Setting up different parties.

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Dark_Metamorphosis, Jul 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Metamorphosis

Dark_Metamorphosis What a horrible night to have a curse. Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Greetings.

So I need some help with figuiring out how to split up different events with different parties.

It's nothing new really, but I want to be able to to switch to a new party at a different location.

As a reference I can include some of the Final fantasy games for instance (like example FF 9), where you switch to a different party and follow the actions on their side during the same timeframe. Mainly when the party split up and instead of following Zidane's party you will for example control Beatrix and Steiner during the invasion of Alexandria (as an example).

In my game I want the player to switch over to some characters in the game and follow the events of these characters even though they are not part of the initial party yet.

The thing I can't get around is to add them into a new party and switch out them from the current initial party and have their experience gain being triggered individually from the rest of the party members and keep this exp value to the next time they will join the party.

Anyone that could share some insight on how to set this up?

Would be most appreciated!

2. West Mains

West Mains Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    i think I looked into something like this once, and I'm pretty sure you need to use scripts to do it.

Some googling around might help out a bit, but im not sure.

3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  4. Dark_Metamorphosis

First Language:
    Swedish
    Yeah, the thing I tried at first was to just switch out party members and add the other ones (which works great with exp gain etc, Since It's always being tracked even when the actor is removed from the party and then later added back in).

But the thing is with items gained etc in the new party, being able to have a seperate inventory for the new characters seems a bit hard to set up, so my only way out of this would be to have the same inventory and then just switch out the members when a new party is initiated (This should work fine without any scripts if I'm correct)...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2013
  5. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't understand what you mean by this...

When you have a complete party change store all individual item quantities into separate variables, then remove all items from the inventory. Next time you change back to that party add all items back with the quantity equal to the values stored in the variables. But this would be a lot of variables, depending on how many items you have.

6. Dark_Metamorphosis

First Language:
    Swedish
    What I mean with that first statement is already fixed (I was unsure if the exp gain would be the same even if I remove the character from the party and then add it back in. I did some testing and it seems that It's no problem on that part. That's why it wouldn't be a problem to remove the party member for the full time it takes to complete the events for the new party, and then have an event that remove the actors in the new party, and add the actor that was removed before the events with the new party.

Yeah, that's the thing. It would be a real pain to set up a individual inventory for all the parties (especially when It's time to combine the two inventories together when both party inventories shall be merged (I don't even want to think about it). A shared inventory would be the easiest way I think, but on the other hand that would sort of break the "The both parties have nothing to do with each other yet".

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2013
    cybarxz likes this.
  7. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is there a special reason why you're still discussing the problems of a shared inventory with party changing in different locations while doing everything with eventing?

The script I linked above does have seperate inventories implemented, that's one of the reasons why I linked it for handling multiple parties...

8. Dark_Metamorphosis

First Language:
    Swedish
    Yes, I'm fully aware of that so thanks a lot for the share! Really appreciate it!

The thing though, I'm not experienced with that script so far and It seems to me that the script mainly focusing on being able to switch characters (a long with inventories whenever you want). The thing I have in mind is to switch parties during specific events, and then add a new inventory for that party. I'm not sure if the script in question will help me merge those inventories once the actors in each party will be merged together (accomplished with following the story).

I think I'll take a deeper look into the script and see if I can figure out if it will work with what I have in mind.

Thanks!

9. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Player is not the same as actor - you (as the player) are sitting in front of the computer, not inside it ;-)

Or in other words - the script "Player switch" does change the entire party, the naming is probably because the original intention was to make hotseat games (=two players playing in the same game with different actors) possible.

10. Dark_Metamorphosis

First Language:
    Swedish
    Haha that's true, but I'm talking about switching actors in and out to form new parties. Is that something that I could do with the script, and accomplish the thing I have in mind? (Namely switching out actors and transfer them to a different location where the events revolving around these specific characters will take place?) It's easy to just switch out the characters and event everything from there, but the problem will be once again the shared inventory between all characters.

11. HumanNinjaToo

HumanNinjaToo The Cheerful Pessimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There is a multiple inventory script in the master script list

12. Dark_Metamorphosis

First Language:
    Swedish
    Thanks, I'll make sure to look it up :)

Edit: I can't seem to find it in the Master script list, do you know the name of the script in question?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2013
  13. Spanky

Spanky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I plan on doing something similar to this.  My question is, what about gold?  Is that also taken care of in this script?  Each party would have their own gold amounts, so that whenever you switch parties, it goes back to whatever amount of gold when you last left that party.

14. kaarnij

kaarnij Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I need something like this, but the download link doesn't exist, anyone know any other scripts like this or could someone give me the script please, thx

15. kaarnij

kaarnij Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I never played the old FF games but im trying to do what Breath of Fire 4 did with changing parties from Ryu and Fou Lu, i really want something like that in myy game with different inventories/gold n stuff???

16. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

kaarnij, please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

It's nearly 5 years since the last post.
    Also you have double posted i.e. posted straight after yourself without a 72 hour gap between. If you want to add something, just use the Edit button on your earlier post and add the additional info/comment.

I suggest you start a new thread in RGSS3 Script Requests, setting out exactly what you want. It is much better to describe what you want (or provide a video link) rather than say "like game X". That is because there will be many people who have not played the game you are referring to, or who interpret what that game does in a different way from the way you do.

kaarnij likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.