Share your favorite Hidden Gem Game OSTs

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by woop, Oct 29, 2019.

1. woop

woop Freelance Illustrator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What are some of your favorite games that have amazing sound tracks, but usually fly under the radar or you never see mentioned?

I'm a sucker for any game that utilized the VRC6 chip for NES games (Castlevania 3 JP version is a great example, its my all time favorite NES OST).

Here are a few of my personal favorite lesser known game OSTs:

Esper Dream 2
    Train and Minus Town are particularly two of my favorite tracks in this.

Shatterhand
    Nearly every track is so dang catchy.

Silver Surfer
    Despite this game being god awful and having a short OST, its tracks are unbelievably good.

2. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    if I play my favorite games, zelda (from link of the past) and above.
    Donkey Kong Country and Golden Sun Series =)

3. woop

woop Freelance Illustrator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Those are some of my favorite OSTs too, but I guess I was asking for favorite games that aren't popular/not well known.

4. standardplayer

standardplayer Keeper of Kitties Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    der langrisser on snes

MechScapeZH likes this.
  5. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    there is a underated game, Monster Tale for the DS with a good storyline :) I beat hte game and unlock everything.
    It's nice to play the game though if you dont know it ^^

6. Liandra Aura

Liandra Aura Game Director Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  7. Kuro DCupu

Kuro DCupu Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Dunno for some of these game I mentioned. It's quite popular for certain audience. Tho it's not that well known globally.

Divi-Dead (PC 1998)
    Visual Novel. This one particular soundtrack is quite memorable... listening to this remind me of my sad past... TAT

Elona (PC 2006)
    Roguelike RPG. Also my most favorite game of entire time. You should listen to its other soundtrack~ This final boss theme is what I think is the best.

Summon Knight - Swordcraft Story 2 (GBA 2006)
    Aah, the era of GBA... the game is just happen to be in my playlist.

Sengoku Rance (PC 2007)
    RPG VN R18. Rebirth the Edge is one of the best game soundtrack I've ever heard~ Also great gameplay.

Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea (PC 2013)
    It was MEEEE!!!

Yumina the Ethereal (PC 2013)
    RPG VN R18. I like the game for its unique battle audience system and this one particular soundtrack.

woop and TWings like this.
  8. MadRamDesigns

MadRamDesigns Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Every now and then I get certain tunes from side-scrolling puzzle game "Puggsy" stuck in my head.
    Of all my Genesis-owning friends, I've not known another person who has played this game growing up.

9. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A Squaresoft game which I don't feel gets enough props for its music is Vagrant Story:

standardplayer likes this.
  10. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

and, the Elder Scrolls trifecta, that almost nobody would have caught the first time, if it wasn't for Skyrim's over-the-top epicness.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  11. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Eternal Poison/Poison Pink has an absolutely amazing soundtrack for a game that wasn't that popular (and honestly wasn't that great either. Amazing art, amazing soundtrack, pretty interesting story, abysmal gameplay)

I'd also mention NieR: Gestalt/Replicant but with the release of NieR: Automata I think more people are aware of how amazing NeiR's soundtrack was, BUT I'm not sure if people are aware of the awesome remixes from the NieR: Gestalt/Replicant DLC:

12. RedMage583

RedMage583 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The entirety of Legend of Dragoon's ost, most notably the battle theme

13. MechScapeZH

MechScapeZH Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So after a few days thinking about it, I'm ready to share my favorite obscure songs. (I know, I know- I shouldn't have taken so long to decide. But there are so many! :guffaw: ...And I didn't want to put too many links.)

Zoids Legacy
    A childhood favorite of mine. Licensed game for the GBA based on the long-running anime- it really confused me when I first played it since I was familiar with the Marvel Comics version of Zoids and the anime is very different. A great RPG with terrible translation and awesome gameplay & music. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who loves the franchise or mecha-based sci-fi in general.

The whole soundtrack is superb, but here's a few that have really stayed with me for all these years...

Field Battle
    Random encounter theme- I never get tired of hearing it, which is a must for a song that plays so frequently. (That encounter rate... I love the game, but it always tests my patience in some of the cave dungeons. Must I fight the same troop three times!?)

Rough Struggle
    Mid-boss theme. When I play RPGs on mute, this is the boss theme that always plays in my head. I'll be playing Final Fantasy or whatever and fight a boss and I think of "du-du-du-du DU DU, du-du-du-du du-du-du..."

Diabolical Enemies
    Standard "bad guys appear" theme. Fits really well with the antagonists.

Island Dome Skirmishes
    Theme that plays when the party fights the antagonists' minions, who are hiding out in an island. The most memorable theme to me due to how difficult these fights were.

