Shadows and Lies

Discussion in 'Commercial Games' started by Kes, Mar 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Alastor01 I hesitate to say that it has 'never' been done (never say never), but if it has I, too, haven't seen it. And like you I don't want to use multiple turns to do something pretty obvious and straightforward. If you're having to cure e.g. poison then the chances are extremely high that you will want to heal at least some of the damage it has caused. If you just need to heal, then that's all the skill does, and it only uses the basic amount of MP.

Alastor01 and Marquise* like this.
  2. Shinma

Shinma Lurker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have been fortunate enough to be a tester throughout Kes's development once more. I have played Undefeated, and tested The Tale of a Common Man, as well as A Timely Intervention before this. I can tell you, it's been an incredible honor to watch the progression from game to game.

Anyone that has been here for awhile knows that Kes takes great pride in ensuring quality in every title, and this one continues to show that. The mapping is even better in this upcoming release than in previous titles, and those had great maps. The addition of multi-effect skills this time around is definitely a nice, new feature as well. The story is also very engaging and even caught me off-guard at one point.

The characters are well developed and have their own, unique personalities. Even a good many of the NPC's have very distinctive personalities and don't feel like they are there just to move the story along. I am looking forward to playing through the final version.

You don't have take my word for it; All 3 of the titles listed above have good Steam reviews.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Indinera and Kes like this.
  3. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Shinma Thank you for your compliments - but you are being too modest! Your contribution as a tester has been significant, just think of all those things you found which got fixed and so won't be in the final version. And trust me, there's an even bigger surprise waiting for you when you get the complete version, one which I think you will find satisfying in terms of the story.

Shinma likes this.
  4. Shinma

Shinma Lurker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    /blush, thank you!

Yeah, I look forward to getting to see the rest!

(To fill in everyone else, I played right up through the last area, but I have yet to see the actual ending, the suspense is killing me, lol.)

5. Plueschkatze

Plueschkatze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The mapping and character portraits look great! <3 Looks like an interesting project, keep up the great work!

Shinma and Kes like this.
  6. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Plueschkatze likes this.
  7. Tarq

Tarq Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Surprised no-one's praised the customization options. Hopefully the additional workload pays off in the end because those look to be some intelligent design choices as they remove multiple barriers to entry for players (ie. placating fans of both random and on-map encounters who might avoid a title that does one or the other).

Shinma and Kes like this.
  8. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Tarq It surprises me, too, that more people don't give players the choice of random or on-map encounters. It seems to me to be a sensible way of resolving the problem.

I can, though, see why few people go for choice of class and stat allocation and choice of difficulty level. It's a nightmare to balance, even though players cannot pick the class of all characters. However, Indinera, who is doing the final balancing for me, is a genius at this aspect, and we've pulled it off before.

Shinma, Indinera and Zeriab like this.
  9. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Thanks, Kes. :LZSblush:

@Tarq actually if I recall correctly I allowed choice for visible/invisible encounter in Millennium back then in 2009. :LZYcool:
    Also difficulty modes.

Shinma likes this.
  10. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Exciting Update - well, I'm excited by it.

If I get the last minute things done (including finishing the Strategy Guide) the game will be released Friday 6th/Saturday 7th April.

I hope you think that's exciting too!

11. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The game - despite all that the Installer software could do to thwart things - is now released!

The opening post has been updated with the links.
    Have fun!

Zeriab, Shaz, starlight dream and 3 others like this.
  12. Shinma

Shinma Lurker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Congrats on release!!!

Kes likes this.
  13. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thank you. It's taken quite a while to get here, but I'm pleased with how it's turned out.

Shinma likes this.
  14. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    It is so cute to see a new lil baby poster into your siggy! ^^ Be happy and proud, all my congratulations!

Indinera and Kes like this.
  15. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Shinma and Marquise* like this.
  16. Indinera

First Language:
    French
    You can be! The game's off a pretty good start so far. :ninja::thumbsup-left:

starlight dream, Shinma and Marquise* like this.
  17. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    starlight dream, Shinma and Marquise* like this.
  18. Indinera

First Language:
    French
    Yeah, the launch has been very good so far.
    New entry in the Memories, can't complain with a "I just wanted to let you know how much I liked Shadows and Lies and enjoyed playing it". B):thumbsup-left:

Shinma and Marquise* like this.
  19. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'd already congratulated you on the release in your status but now I got around to play at least the demo version and just wanted to leave a few thoughts here.

My first impression is very good. I very much like the starting dynamic of the first two characters, their thoughts and oddities (is every mirror comment unique? At least in the demo they were. If they are, how mad has it driven you to come up with new ones every time? : D). I love that there's tiny character details in so many things, be it about the party members or random NPCs. Gameplay aspects as part of the world building is something I also like a lot. Oh, and don't get me started on the exploration. Optional exploration with the critical path directly accessible? That's just the best thing. No worrying about potentially missing something!
    The only thing I didn't like during the demo were the sound effects of entering/leaving houses. It became less annoying once I turned the SFX volume down, still thought I'd mention it. Oh, and while I'm at it, Eva's Egress skill's description is the same as Eldan's, but maybe that's already fixed in the full game?

I'm very short on funds for the next months, but I'll keep this game on the back of my head for when that changes.

Shinma, Marquise* and Kes like this.
  20. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thank you very much for your kind words. I'm glad that you found so many aspects enjoyable. I agree with you about exploration. I never enjoy a game as much if there's no side exploration to be done.

Yes, the comment on every mirror in the game is unique, and there's even one where it changes depending on whether you've found a clean shirt for Dathan or not.

That Egress skill!!! I think Indy must have added it in when he was doing the final balancing and didn't notice the difference between the various versions of it. Thank you for finding it and pointing it out. I'll have to get it changed.

If you do ever play the full version I would be very interested to hear your feedback. I think in the light of what you've said, I'd better set the door opening/closing SEs to a lower level. There may be other things you observe which could usefully be applied to my current project. So thank you for your comments. Much appreciated.

Marquise* likes this.