crimsonrabbit

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A
I was wondering how to make a shadow effect like the Witch's House. For example:
latest

latest

I've seen the method of making a 544x416 border of shadow in an image editor and having an event display it, but that doesn't achieve the same effect as above. Any suggestions?

RocketKnight

Broke with expansive taste
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I guess witch house was made using wolf game editor. Anyway, you can make similar effect using pictures (overlays) + color screen tone or parallax mapping + color tone + overlays.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
RocketKnight's solution works well with small maps, but if it is a larger map and you need that light effect to move with the player, so that the player is always lit up and the surroundings remain dark, you will need a script. A straightforward one is Galv's visibility range. If you want it a bit less sharp, you can blur the edges of the graphic he provides using GIMP, or similar.

crimsonrabbit

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah, thanks to you both. Yes, it is a larger map than the window can display so I will definitely look into that script. I'll probably fiddle with overlays as well on the smaller maps.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Redesigning characters after such a long time feels great. Makes me excited to work on an old game again.
Phone menu to replace main menu WIP:
It's been that long since I wrote a plugin, it took me 4 attempts to realize it's != rather than #. In a 40-line plugin, 20 of those lines being documentation!
Disk Check Plugin - Running on Linux:
RMMV-Game-Mint.png
workin on some graphics for my game. was originally planning on doing a cartoony style for the town but I might stick with this instead

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
will-o-wistful