Goddiga

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello! I'm still a novice at RM, so I would like some tips for writing events.

I set autonomous movement to an npc to make it move by itself, and to make it continue to complete the route even when the Player gets in its way. Like this.

phplmovement3.png

◆Set Movement Route:victim1
: :◇Move Up
: :◇Move Left
: :◇Turn Down
: :◇Wait:60 frames
: :◇Move Right
: :◇Turn Left
: :◇Turn Up
: :◇Wait:180 frames
: :◇Move Down
: :◇Turn Right
: :◇Switch ON:0079
: :◇SE:Close1 (50, 100, 0)

I want to make it so that when Player interacts with, in this case, a wine bottle, it will break and it will cause an NPC to move faster. Here's an example of my eventing.

phplmovement4.png

The problem is that when I do that, the "Set Movement Route: victim1 :Speed : 5 :Frequency : 4" somehow overwrites some of the movement in NPC sometimes, depeding on the movement and whatever. Let's say, in this case, the 5 "Move Left" becomes 4 instead.

If possiblie, please suggest a way to solve this. Thank you!

*P.S. I have another solution in mind, but I have to remove the "scarepoint -1" gimmick and use instant gameover instead. So, I want to find another way first.

Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, it does, because Autonomous Movement is also a movement route, and a character can only have one running at a time. Each subsequent movement route cancels the one currently running.

It would have been really nice if you'd included the full event window in your screenshot. Don't crop stuff away, because everything in that window is important.

You will have to use a script call to change the victim's speed and frequency without interrupting the movement route. I could tell you what that script call needed to be, if only you had shown the whole window and I could see the event id.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
since both are move routes, you'll have to find a way to define them based on fixed points.
as they are, they're always defined relative to the event itself, and since it moves, whenever the movement route changes, everything down the line gets thrown off course.

you can use map regions to define an area for the character to walk on, and those can be picked up from the move route.
that way, if you have to alter the base move route you can always send the event back to the beginning of it's original route, and recalculate from there.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
since both are move routes, you'll have to find a way to define them based on fixed points.
the second move route that's cancelling out the first doesn't actually have any movement commands - it's just changing the event's speed.

In fact, looking over the events again, it's not a great design. You have a mini cutscene - NPC walks up to a set point, jump scare happens, NPC runs away - but you've put the processing on two different events. It's easier if you just put all the commands into a single event - either one of those, or another one that has no sprite - and let it control everything that happens.

For an example of this, look at the blog (link at top of page) and search for a post called "Events aren't NPCs: The Biggest Mistake in Cutscene Events" (or something like that).

Goddiga

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, it does, because Autonomous Movement is also a movement route, and a character can only have one running at a time. Each subsequent movement route cancels the one currently running.

It would have been really nice if you'd included the full event window in your screenshot. Don't crop stuff away, because everything in that window is important.

You will have to use a script call to change the victim's speed and frequency without interrupting the movement route. I could tell you what that script call needed to be, if only you had shown the whole window and I could see the event id.

Sorry for that. Here's the full view.

phplmovement3.png

◆Set Movement Route:victim1
: :◇Turn Left
: :◇Wait:180 frames
: :◇Turn Right
: :◇Switch ON:0079
: :◇SE:Close1 (50, 100, 0)

phplmovement4.png

as they are, they're always defined relative to the event itself, and since it moves, whenever the movement route changes, everything down the line gets thrown off course.

you can use map regions to define an area for the character to walk on, and those can be picked up from the move route.
that way, if you have to alter the base move route you can always send the event back to the beginning of it's original route, and recalculate from there.

Thank you! I'll keep this in mind for now though.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So if you get rid of the movement route on victim1 that's set in event 17, and replace it with this:

Code:
Script: $gameMap.event(5).setMoveSpeed(5);
       $gameMap.event(5).setMoveFrequency(4);

it should work.

However, what are you trying to do with the scarepoint variable on that event? Because you've got it set to Event Touch, those commands will never run unless the player interacts with the event. Maybe you should walk through what's supposed to happen (ie - what the player should see happen in the game), and we can help you determine if that's the best way to accomplish it.

Goddiga

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So if you get rid of the movement route on victim1 that's set in event 17, and replace it with this:

Code:
Script: $gameMap.event(5).setMoveSpeed(5);
       $gameMap.event(5).setMoveFrequency(4);

it should work.

However, what are you trying to do with the scarepoint variable on that event? Because you've got it set to Event Touch, those commands will never run unless the player interacts with the event. Maybe you should walk through what's supposed to happen (ie - what the player should see happen in the game), and we can help you determine if that's the best way to accomplish it.

Thank you for the code! I'll try it out to see if it works or not.
My game is about Player scaring NPCs to accumulate points as high as possible. Player will lose points every time NPCs come to the touch. Changing Speed is one of the gimmick for making it harder to avoid their movement. Though I also consider an instant gameover and some other things.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I typically ask this on my normal social media channels, but figured there may be good replies here. Anyone got any good horror movie recommendations? I've seen a lot, but I always love getting suggestions! Bonus points if you know which service it is streaming on (in the US) - bring on the spOoooOky!
 After a few distractions (and my annual rough second week of October), I’m getting back on track with my OMGC project.
 Am I overcomplicating it? Yes. Am I going to tone it down? Almost certainly not.
 At least the dialogue stuff is almost done. I need to do the map itself, and then all that’s left is combat.
 Getting there!
Creating 3D CGs for Cutscenes. :kaosalute:

I keep wanting to post every song I make for the game and have to hold back on that because at this rate, I'll have spoiled all the really good stuff lol..
DerniBorges wrote on TSR's profile.
Is there any way this plugin works with the big character, and the QSprite plugin? Using RTP chars, everything works fine, but the big ones, with QSprite, it's like that in the image, it doesn't reflect right. And there is, in the settings, an option to fix it. Thanks.
bug2.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anonymateds