Several tough problems

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Thordon123, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Thordon123

Thordon123 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi guys, I'm new to the game and just started screwing around with it. I've been working towards fine-tuning my battle system and have come up against the sort of problems that googling doesn't seem to solve. I have three big problems at the moment that I just can't seem to fix, and I was hoping to get some help with them.

First: I need to flip the Battle Command HUD at the bottom of the screen to the top, so that I can free up room to position the battlers to not look like they are standing on air/water/trees whatever. Right now I'm using the Yanfly Engine and I can't figure out how to move it.

Second: I want to rename one class's "special" menu command (skill list) to "bark." I'm using Yanfly Battle Commands right now, which allow you to add new skills to the command menu, but not re-name them so far as I can tell.

Third, and the biggest by far: I need to create a very specific kind of skill, called Aimed Shot. The skill has to apply the state "Aim" to the actor, THEN the actor attacks while in the state, and THEN at the end of the turn the state is removed. The problem here is that if I put the add state effect in the Effects box, it applies the state AFTER the attack, and if I make the damage formula:

a.add_state(26); a.atk * 4 - b.def * 2

(26 is the Aim state)

Then what happens is that the state is only added if the attack hits. It's essential that the state be applied BEFORE the attack but I can't get that to work. I've also tried using common events to fix this but with no luck. I'm starting to think I'll need a custom script.

Thanks again everyone, if you have any questions I'll be watching the thread to answer!

2. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    First,
    Code:
    class Scene_Battle
      def create_info_viewport
        @info_viewport = Viewport.new
        @info_viewport.rect.height = @status_window.height
        @info_viewport.z = 100
        @info_viewport.ox = 64
        @status_window.viewport = @info_viewport
      end
    end
    But there are several problems with this. First, I need to recode the battler position so that it will be shifted below since the editor does not allow it. Second, where you gonna put the help window and battle log?

Second, I don't use Yanfly Battle Command, but everything should be rename-able, right? Why not name your skill to 'Bark'?

Third, try Tsukihime pre-skill effects script

edit: fixed typo

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Thordon123 likes this.
  3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Three things.
    First, we strongly request that people post one thread for one question. Having several questions bundled together inevitably leads to confusion, and makes it extremely difficult for anyone in the future who has the same question as one of them to find the answer.
    Second, and linked with that, your first question doesn't belong here but in RGSSx Script Support, and your third question belongs in RGSS3 Script Requests. However, I can't split a single post to move the relevant bits to the correct forum.
    Finally, please give descriptive titles to your topics. Many questions people raise are 'tough', so your title doesn't help anyone to know if they could help without them having to open the thread to find out. If people are in a bit of a hurry, they won't bother, so you lose out. Again, it doesn't help anyone with the same question to find the relevant thread.

As for your second question, go to the Terms tab in the database, and on the left side you will see 'Skill Types'. Increase the number of slots available. In the new third slot type in the name of the skill type you want, in this instance 'Bark'. Make sure you give that skill type to the character(s) you want to have it. It should now show up as a separate line in their battle command window. If you don't give them Special as a skill type, that will not show.

Thordon123 likes this.
  4. Thordon123

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Apologies, Kes, I'll remember in the future. And thanks for the advice.

And thanks a ton TheoAllen. To respond:

1: The battle log and help window I would be comfortable moving directly below the command bar, so at the top of the screenbut under the command bar
    2: Yes, I could just name the skill list to "bark", but then it would change for all of the classes and not just the "Dog" class, which is what I'm going for.
    3: I tried the plug-in, and while the idea is perfect for what I need, right now it isn't working for me. I have the effect in the box w/ the note tag but it doesn't trigger when I use it in combat. Maybe incompatible with Yanfly?

EDIT: Actually the plug-in does work now, woohoo! However, I have some problems with the state applications. If I use the Aimed Shot skill twice in a row, it won't apply the buff the second time. I read somewhere that there are problems with this- freshly applying the same state on consecutive turns. Dunno how I'll fix that.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  5. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think you misunderstand. Go to the database system tab and ADD a new skill type called Bark. Then give that actor that skill type. That will not change it for the other actors unless you change their skill types too.

6. Thordon123

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, I wasn't aware I could create new skill types. Thanks!