Not open for further replies.

NovusPeregrine

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
VNM
As the title says, I'm trying to set a Variable equal to another Variable. This is a pretty basic need, as variables go, so I assume there must be a way. I can't figure out how you're supposed to do it using the UI, though. I assumed at first that you would just select 'reference' like so:

Number Variable | Target: Variable | Variable: G[0025: DomLockValue] | Operation: Set | Source: Reference | Scope: Global | Reference: G[0003: Dom]

But this fundamentally doesn't work. In fact, whereas before setting it the DomLockValue was set to 0 (which I had initialized it to previously) after running the above...it won't output a value AT ALL. Which means I have zero clue what the Reference source is supposed to be for, since it's clearly not this, and the documentation is...pretty much blank other than saying it's a pointer. And if it's really a pointer, it should have done what I wanted. Assuming pointers here work the same as they do the C/C++...

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't have VNM, so I can't answer your question outright...but I do have a counter question, which is why do you need to do this?

If you're not changing the value of the variable, then you don't need the new one and you can just use Dom directly.

If you are changing the value, there's no need to set it beforehand, you can just do it as part of the operation.

So instead of saying:
Code:
DomLockValue = Dom
DomLockValue += 5

You can just do:
Code:
DomLockValue = Dom + 5

There's basically never a time when you need to just say "this variable equals this other variable"

NovusPeregrine

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
VNM
I don't have VNM, so I can't answer your question outright...but I do have a counter question, which is why do you need to do this?

If you're not changing the value of the variable, then you don't need the new one and you can just use Dom directly.

If you are changing the value, there's no need to set it beforehand, you can just do it as part of the operation.

So instead of saying:
Code:
DomLockValue = Dom
DomLockValue += 5

You can just do:
Code:
DomLockValue = Dom + 5

There's basically never a time when you need to just say "this variable equals this other variable"
There are LOTS of times you need to do this. This being one of them. I'm creating a player-engaged value lock on the Dom value, allowing them to prevent it from rising or lowering. In order to do this, I need to temporarily store the Dom value at whatever they lock it at, so that it can be compared in a regularly done check to the current value. The only alternative would be to run the lock check EVERY time the dom value (which is a FREQUENTLY changed value in the game) is altered. Which would be both computationally inefficient AND a thorough pain in the ass since I'd have to go in and, at this point, add the check to literally hundreds of places in a mostly finished game(that's been in development for a year and a half at this point).

Nor is this the only example of a time when you would need to do this. Other examples might include some types of inventory systems, complex variable math, or even many of the best practice behaviors of restricting when you use global variables. In that last one, in particular, it is EXTREMELY common to need to set a local variable using a global or vice-versa. I'm not sure where you learned to program, but I'm assuming you're self-taught (which isn't a bad thing), as this sort of thing should be covered in any typical programming 101 course in college.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not at all, I just had no presumption that you were going for some kind of persistent system within your event in a Visual Novel. My bad for giving advice without asking what you were planning to do.

Last edited:

NovusPeregrine

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
VNM
I am once again annoyed beyond all accounting that such a simple question wasn't answered, at all, in the official support forums for the engine. Not that I'm surprised at this point, sadly. As I DID eventually figured it out, and the information is NOT COVERED in the engine's documentation, I decided to put the solution up here for any future person confused. Honestly, the answer was so absurdly simple that I feel stupid for not noticing it sooner.

Variable Set.png

See that '...' that I circled? Yeah, that pulls up a list of variables, both local and global, that you can set the new variable to. Given that it serves no other purpose, and is never mentioned in the documentation or tutorials, I'm only a little chagrined for missing it. Hopefully, anyone else that misses it will find this useful.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Not to put too fine a point on it but...

1623925003861.png
This is also going to be covered in the tips and tricks page as stated, though that part hasn't been written yet.

If I might offer some friendly advice, when you're asking a community for help, drop the condescension and sense of entitlement. Sometimes it takes a while for people who know the answer to see your topic, and your attitude here has all but ensured that I'll be reticent in answering any future questions you ask.

Last edited:

NovusPeregrine

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
VNM
Not to put too fine a point on it but...

View attachment 192465
This is also going to be covered in the tips and tricks page as stated, though that part hasn't been written yet.

If I might offer some friendly advice, when you're asking a community for help, drop the condescension and sense of entitlement. Sometimes it takes a while for people who know the answer to see your topic, and your attitude here has all but ensured that I'll be reticent in answering any future questions you ask.
1) That is a single tiny note, and it isn't even in the section of the documentation for variables. Nor does it show up when variables are used as a search term. It took already knowing from your post that it existed to even find it, since it was definitely not in an intuitive location.
2) I was not asking the community for help. This is the OFFICIAL support forum for this engine. I have purchased and use this engine. I expect, when I have a problem, to get support from the company that sold me their product. Not some random joe on the internet.
3) I was not in any way condescending in my original post. I asked a simple question in as complete a manner as I could. I only got a bit shirty when the only person to respond had nothing useful to say, and only told me that no, clearly I didn't actually need to so that logical thing.
4) This engine has been out for years. If that tips and tricks section hasn't been written...someone screwed up basic product support on such a fundamental level that they would need new words just to describe it.
5) Frankly, this has not been an isolated incident. I've had numerous problems with this dumpster fire of an engine since buying it, and only once have I gotten any support, and that support was like pulling teeth. I had to hammer them for a week straight on multiple platforms (including private messages to everyone I could find) to even get a response, let alone help.
Once I have finished with my current project, which will have been roughly 2 years on development, I will delete this product and NEVER use any piece of software they make ever again. I've used dozens of engines over more than two decades of web development. Even written by own engines on two occasions. And this is The Worst experience I have ever had the displeasure to have with any of them.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's not a single tiny note, it's repeated under every variable type.

