Setting up STEAM Integration in RPG Maker MV (using updated NW.js, super high performance)!

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello everyone!

It's not easy to set up STEAM integration into RPG Maker MV. Who doesn't want to setup STEAM achievements, call players by their STEAM name, OR check to see if they have DLC installed (these are the things I set up in my game, I'm sure there is more you can do)

However, the original guide seems a bit complicated and... only updating to NW.js 33.3 is a bit low, let's update that bad boy to NW.js 49.2 so we can experience a massive performance upgrade to the game while STILL integrating STEAM functionality (We will support PC, Mac and Linux!)!

The trick with this is that the..... NW.js, Greenworks.js, Greenwork Nodes, and your STEAM SDK must be all paired correctly.

So this guide is created to work with
1) NW.js 49.2
2) Steam sdk 1.5
3) OrangeGreenworks.js (Plugin for MV)
4) Greenworks Nodes (For NW.js 49.2)
5) Greenworks.js

////////////////////////////////////////////////////

BEFORE YOU START BACK UP EVERYTHING! (BACK UP A COPY OF YOUR GAME BEFORE YOU START)

** You do NOT have to update the NW.js if you don't want to, though the exact versions of the files you grab have to be different. (Greenwork nodes and possibly STEAM SDK). I highly recommend updating NW.js due to the massive performance gain.

1) Update your NW.js here (Get version 49.2, follow the guide):
Link: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...e-game-performance.131620/page-4#post-1156268

2) Download STEAM SDK here (get version 1.50):
Link: https://partner.steamgames.com/downloads/list

3) Get OrangeGreenworks Plugin here:
Link: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...gration-with-achievements-and-time-log.59469/

(If the link is gone for the MV plugin, you can look through the Comments, starting from the latest back to find a pasted copy, or bug the creator for a fixed link lol)

4) Get the proper Greenworks Nodes here (Put Cursor above Version and make sure its version 0.49.2)!
Link: https://greenworks-prebuilds.armaldio.xyz/

You may have to play around with the "Search" properties on the left to find the proper versions. Get the following
a) greenworks-linux32.node
b) greenworks-linux64.node
c) greenworks-osx64.node
d) greenworks-win32.node
e) greenworks-win64.node

5) Get the proper Greenworks.js file here. (You can download one of these, why not the latest 33.3 and just take out the "greenworks.js" that comes with it. I believe they are all the same. "greenworks-v0.14.0-nw-v0.33.3-win-x64.zip", the rest, discard)
Link: https://github.com/greenheartgames/greenworks/releases

So now that you updated your NW.js to 49.2 (49.2 is the latest version that supports all 3 platforms PC, Mac, and Linux)
and downloaded all the necessary files, all you need to do is place the files in the proper locations.

1) Enable the OrangeGreenworks plugin in your RPG Maker MV game via the plugin manager (place in your js folder, etc).

2) Drop the greenworks.js file in the top most folder of RPG Maker MV. (yes a weird place, the top most folder where your Game.rpgproject file is located.)

3) In the same location of the greenworks.js create a brand new "lib" folder

4) In the newly created lib folder, place the 5 downloaded greenworks nodes.

5) Now you need to put the STEAM SDK files into the lib folder..... These are where you need to grab the files:

a) Open the STEAM SDK:
Public -> STEAM -> Lib

You will see all the platform folders, take everything out these folders, and put the files into your new "lib" folder. (Not the folders, open folders and just drop files into "lib" folder, your lib folder will not have any folders inside it, just files.)
(WARNING! For Linux 64 bit, you have to manually add "64" to the end of the file name or it will overwrite the 32 bit version)

b) Open the STEAM SDK:
Open redistributable_bin folder

Grab both steam_api files (2 files hanging around), and again, dump the contents of all folders, the platform folders, into your new "lib" folder (Not the folders, open folders and just drop files into "lib" folder, your lib folder will not have any folders inside it, just files.)
(WARNING! For Linux 64 bit, you have to manually add "64" to the end of the file name or it will overwrite the 32 bit version)

Thats it! You are done! YAY!

When you check the console f8 (when you launch the game in the editor) you should see that the plugin will show your STEAM Name in the console which means everything is working (it will do this automatically)! Now for STEAM achievements you have to set the achievements up through STEAM Works, give them a name, and just call them by name.

So the following STEAM calls are possible (and more!):

STEAM Achievement example: "OrangeGreenworks.activateAchievement('Name of achievement');"

STEAM Screen Name example (save to variable): "$gameVariables.setValue(209, OrangeGreenworks.getScreenName());"

STEAM DLC check (save to switch): "$gameSwitches.setValue(257, OrangeGreenworks.isDLCInstalled(APPIDNUM));"

Etc!

To get the most out of your game, be sure to check out my second guide, the GPU optimization guide:
link: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...d-mz-second-big-discovery-gpu-related.131957/

Last edited:

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks, Freddie. I appreciate this. Wouldn’t mind a video tut as I’m one of those who learn better that way.

Quick question: do I NEED to update nw.js? I tried it but didn’t notice a difference for me and ultimately changed it back to default.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You dont have to update the NW.js....

BUT the files, the versions of them, have to match.

The NW.js has to match the greenwork nodes and.... I believe they have to match with the version of STEAM used.

So if you dont update and use the default NW.js version 29.4, you have to use the correct versions of NW.js, Nodes, STEAM SDK, etc.

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks Freddie. Much appreciated. Take care; stay safe.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm completely missing on this site :kaodes: How's everybody doing lately?
3dlm3XK.jpg
I'm looking at/working through a simple game tutorial. Town, dungeon, boss; town, dungeon, boss; etc. (Thanks, Yanfly!) I'm itching to make something complex but experience (and past disappointment!) tell me to go slow and learn.

Rome certainly wasn't built in a day. 〜( ̄▽ ̄〜)
SF_People1_2 added!
index.php

Ami
--- Minimum Requirement ---

M.Knight: Phew...finally,i got the New Game. Let's check the Requirement
"Minimum Requirement:
  • 2.00 Ghz CPU
  • Full HD Support GPU
  • 5GB Memory"
M.Knight: I just have decent Gaming PC,i can play 2010-2015 Games. Hope it's okay
(1 Hour Later,The Game FPS Just Got 10-20)
M.Knight: (Facepalm)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cavemanredorder3444