I drew @TheoAllen 's Cecilia~

yVLlTmK.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webhost98