It does come up when you search for variables. You do then need to click the link for variable types, but that is the absolute bare minimum of research I would personally do when looking into a query like this. If you have an issue with how the documentation is laid out, this isn't the way to communicate it.

Yes, it's the official support forum for the engine. Have you read rule 5?

I was talking about your response to ATT_Turan, not the original post.

Yeah it's been out for years, but that doesn't mean it's perfect. You can suggest things without yelling at the developers.

You are of course free to use or not use anything you like. Given the antagonistic nature of your response, I'll be sure to put you on my list of people whose posts to scroll past. Best of luck with your game development.

NovusPeregrine

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
VNM
It's not a single tiny note, it's repeated under every variable type.

It does come up when you search for variables. You do then need to click the link for variable types, but that is the absolute bare minimum of research I would personally do when looking into a query like this. If you have an issue with how the documentation is laid out, this isn't the way to communicate it.

Yes, it's the official support forum for the engine. Have you read rule 5?

I was talking about your response to ATT_Turan, not the original post.

Yeah it's been out for years, but that doesn't mean it's perfect. You can suggest things without yelling at the developers.

You are of course free to use or not use anything you like. Given the antagonistic nature of your response, I'll be sure to put you on my list of people whose posts to scroll past. Best of luck with your game development.
It shows up in a search only 4 results down, and the description in the result has nothing to do with variables, making it unlikely to be clicked on. Particularly as the third results is already completely unrelated. Continuing to look past that point would be the equivalent of looking at page 5 of Google search results in the blind hope of finding something.

I was polite in asking my question. I was even only mildly annoyed in my response to the previous EXTREMELY rude response. YOU were the first one to be confrontational and condescending. Congratulations on your breach of rule 5.

The engine is NOT in beta. Having a beta release does not make a piece of software a beta product. I do not use the unstable beta release, regardless. And nowhere does the visual novel maker advertising or details claim beta (or even early release) status. It's a fully realized, released, engine that is merely receiving ongoing updates, as EVERY engine that is not abandonware is.

Also, please put me on the list of people never to talk to at all. For you are rude and argumentative, your posts lacking any purpose but to tear others down. After all, EVEN IF you were 100% right about the information being easy to find (which you aren't, or someone could have actually answered the question easily), there was absolutely no reason or cause to come in to a thread that was Already Solved, and insult someone who actively took the time to make the information available in case someone else had the same question. I did not need to do that. I did so purely in an effort to help others facing the same issue in the future. But you, somehow, thought it was appropriate to condescending insult me.

I politely invite you to masticate an entire satchel of richards.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It shows up in a search only 4 results down, and the description in the result has nothing to do with variables, making it unlikely to be clicked on. Particularly as the third results is already completely unrelated. Continuing to look past that point would be the equivalent of looking at page 5 of Google search results in the blind hope of finding something.

I was polite in asking my question. I was even only mildly annoyed in my response to the previous EXTREMELY rude response. YOU were the first one to be confrontational and condescending. Congratulations on your breach of rule 5.

The engine is NOT in beta. Having a beta release does not make a piece of software a beta product. I do not use the unstable beta release, regardless. And nowhere does the visual novel maker advertising or details claim beta (or even early release) status. It's a fully realized, released, engine that is merely receiving ongoing updates, as EVERY engine that is not abandonware is.

Also, please put me on the list of people never to talk to at all. For you are rude and argumentative, your posts lacking any purpose but to tear others down. After all, EVEN IF you were 100% right about the information being easy to find (which you aren't, or someone could have actually answered the question easily), there was absolutely no reason or cause to come in to a thread that was Already Solved, and insult someone who actively took the time to make the information available in case someone else had the same question. I did not need to do that. I did so purely in an effort to help others facing the same issue in the future. But you, somehow, thought it was appropriate to condescending insult me.

I politely invite you to masticate an entire satchel of richards.
Yeah, I realised I'd misspoken in the part about it being in beta; that's why I edited it.

Addressing the part about someone coming in to answer the question, that's literally what I was doing when I initially started responding but I saw your post saying you'd found it yourself, so addressing your attitude in the topic was the only contribution left for me to make.

At no point have I insulted you, nor have I been condescending. I'm trying to point out to you that the attitude you're displaying is not conducive to receiving help from people, which it isn't. If you're okay with that, by all means continue as you are and see how far it gets you.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@NovusPeregrine: Please chill. You were a little out of line in snapping back like that.

The forum is only ran by volunteers. If you thought you were getting official support sadly this is not the place for it. If you need official support file a support ticket so that staff sees it.

Since you got your original question answered I'm locking the thread too since there is no need to keep this open at this point in time since it is starting to turn into an argument.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I have made 60 new skills! ''after test'' I have made 3 new skills!

Made a new battleback this week! How's it look?
"This is the real secret to life - To be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play."
Me: "I don't to use other engines because I'd have to do a lot of coding."

Also my desktop right now....
mycurrentdesktop.jpg

...I literally spend more time using VS Code than MZ. :kaoswt:
actually, are there any JRPG type games (I guess turn based, so not ARPGs like say, Vagrant Story) where you have only one party member for the majority of the game? (I wonder if I'm forgetting something obvious.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raw2na