Shadows and Lies

Discussion in 'Commercial Games' started by Kes, Mar 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Started the game today, got to the point where I got Kris. A few early thoughts:

-Characters are well done, as usual.
    -I see stat allocation is back. Though I was a little confused on what the x1 x2 meant as at first I thought it was how many points I had to spend to increase by 1.
    -Interesting idea to let the player choose an early class, and nice warning to not spend the points too soon by the father.

Bugs/Questions:
    -I'm pretty sure it said Secret Room 1 of 30, but the prompt says there are 27 of them?
    -When I fought the bees it just took me to the menu with no notice as to why I was there, so I just x'd out and got the 4th bee fight. Not sure if there is a good solution to that but I can see it confusing players.

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @bgillisp Sorry to be so slow in replying, but I've only had phone access today until now.

I'm glad you like the characters. They change quite a bit over the course of the game.

Oops! Thanks for the heads up. 27 it is. I'll upload a corrected version when Indy gets back after the holiday period - though perhaps I might be wise to wait a bit in case you come across anything else.

As for the other point, I'm not sure how to address that. It hasn't been an issue so far, or should I say that no one has complained yet, but I can see that it might be confusing. Any thoughts on how to handle it?

3. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Made it to Western Hills today. Ok, I was nuts and fought that monster first just to see if I could and I KO'd it on my last little bit of HP (normal difficulty). If it had gotten an attack off I would have lost as my healers were KO'd. Now I'm there to make sure I'm missing nothing critical before leaving. On another note, I chose to have a Bard and a Guardian in my party. Tad defensive based I know but that's how I like to play.

Hmmm...not honestly sure of a good solution, unless you have the party say something about the upcoming wave, and we got a second so let's prepare. But that could be awkward to implement well too.

I also noticed the wise cracks they say when they encounter the enemy troops (the exciting garden one when they encountered the flowers made me laugh). I'm guessing you did that with troop events and variables?

No bugs to report so far!

Marquise* likes this.
  4. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @bgillisp Kudos to you for fighting the Kraken first! Not easy, as you know. My preferred method is to do the Western Hills first, get all the gear and levels from that, but not collect the Thygrod Stinkwort and go and fight the Kraken then. Much more straightforward - even more so if you fight the Mother Node in the Eastern Hills (assuming you fought the Baby Node first time round) and use the item you get from there for protection.

Yes, troop events and variables which count how many encounters there have been for that location/type of troop and generate comments accordingly. Quite a bit of work to set up, but worth it, imo.

5. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Finished it today. Only got a couple little things to report overall, and it's all opinions/suggestions on things so take it all for what it is worth.

-I did notice that the bosses which get bonus turns still get those turns even when stunned or shocked. I have a feeling that is due to you using troop events for that, which ignores status ailments. Not sure if that is fixable or worth fixing, but it was a little annoying when I stunned Lord Fa (I forgot his name, begins with an F) and he still got those turns.
    -Do you think it might be a good idea to have the demon use that magic reflect skill at the end of a turn instead of the beginning? That can really foobar a player and can feel really cheap otherwise.
    -I thought two maps were too dark myself. The area you go to find the statue, I couldn't tell edges from ground due to the tint. And the garden before the mansion (before entering the divide) the last map was so dark I almost couldn't find the ladder.
    -Do you use MP3's for a few sounds? I had some sounds stutter, and my PC does that only with .mp3 files and windows10. Might be worth converting all .mp3s to .oggs as I noticed the same thing happened in my game with all my .mp3 files once I moved to windows10.

I also got the strategy guide this time as I wanted to compare it to mine and get ideas. A couple comments on the guide:

-Personally I'd be more precise with locations. One just said if you had explored you'd have what you need. Except that map was so dark I couldn't see it! I finally got lucky and stumbled on it, but more precise directions would be nice.
    -The secret room guide I feel should state what map the rooms are on at minimum. That little 3 x 3 square is not enough info to go off of in my opinion.

Granted, opinions here, so take this for what it is worth. Overall I felt it was well done (as usual) though. No actual bugs to report!

Marquise* and Kes like this.
  6. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @bgillisp Thanks for the comments.
    There are no MP3s in the game, everything is .ogg Do you happen to remember which these were? i.e. if they were BGMs which map you were on, or if they were SEs what they were for?

As for the locations of secret rooms - it's a difficult balance, imo, between giving such precise info that it is obvious, and leaving some challenge so that the player has at least some sense of satisfaction in finding them. Usually the type of tile is quite a good guide to the general location, but of course where there are several maps there, it could be any one of them. I'll take your comment on board, though, and see if I can come up with a bit more info while leaving some element of challenge there.

A couple of questions in return, if you don't mind.
    Do you think that the major twists were pulled off satisfactorily i.e. (but giving no spoilers) what happens after you enter the Mansion and the battle you have there, and then the revelation when you are in The Divide?
    Did you get and complete side quest #2 i.e. what happened to the Portran family? That's the one that is, imo, the easiest to miss, followed by quest #11 in the final town.
    Do you think that the fade in/fade out mechanic in the Windy Kingdom was effective?

Thanks

7. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Kes : The one I remember it happened to was the sound played when you went to sleep. So probably an ME file I'm guessing? I don't remember it happening anywhere else though.

For the secret rooms, the way I did it in my guide was I put the map name with it. You could always just state the general name if you don't want to go as far as to say Divide 1 or Windy Hills 3. The tint is a good clue though, but if your game was say 2x as long and this was now forest #145 of the game it might be more an issue. So maybe only something to really consider if you decide to make a game say twice as long as this one or something.

I felt the twists were handled fine myself. No suggestions on that.

I didn't get any side quests in the last town that I recall, so I must have missed that one. I don't remember getting quest #2 as I had no family to investigate, unless you mean track down the guy's daughter. That one I did get.

I thought the windy kingdom area was handled well. I liked that the monsters did not respawn unless I left the entire region, made exploring it a little easier.

Kes likes this.
  8. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @bgillisp If you didn't get the Portran quest (right after picking up Kris) then you didn't get one of the bosses - it's in the Divide, and in the last town the quest gives you access to the Well, so you'd remember that if you'd got it. Not getting those 2 would have reduced the total "prayers said for you" variable, giving you a smaller MDF bonus from The Sentinel on the bridge at the end of the Divide. In fact, if you didn't do a couple of other small things, you might have ended up with no MDF bonus at all.

Ahha! yes, the Inn ME is the only mp3 in the game, I overlooked that one. Thanks for identifying it.

Marquise* likes this.
  9. synchronicity

synchronicity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Huh, I really like the idea you implemented here with the shops not having infinite supplies. Although it's not really something I find myself actively thinking of while playing, it is kind of unrealistic to be able to buy as many of an item as you want. I think only a few games I've played have had the limited stock. It's also an interesting way to encourage exploration, and so long as it's not too difficult to come across, it should be good enough. :) I'll have to look into getting this game when I can and I'll give you a full review then!

10. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @synchronicity I'm glad you like the idea of the shops. As you rightly guessed, part of the reason for implementing it is to encourage exploration, and to add a bit of thought to how the player uses their resources.

I look forward to seeing your review.

Thanks for your interest.

11. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    And now it's on Steam as well, with a 30% initial discount.

Marquise*, slimmmeiske2 and Indinera like this.
  12. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    A great game, somewhat a mix of your second and third IMO. B):thumbsup-left:

Kes likes this.