Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
*Warning: may contain mentions of politics, but only in a general manner*
*Warning: Partial nudity (male chests.)*

Notes:
This is not my first game, however this will be my first large scale project. I am mainly an artist and so far I have only worked on this by myself, so I have very little of the project done. My story line is still nowhere near completed as well. One thing I know for sure though is that I have many interesting (to me at least) characters and I really want to tell a story with them.

Title:
Shards of Chrysalism

Engine:
RPG Maker MV

Genre:
RPG, Adventure, Puzzle, Mystery, Modern Fantasy, And maybe some action.. its very diverse.

Synopsis:
This world is set in a fantasy world named Alina where mythical creatures and spirits are common and a natural part of daily life. Among these spirits is a special kind of spirit called a "contracted." Contracted spirits are especially rare and strong due to their natural ability to summon and control other spirits at will. Humans look down on spirits because of their differences with humans and the fear of their abilities. Although these humanoid spirits can walk and interact with the world in the same way as any other person, they sometimes have a hard time navigating because of this prejudice.

The game follows the story of 18-year-old human Atticus Fotia. He is the eldest son of a well-off family who would rather play violin and dance ballet than take over the company. One night at a business party hosted by the Hwan Family, Atticus is kidnapped by a female vampire looking for a long-term blood bag. He's chained in a dungeon for weeks on end being abused and fed on. At one point he turns into a vampire himself, though whether that's intentional or a mistake by the kidnapper is up for question. Eventually, Atticus is rescued by a contracted spirit fox named Hwan Saeyoung who delivers to him shocking news: Atticus' father has sold him off as a slave to the Hwan Family Mafia.

Saeyoung - who turns out to be the heir of the family - tries to protect Atticus from becoming a slave by turning him into his personal assistant, however this comes with its own set of problems. Atticus must follow Saeyoung and help him with all of his missions - including battle raids, negotiations with allies, and maybe even solving some mysteries.

• The game will be heavily story based, with most of the gameplay consisting of puzzles and mysteries. There will be fighting, leveling, and looting, though I don't know how much.

• Chose which main character you want to play as: Atticus or Saeyoung.

• Phone system with apps such as messaging system and minigames.

• More out-of-phone minigames such as card games and violin practice.

• Gallery system that allows the player to look through artworks they've unlocked at key points of the story.

• System of side quests that consist of smaller missions (separate from the main story arcs).

• For leveling (if not grinding), a system where the player spars with an NPC or a minigame where the player trains (like target practice)

Positions/Roles Needed:
  • writers (most important)

• scripters/ programmers/ coders
  • mappers
  • pixel artists (sprites in rtp style)
  • If your specialty isn't listed here but you still want to participate in the project, message me and I'm sure we can work something out. I need as much help as I can get.
My Role(s)/Position(s):
  • mapping

• eventing

• writing

• all artwork, sprites, and graphic design (my specialty)

• basically everything except programming

Skill Trade:
I am willing to create a traditionaly (watercolor) painted artwork of your characters at your request, unrelated to game making resources. I apologise if it doesn't sound like much. I prioritize my watercolor paintings over everything else.

If you are honestly and completely dedicated to my game, I will be more likely to help you with your own graphics (not drawing) in the future. It is not certain, though. It depends on how much you contribute.

Characters:
- Main Characters -

Atticus Fotia:
Atticus Fotia is a pampered 18 year old boy with a passion for ballet and violin. He wants to pursue this as a career, but the problem is that his parents - the owners of a large company - is against it. One day while at a business party, he is kidnapped and held hostage by a vampire. While locked up, Atticus himself is turned into a vampire (accidentally or intentionally, who knows). When he is set free he learns that he will never be able to return to his former life.

Although Atticus likes quiet places, he is not introverted. He is actually very friendly and he likes interacting with people. His weapon of choice is a bow and arrow, because he is unable to handle fighting close range where he can easily see the people he is injuring.

Hwan Saeyoung:
Saeyoung is a 24 year old born-and-raised mafia man. His species is a contracted spirit fox - a rarer, higher up version of the normal spirit fox. His family is prestigious in the underground, and as the heir to this dangerous family, he was raised in an environment where dying was normal. Although he is used to killing on a daily basis, he is very kind and doesn't like hurting people. He does not like his family being run as if it were a mafia, and he plans to change things once he takes over. Because of this difference in thinking, he often disagrees with his grandfather who is the current head of the family. His parents were killed by humans, which is the reason why Saeyoung’s grandfather has a hatred for him.