BIONICLE: Maze of Shadows
    My first RPG, a licensed game for kids based on my absolute favorite DC Comics series (even better than non-kids' comics from the company, although that's probably nostalgia talking), which was itself based on a LEGO product line- I'll talk about BIONICLE to anyone who cares and most people who won't. :guffaw: (...Such as 99% of this forum, but that never stopped me from discussing comics, haha.) This series influenced me immensely. Smartly written and never talked down to its audience. Adapted from a chapter book rather than a comic, strangely, so this was a great chance to see a major villain illustrated who otherwise would've gone without a depiction (the plant creature Karazahni, who was based on and modeled after Cthullu since the author was a big Lovecraft fan).

Not a perfect RPG, and certainly hard to follow if you don't read the comic series, which had been running for 4 years by the point the game came out (and it's DC, so... multiverse! Here's the Dark Mirror universe, and here's the Shattering universe, and here's the universe populated by monsters... These are all very important...:guffaw:), but I really love it- I wouldn't be into RPGs or probably video games in general without it. But if you like BIONICLE, this is probably the best console game out there based on the series. The music's great, at least!

Intro Theme
    A memorable theme that fits well with the opening, in which the main characters find themselves in an ancient system of caves.

Stage 1 Theme
    The beginning of this song is legendary to me. "I can communicate mind to mind" says the Lovecraftian creature, "no matter the distance."

Stage 2 Battle Theme
    A water-based area. Mechanical beasts lurk in the oceans...

[​IMG]
    Oop, there's one now!

Tunnel Flight Challenge
    A mini-game theme. You must navigate a cavern while being chased by a very angry robot dragon.

...Good luck!

Stage 5 Battle Theme
    The protagonists face the snake-like Rahkshi, perhaps the most famous BIONICLE villains due to their appearance in the (terrible, especially compared to the comics) first movie, Mask of Light. I like it mostly due to its association with the characters, although the song is great too.

Stage 6 Battle Theme
    The penultimate boss- a living statue. Another thematically appropriate tune.

Magical Starsign
    Another childhood favorite. A sci-fi story that includes magic and draws heavily from Harry Potter- essentially, it's Harry Potter in space. Very, very cool. The Mario & Lugi-like QTE segments (tap a character as the moment their chanting animation ends to boost the power of their spell!) kept hyperactive young me interested, and the surprisingly emotional story laced with puns and hilarious humor made sure I was entranced 'till the end. This story of a group of students at a magic school who blast off into space in a rocket ship was developed by Brownie Brown, who also did Sword of Mana and Mother 3, so they've got quite a resume. Despite the big-name developer, no one seems to remember this game but me, haha. The soundtrack's incredible as well...

Battle Theme
    Another great, low-key random battle theme that I never get tired of. I can hear the characters' battle quotes just listening to it- "hyaa!" "Hah!"

Gumbo Gaol
    Captured by extraterrestrial robots! Great "stealth" theme as you escape without attracting the attention of the creatures. They find you anyway, of course, and deploy a three-eyed War of the Worlds-like walker to destroy you- the first boss.

Where the Stars Sleep (Dungeon Theme)
    Another heavily-used theme that doesn't get old, no matter how many times it's repeated.

Frozen Cassia
    The ice planet. A lonely place, frozen to the core. The music really helps create the sensation of being lost in a frozen wasteland...

Pirate Battle
    A clash with a group of spacefaring pirate otters (can't get more unique than that!). The pirates chant at the unfortunate landlubbers who've invaded their lair, making for a memorable tune with memorable vocals.

Puffoon, the Wind Planet
    A spaceport filled with all kinds of interstellar travelers. Who knows what's lurking in this seemingly-cheery town?

Space Police Battle
    I won't spoil how the party gets in trouble with the law, but the theme that plays when they do is highly memorable. Fight to prove your innocence!

...Aaaaaand now I've written an essay. :guffaw: Well, no regrets- hope you enjoy the music- and maybe check out the games too! Sharing this kind of obscure stuff is fun for me. Thanks for creating the thread, @woop- it's a great topic. :)

14. Mr. Detective

Mr. Detective NATO Special Operative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Some of the tracks from NFS HP on PS1 are very memorable and I still enjoy listening to them every now and then today.

While I didn't care much for the other tracks from Midnight Club 3, the opening theme is still one of my favorite game soundtrack.

I know I will catch fire for saying this, but I find Thunder Spirits's music on the SNES far more catchy than the one on the Genesis. The Genesis feels too soft and doesn't fit with the game at all. I remember watching by brother play this game when I was a kid, and the music stuck to me to this day. I listen to them quite often at work.

MechScapeZH likes this.