RMVX Setting-School

Equil

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Hey, I am new to RPG Maker and still learning how to use the program, I will most likely be using vx. Anyway Im trying to come up with an interesting story and was thinking of a unique RPG setting, that would be interesting, and was hoping to get some feedback to see what you all think of the idea.

You start in a classroom, where you get in trouble from the teacher who takes an important item, someone at the back of the class is watching it all happen, when the teacher leaves he comes and speaks to you and tells you of a secret in the school. The secret is that all the teachers are monsters disguised as teachers, turning the students into monsters.

you have to go around the school searching for proof of this through rumours, there are npc characters who have found this out and have helpful information. they can provide you with new knowledge, which allows you to unlock skills to fight the teachers. some of the students will join your party if you can prove you have not been corrupted by the teachers by completing tasks for them or fighting them in battle.

during exams, there is a story split where you can continue trying to prove the school is run by monsters. or choose to help the monster accomplish their goal. It is important to note that at this section party members may leave depending on your choice, special ones may remain.

its subject to change and I may add to it later, but what do you guys think ?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will most likely be using vx.
worst choice possible, at minimum you should use VXA (which is on sale for around 10$ several times a year).

Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
Usually, I'd say school settings are boring, but the monster-teacher angle is kind of interesting. I would say to try and put more world building into what these teacher-monsters are. There should be some specific race or collection of monsters doing this. I get a kind of alien abduction or Lovecraftian vibe from what you've said so far. If the teachers are just random things from the RTP, I'd be disappointed. And especially if you can join the monster side, I feel like there should be more of a good reason to do this besides to watch the world burn. The monsters should feel like what they are doing is the right thing to do, not "I'm being bad because I'm a monster."

Although consult:

If there's something like the main character is a dork who gets bullied or disliked a lot, it might make sense to join the monsters to get back at humans. He might genuinely think "humans are trash, monsters are cool", and decide to help them get rid of humans. Maybe there's a character who used to be a bad human and becomes cool or more friendly after getting turned into a monster. Or maybe one of your dorky friends gets turned into a monster and suddenly becomes happier and more popular.

I guess, what does it mean to turn into a monster? Is it permanent or reversible? Do they get replaced by a monster or are they still themselves in some way? Are they the same person but now with monster powers? Does something happen to their mind, like they suddenly have an urge to be violent or mischievous? When you join the monsters, do YOU get turned into a monster?

If you can turn people into monsters, I feel like if you choose to help the monsters in the story split, if one of your party members left because you helped the monsters, you could at some point capture them and turn them into a monster and have them on your party again. That's a terrible sentence, but I'm not sure how to express it better.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Reminds of The Faculty (1998 movie) a little. Story wise it does have potential and the ability to choose a side is an interesting one.

Worth a shot in my opinion :)

Equil

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
worst choice possible, at minimum you should use VXA (which is on sale for around 10$ several times a year).
I see, What about 2003 or xp out of those three which would you recommend to use ?

RetailDrone7576

Reillo9
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like school type settings, especially with the "teachers are monsters" aspect or other urban legends with the kids imagination running wild.

Darkanine

...In my thoughts and in my dreams...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I see, What about 2003 or xp out of those three which would you recommend to use ?
2003 is pretty limited from what I hear since I don't think it supports custom scripts, but XP still had a userbase last I checked. VXA or MV are generally the best softwares though, depending on personal preference, though, since they support stuff XP and VX did (VXA is just a straight up better version of VX)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I need a new option on YouTube that goes "Dont recommend videos/channels in this language because I do not speak it"
I've reconsidered having a subclass system for my first two games since there will already be plenty of variation in playable actors and usable items in the games. The third game will need it because of the basis for the story but I want the actors in the first two to be more focused in their roles.
Behold! The Sea Doggo.
I am dead tired but at the same time I really wanna write a tutorial x_x
Looked out side and couldn't see the neighbor's house through the snow. That age old Christmas song started going through my head. "It's a lovely day to say the heck at home."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lolathon