Saeyoung, because he is a contracted fox spirit as opposed to a regular spirit fox, has the ability to summon and control other spirits to use in battle. Paired with a gun, Saeyoung uses fire spirits the most when fighting (yes, he does have natural fox fire because he is a spirit fox, but fox fire has special abilities that make it useless as a weapon). He is a close range fighter who prioritizes speed over strength. Because of his grandfather's smoking habits, Saeyoung developed chronic bronchitis as he grew up. This, in addition to his anxiety, had lead to a dislike for heavy clothing. When wearing heavy armor or particularly warm clothing, he starts to feel suffocated and uncomfortable. If he does too much physical work without a break, his bronchitis will kick in and he will become very weak.

- Side Characters (some of them) -
Li Wu Xian:
Wu Xian is a 21 year old man who almost died in a major fire a few months before the start of the story. Because of this, he developed a fixation for and affinity with fire, and tends to start magical fires or explosions whenever he has the chance. Wu Xian tends to be introverted and sociopathic. He dislikes interacting with most people at any cost. His older brother is one of the only people he is close to.

Wu Xian is mainly human, but he has faint traces of spirit fox. The Li family is a minor Chinese branch of the main Korean Hwan family. Because his blood is diluted with human blood, the current head of the main Hwan family has a hatred of him and his brother. He became involved with the main family through his older brother, and has started to help Saeyoung out on occasion because of his abilities.

Li Xiang Jiao:
Xiang Jiao is 23 years old and is the older brother of Wu Xian. Before the fire that almost killed him, he was a soldier in the military, and he wears a dog-tag necklace as a sign of that. He risked his life to shield his brother during the house fire, and still has mental wounds from the event. Xiang Jiao has permanent scars, so he wears gloves and long sleeves to cover them up. Due to his mental wounds he has become an irresponsible man. His hair is bleached white and he wears many piercings. He flirts with women, stays out at night, and sometimes doesn't come home for days. Sometimes he even makes friends with shady people.

Xiang Jiao is mainly human, but he has faint traces of spirit fox. The Li family is a minor Chinese branch of the main Korean Hwan family. Because his blood is diluted with human blood, the current head of the main Hwan family has a hatred of him and his brother. One night, Xiang Jiao got in trouble with people while on Hwan territory and ended up attracting the interest of the head. Now he is under direct protection of the Hwan family in order to avoid any problems with the enemy group.

Allen Zhao:
Allen Zhao is a (physically) 18-year-old fallen angel. He used to be a normal angel with pure white wings, but after he interfered with a job he was thrown out. Back when Allen was a normal angel, he sometimes snuck down to Alina to see what the world was like. There, he met a young Wu Xian. Happy to make a friend from Alina, Allen started to talk with Wu Xian, and over the years, they eventually grew attached to each other. When he came down one day to see his friend, Allen found Wu Xian, now 21, and his brother Xiang Jiao huddled around each other in the midst of raging flames. There, Allen also found a shinigami (death angel) carrying out a mission, and so Allen decided to interfere and save both of the brothers. His punishment for interfering with death was his wings turning black and for him to be thrown down to Alina with a mission. Allen must help the brothers lead a good life and guide them to Heaven, or else he will never be able to return Heaven himself. [I know this sounds like the job of a normal guardian angel, but Allen was not a guardian angel when he was back in heaven. He worked in another field.]

After he became a fallen angel, Allen developed a more cynical personality as a side effect of his wings turning black. He hides this with innocent smiles, but sometimes when he is angered, this personality shows through. He can be cunning and sly, and sometimes it is hard to tell what he's thinking. While on Alina, Allen stays with a nice (and kind of weird) young woman named Mira, who has no idea that Allen is a fallen angel.

Yedaiah Zephyr:
Yedaiah Zephyr is an 18 year old merman prince who is 2nd in line to the throne of Zephyria. He is very child-like, but now that he is an adult he has to learn how to conduct himself well. He has a strong love for fish cake, so he sometimes loses his composure when he hears that fish cake is nearby. Yedaiah is not affiliated with the Hwan family in any way, but the Royal family sometimes does trade with them. Being a young prince, he is sheltered and doesn’t know much about the outside world, but he loves to learn and explore (as long as it doesn’t jeopardize his beautiful hair and clean skin). He can be a bit of a narcissist at times, but he’s a warm-hearted person; He does not (openly) look down on others for their comparably bland appearances. His older brother, Crown Prince Lucien, is very kind and likes to spoil Yedaiah a lot. Crown Prince Lucien is probably why Yedaiah is the way he is.

