Set Player to Move to Specific Location

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by danielrobertcampbell, Aug 18, 2018.

1. danielrobertcampbell

danielrobertcampbell Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm using MV and I'm actually trying to find out how to this myself. Granted, my google fu is kind of weak but I'm hoping I do a better job of explaining it so everyone understands what I'm going for.

You know how every old school RPG has a moment when you talk to an important story NPC and then your characters repositions to the tile in front of them for the sake of a "cutscene" or something? Example: If I were going to talk to a king in my game and I wanted my player to move in front of the king and face him, no matter what direction the player approached the king from, how would I do that?

2. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Necro-posting FTW!

I like to set up a common event for these situations and just call it anytime I want the player to move in front of the important NPC. Have the common event check which direction the player is facing and make a player move route for each direction except up (since they will already be in the correct place). So if the player is facing right, they are on the left side of the NPC they're talking to and need to move down 1, right 1 and turn up to be in the square below it. Doing this can also make cutscenes easier to start because you'll know where the player will be when it's time to swap them out for more easily controllable event versions of themselves.

3. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

@danielrobertcampbell , please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

I've made a new thread for your post.

4. Roninator2

Roninator2 Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA