Several Issues... [RPG Maker VX Ace]

AshteriskGaming

Failure
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, I kinda included a lot of scripts in my game all at once and I have a few major issues that I'm not sure how to solve. I have so many scripts that work fine that I'm just thankful I don't have more issues than this.

1st Issue: I have Khas's Awesome Lighting script on here, but I also have Dekita & Venka's Resolution Selection script. I know that Khas's lighting system has it set up so that the script itself tells the screen what dimensions to tint, but isn't there a way I could tint the screen with a image that I could have at different resolutions so the image resizes accordingly? How could I change the script for this? I don't want to break the script trying to edit it when I don't know a lick of Ruby scripting. (if you don't know, the resolution script makes use of separate folders for any images which may need to be resized. Within the graphics folder, say there is a 1366x768 folder with images of that size so that the game refers to those instead of using the default size. (544x416 or 640x480)

2nd Issue: I have Moghunter's Animated Title Screen installed, but the resolution selector script adds a title menu option. Now the shutdown option doesn't show but the resolution one does. I can still choose shutdown but it doesn't show the words or animate it correctly; It's like the resolution knocked shutdown off of the top 3 leaderboard. Is there anyone out there who understands Moghunter's Animated Title script that can help me force it into actually animating a 4th menu option the same as the default 3?

3rd Issue: Also relating to the resolution selector script, there seems to be a major flaw in the design. 1366x768 is my native resolution, but RPG Maker only expands as far as the Windows 10 startup bar before stopping, and doesn't even try to go all the way horizontally. The game's graphics expand accordingly fine, but the window itself does not expand correctly. It does this with every resolution that goes larger vertically than the usable desktop area. The game doesn't expand as far as it can horizontally no matter what. The window seems to be stuck at about 720p but the graphics themselves aren't. How can I fix this? Is there a way to remove the window around it so the actual game can expand more. How much would that really help?

As for any informations you may need, I'll list as many scripts as I can. I believe these are all of them, though:

• Claimh's Battle System Scripts
  • Kal's Change Battleback Script
  • Khas's Awesome Lighting Effects
  • TDS's Low Health Sound Script
  • Tsukihime's Gameover Events Script
  • mjshi's More Informative Saves Script
  • Moghunter's Animated Title Script
  • Moghunter's Picture Gallery Script
  • Galv's Music Player
  • Galv's Shop Upgrade
  • Galv's Menu Themes
  • Galv's Message Background
  • Galv's Message Busts
  • Zeus Fullscreen++
  • Zeus Video
  • Theo's Insane Anti-lag
  • karins_soulkeeper's Better Drops Script
  • Mr. Trivel's Movement Healing Script
  • Shaz's Mouse Script
  • Yanfly Core Engine
  • Yanfly's Victory Aftermath
  • Yanfly's State Animations
  • Yanfly's Class System
  • Yanfly's Save Engine
  • Yanfly's NewGame+
  • Yanfly's Party System
  • Yanfly's Item Menu
  • Yanfly's System Options
  • Yanfly's Parallax Lock
  • Yanfly's Message System
  • Yanfly's Status Menu
  • Yanfly's Event Chase Script
  • and a couple of small bugfixes
Untitled.png

Uzuki

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
From what I remember from Khas's lighting script, the resolution is coded in the script. You can change the resolution for the lighting, but it won't change in game. You'll have to stick to one resolution for consistency. As for the resolution limit I believe it stops at 720p. That's hardcoded into the engine and can't be changed.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Adding dozens of scripts without testing them is a very bad idea, because as a result you don't even know which scripts conflict.

Solving that will require so much work that it might be easier to test the scripts in a temporary new project until you know how they work together - because one of the most important bugfixes involves changing the script order, and that is only easy if you're adding the scripts one after another - sorting your script order with dozens of scripts and no idea which script has to be placed in which part of the order is almost impossible.

I suggest you follow the link "How to use a script" in my signature, especially the bughunting tips there, and then start to identify the problems with the bughunting tips there

AshteriskGaming

Failure
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I already identified the problem that is arising with Issues 1 and 2; understanding why they're happening isn't my issue. I need to know how to fix it.

As for Issue 1, I'm not willing to simply remove the resolution selector just because the lighting system refuses to adjust accordingly. I need a way to make the tint system use an image instead of a scripted selection.

Ignoring the other two issues for now, adjusting the lighting system to use an image rather than a scripted selection shouldn't be that complicated, because it really isn't. I'm trying to tackle these problems rather than removing features that I want in my game. I know the why, but I need the how.

Uzuki

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Then you're going to have to talk to a programmer or the script writers about this. Like I said Khas's lighting script is predetermined and CANNOT be change in game. You have to change the screen size it covers in the code yourself and that CANNOT be changed in game. As for the second issue it's most likely compatibility issue, because you have several different scripts from different coders that change the size and appearance of the game. For the third issue that limitation is hardcore into the engine. It can't be change.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
adjusting the lighting system to use an image rather than a scripted selection shouldn't be that complicated, because it really isn't.

If it isn't complicated, why don't you do it yourself?

If you don't know how to do something, then you should never assume it's easy to do just because you can describe it in a few words - especially not if it involves programming. There are scripter around here that have been offended by people assuming that something is easy in the past and have stated that if someone states something as being easy, he can do that himself - making assumptions that you don't know anything about won't help you.

Khas' Lighting script is one of the more complex scripts that exist for Ace, and to add to the problem, it changes a lot in the default handling - for example tint screen and similiar effects from the event commands no longer work because Khas redirected their functions.

Unless you get Khas himself (who knows the structure of his script) to provide a modification, any other scripter will probably need a month only to understand how that script works, before he can even start to write a compatibility patch.

AshteriskGaming

Failure
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If it isn't complicated, why don't you do it yourself?

If you don't know how to do something, then you should never assume it's easy to do just because you can describe it in a few words - especially not if it involves programming. There are scripter around here that have been offended by people assuming that something is easy in the past and have stated that if someone states something as being easy, he can do that himself - making assumptions that you don't know anything about won't help you.

Khas' Lighting script is one of the more complex scripts that exist for Ace, and to add to the problem, it changes a lot in the default handling - for example tint screen and similiar effects from the event commands no longer work because Khas redirected their functions.

Unless you get Khas himself (who knows the structure of his script) to provide a modification, any other scripter will probably need a month only to understand how that script works, before he can even start to write a compatibility patch.

I'm sorry; I don't mean to offend anyone, but I'm really trying to get some kind of assistance.

I don't think any of these problems require what you're telling me to do, and I'm not going to tear apart the project unless I know it absolutely must be done. I'm just trying to get some input on these problems that might help me fix each individual problem. I never mean to offend, but I have a natural talent for it, unfortunately. (It's literally an inherited trait that runs in the family. You can ask any of the other members of my family and they'll agree.)

I just have a bad history of trying to get support on forums before and never getting any kind of usable advice. I've never found someone who was actually like, "Here's your problem, here's how to fix it." or alternately providing some kind of link or something that relates to the problem. It's always been, "You're stupid, figure it out yourself." I honestly don't know why. I guess I'm just incapable of writing something that doesn't sound ultimately offensive. I have strong opinions and I voice them very loudly without any consideration for other people; I'm perfectly aware of it, I just don't know how to fix it. My attitude towards people is a work-in-progress, much like my game.

I said it's not complicated because the normal tinting system in events are pretty much the same as Khas's, but most less-advanced lighting effects are created using some type of image overlay. Rather than using the screen tint, I'd be using an image overlay to tint the screen which changes for the different resolutions, but I'd be using Khas's actual lighting system itself so that all lights still work. For that, I may just have to delete the part of the script relating to the initial tinting process and use the less advanced "image overlay event system" for the tint instead. I'll give an update if this works, but there's still 2 more issues, even if that is possible to solve.

There's the title menu issue, and then there's the resolution not reaching it's proper dimensions.

If the third issue is really hard-coded, then that's kind of disappointing, but I suppose I can live without the higher resolutions... I'm certainly not happy about that, though. (I was trying to make it possible for users with higher resolutions to play without the kind of massive blur or heavy squinting that arises with higher resolutions. I was just trying to make the game useable by as many people as I could. Not everyone likes being forced to play a blurry or tiny game on their giant screen, so I was trying to make room for those people if I could. I was trying to include the most used resolutions.)

The second issue with the title screen, I'm not even sure. The Title screen script will act as if it's moving to the next choice after resolution, but it doesn't show shutdown text, animate it, or otherwise, but it does sort-of un-animate (if you could call it that) from the resolution option. The animation that displays when selecting a choice doesn't stay on the resolution option. I'm guessing this is because the script wasn't made for any more than 3 menu choices, but I don't know how I could fix this. Moghunter's Title script isn't very easy to navigate. (mine seems to be in Spanish or Portuguese; something of the sort.)

If this problem can't be fixed, I may have to just put the Shutdown text back in the 3rd slot and let resolution be hidden; I don't much like that, though. As far as I'm aware, there is no way to make resolution an in-game option rather than a title-screen option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just have a bad history of trying to get support on forums before and never getting any kind of usable advice. I've never found someone who was actually like, "Here's your problem, here's how to fix it." or alternately providing some kind of link or something that relates to the problem. It's always been, "You're stupid, figure it out yourself." I honestly don't know why.

There are two possible reasons for this behaviour. Some forums really have an "elitist" clientele that give such arrogant answers, but that is not the case in this community - if you read the other topics you'll see that this is one of the most helpful communities around. However, we don't cuddle people either - and that leads to the other reason for such answers.

Sometimes something does require more work than a new user can imagine or will have consequences that will cause other problems. And in those cases we will tell that and don't give you false hopes.

And there is one thing you should never forget: everyone around here has their own projects requiring their time, and no one here (not even the admins or the Degica-Employees) get paid for forum work, we all help others in our free time. And that free time is limited.

So in the more complex parts of projects you are on your own unless you either find someone willing to commit time for your project, or if you're offering compensation for the time someone looses on his/her own projects. That compensation may be money (we have classified forums to offer and request paid help) or other things like skill trades (which would be handled by the project recruitment forum).

If you want free help without a trade, then you have to limit what you're asking for - which is the reason why most request forums here have limits on how much can be requested before we ask them to turn the request into a recruitment.

If you think you can get your remaining problems down to specific questions, then please continue and we'll try to help as soon as those questions are here - but what you're currently asking requires a broad knowledge of the internal workings of several scripts, and unless you luck out and someone who already has that knowledge reads your description, most here simply won't be able to help you with other ideas than replacing some of those scripts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sixth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Never add a bunch of scripts at once. That makes debugging a living hell. 

Next time, add them one by one, and do external testings after each of them.

Also, if you know that you need help with a specific script, post the link to them. 

I used to have all of the scripts you posted, and I even used most of them myself, but all of them are scattered between many projects, and I don't really want to search for them (not on my PC, nor on the internet) every time someone asks about them on the forum. 

You need help, so the least you can do is to post the necessary info and add the necessary links in your post. Not only will it hasten the fix, it will increase the chance of replies by other members who just might know how to solve your issues.

If I remember right, Khas' Lighting script uses separate methods for tinting the screen with the new way, the old tinting should still work.

I already identified the problem that is arising with Issues 1 and 2; understanding why they're happening isn't my issue. I need to know how to fix it.
Just an advice...

You would do well to understand exactly why they are happening, not for the others, but for yourself.

If you really want to delve deeper into game making (regardless of which engine you use for it), you should try to understand every aspect of it, the easy things and the harder things alike. 

As for the issues you want to solve...

- Khas' Lighting script:

Khas' script CAN be changed to accord for the resolution change regarding the tinting area, and it IS relatively easy to do so. You have to find all the places where the script uses the resolution, and change the width and height for them to Graphics.width and Graphics.height. By default, the script uses 544 for width and 416 for height, so you can search for those numbers and change them manually in the script.

But it does NOT use any image for the tinting itself. I don't even know why would you do that. The purpose of the tinting is to make the screen darker, so that the lights can be shown realistically. The darker the screen is, the brighter the light gets, and vice verse. It got no other purpose.

Okay, lets assume you can use an image for tinting. What kind of image would you use? Remember, the only purpose it got is to make the screen darker, nothing else.

If you want to use it for some other purposes, than you want to do something which is not why this script was created.

The lights shown are images. I would understand if you would like to change those to use different images for different resolutions. But for tinting? I don't really get that one.

Okay, this is all I can add for the tinting problem.

- Mog's Title script:

The title issue happens because Mog's script is hardcoded to use the default commands only. You can see this line in the script:

when 0; com_name = "New Game"

And several more looking like this.

Just add another command there with another 'when' line following the same format, and it will show the new command. Mind the order there, it does matter!

And don't forget to include the new image for the extra command in the folder where the other title button images go.

- Resolution issue:

For the last issue, have you tried to change the aspect ratio? The Fullscreen++ script got a way to set the ratio to a few modes, and some of them are automatic (if not all of them).

First, set your game to fullscreen mode by pressing F5, than set the ratio by pressing F6 to cycle through the options for them.

It is quite natural that the game's resolution won't go above your screen's resolution. The script is coded that way, it will not let the game's screen be bigger than your current resolution setting for your PC.

It may no't go above the resolution of your screen on your PC, but it will for anyone who got a bigger display, and you need to keep this in mind.

There is only one way to solve this. Disable the unusable resolutions for monitors which do not support them (well, based on the current resolution setting of the PC). For that, I think, you need to read the PC's resolution directly, and disable any higher resolution settings than the PC's max resolution. For that, you can use a method Zeus used in his script, but it would need to be a public method (and Zeus made it private for some reason), so, you can use this snippet for it:

class << Graphics

def screen_width
return GetSystemMetrics.call(0)
end

def screen_height
return GetSystemMetrics.call(1)
end

end

When you use "Graphics.screen_width", it will return the current width of the PC's resolution, while "Graphics.screen_height" returns the current height.

Using this, you could disable some resolutions in the resolution selection script.

I would add a snippet for disabling the unusable resolutions for the resolution selection script, but I can't seem to find it on my PC, and I am kinda tired of searching for it. If you post me a link to it, I can do that for you.

The other alternative would be to automatically set the resolution of your PC's display the same as your game's resolution setting. This won't care if your monitor supports it or not, nor would it reset your resolution if you ALT+TAB out of the game, and so on, at least not with some extra coding This would create many undesired effects for the user, and I find it generally a bad idea (still, some games did do this, especially older ones).

And just a few notes on the order of your scripts (if that is the real order in your script editor).

Always put any kind of "Core/Base/etc" scripts at the top of your custom script list. No matter if they are from different authors or not, they go first, the rest go below them.

Same with resolution changing scripts. They are best to be put at the top of your custom script list.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I decided to rework my main character's portrait and logo at the same time....

Honestly I was going to use a lot more yellow in the game along with red and white to represent characters.... But yellow really is just like.... the ugliest color in the color pie. So er... I'm going to use blues/purples in place of it. :LZSwink:
XwwX OMG! Only 4 more weeks till I can leave my crappy job and never ever go back! I am SO freaking excited!!!
Sometimes, it's so hard to resist
"this boss is too easy, what if I add more gimmicks". Then I remember most of my players might be already dying fighting the boss.
You certainly should show love and recognition to teammates who have achieved great success! Congrats Eli!
Just 2 Days of no Internet and I made more Progress in my Game than last 2 Weeks combined. Now I know, Internet makes me a Lazy person.. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skydiver