Azriel Dionysus:

Azriel is a young, barely 17, dark elf drow who is burdened by his many older sisters and the pressures of dark elf society. Dark elf society dictates that evil-heartedness is a virtue and that men are as low as slaves compared to women. Azriel, although nowhere near as pure as an angel, is many times more good natured than his evil dark elf brethren. He has become a target of bullying because of this, so he lets out his stress by turning pickpocketing into a pass time.

He meets Saeyoung when he passes him by on the street and attempts to pickpocket him. He fails spectacularly, but he becomes excited when he learns of Saeyoung's "occupation" . Azriel decides to tag along with Saeyoung at every chance he can get, however Saeyoung sees Azriel like a young child and tries to avoid getting him involved. Azriel is very childish and mischievous, and he loves to pull pranks on others. Azriel is also softhearted, however, and he tries to hide his weaknesses the best he can.

Screenshots:

Download Link:
In progress

Last edited:

standardplayer

Keeper of Kitties
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Story sounds really cool.

I'm very confident in my writing ability, with a highlight on backstory and definitely dialogue. I can set up scenes and help make them come to life with eventing. I can write JS as well, although I specifically do not work with the battle system. With other forms of scripting like custom windows, armors/items/weapons and really anything not directly related to the battle system, I'm willing to contribute.

If you're interested in using any of my skills, I'm interested in working on this project. Just send me a PM ^^

Angel.K1tty

Artist with a side of Elegance
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've deleted the demo game I had posted, because I am now working on a more complete version of the demo. I'm excited for it. ^_^

Last edited:
Reactions: a_a

SiiOs

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not sure how much I can contribute as it kind of depends on the size of the project and how long the game will be....but I might be able to help out. Seems like a bit of a fun adventure. Depending on how extensive the need is, my skills are usually in the programming, eventing, skill animation and game design side of things.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hehe yeah having @standardplayer on board is a blessing xD

Once its up and i have time ill definetly check that demo out xD

Edit: seems Im on board too now xD

Last edited:

Angel.K1tty

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Bump! My team really needs a mapper! It will be very hard to make progress unless we find a mapper to join in on the project. The position is open. ^_^ If you're interested, message me so I can add you to the discord group.

J-G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bump! My team really needs a mapper! It will be very hard to make progress unless we find a mapper to join in on the project. The position is open. ^_^ If you're interested, message me so I can add you to the discord group.
I could give it a shot. I have my own things going on but I could map on my spare time. Of course that's if you feel my mapping will be good enough. Send me a pm to discuss it more

phamtruong1992

Mage Art - Green Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you have tile assets available yet? And we only do mapping or is there still anything else? And do it in rpg maker or other tools?

Angel.K1tty

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Do you have tile assets available yet? And we only do mapping or is there still anything else? And do it in rpg maker or other tools?
I have a lot of custom tilesets downloaded, though the mapper might still have to download certain things themselves if I don't have it myself.

The mapper should mainly do mapping, though my programmer, @standardplayer has some interesting ideas regarding map plugins that the mapper will collaborate with him on. If you want to help out in other areas as well even if you've joined officially as just mapper, that's fine too.

I am using RPG Maker MV for this project. Whether or not the mapper wants to use special parallax mapping depends.

Last edited:

Angel.K1tty

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The mapper position is still open if anyone else wants to help as well. Please have sample images of your work ready if you want to join.

a_a

Anonymous Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello,
Do you have a composer on deck yet? I'd like help you out if you are looking for one on the team.
Heres my thread, you can dm me if you need more examples of different genres! Thanks!

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well it's hard to not recognize the skill. I am curious to hear something more intens by you as these songs are all very low-key and relaxing but what I hear I like xD

Angel.K1tty

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello! I am officially putting the game on temporary hiatus. I am not dropping the project by any means. The project means too much to me to drop. Instead, I will be working on sprites and facesets until I can start working on the main project again so I will be ready by the time that happens.

If there is anyone who wants to join the project, feel free to reply to the thread. I will get back to you when I start up the project again. For anyone who is curious, I will pick up the project again somewhere around May.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Broke: Dont move. -boring. -passive. -uncreative. Woke: Bewegen Sie Nicht! +authoritative. +foreign. +reminds your son that he's a garden gnome now.
My girlfriend left a note on the fridge saying 'This isn't working, goodbye.' I opened the refrigerator and it works just fine. Weird.
BCj
Could someone translate something from Japanese to English for me?
You know, I sometimes ponder if working on the story and details is more necessary than the game itself. Its... technically work, just not direct.

Like for me specifically I never stop evolving the story based on what avenues I can approach in gameplay and then I get anxious thinking "hey good thing I thought about that now instead of later". Repeat ad nauseam.
World Of Final Fantasy Livestream~!
(Ft. Kaliga)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
schico