Share Your Mental Illnesses!

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Arisa, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow. This is so interesting. Well to be honest I have never ever been to a psychologist myself and been diagnosed for something specific.
    I mean, once or twice, I was invited as a visitorin because I knew the patient and the doctor thought I was a good influence. He gave me a few tips to know what to do, for example I learned how to comfort a person when has a panic attack. Learned that a different approach is needed for every person and that is enough to understand how hard it was.
    Then there was my friend who had an MSc in Clinical Psychology. She told me a few things about myself and some things in general. Mostly she assured me that there was nothing "wrong" with me, while she told me, that every one, and she meant EVERY ONE OF US, is odd compared to another. We are all different, we are all have our times and we all pass phases in our lives. It starts being ugly when this thing makes your life uneasy. If you can handle it it's ok.
    Traumatic experiences though make most of the damage most of the time no doubt.

So I believe I might have A.D.D. but I can somewhat handle it, thus I haven't needed any assistance so far. But I am sure I get distracted easily.

P.S. : People who said they got autism: You DO know that this is an indication of potential high intelligence, right? I mean it doesn't guarantee that, but it is an indication. Check this video too. IYou don't have to be a math prodigy, you can be good on something else. Actually you might be brilliant on something else. I am not sure, since I am not an expert and take what I say with a great grain of salt, but why not talk with an expert about it? ;)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  2. Blinn

Blinn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oh boy....

1: Asperger's Syndrome
    2: ADHD
    3: Social Anxiety Disorder
    4: Panic Disorder
    5: Agoraphobia
    6: Tic Disorder
    7: Persistent Depressive Disorder
    8: Delayed Sleep-Phase Syndrome
    9: Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Contributing factors:

1: Paranoia
    2: Fear of insects (ants and wasps in particular)
    3: Social isolation (being housebound restricts my social life to purely online sources)
    4: Separation Anxiety (parents)
    5: Being a dependent
    6: Low frustration tolerance
    7: No real source of income ($50 a month from sound effects is pitiful, I'm sorry)
    8: No job

Stuff I used to be diagnosed with:

1: PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder - Not Otherwise Specified) - later changed to Asperger's Syndrome
    2: Separation Anxiety Disorder (later changed to Agoraphobia)

3. VertigoAffliction

VertigoAffliction I can still play these older games like a champ. Veteran

First Language:
    ESL (English)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I definitely understand insectophobia (yeah, that's what it is called); I was once fearful of butterflies but it was due to how they moved in a manner that confused my developing viscera.
    Wasps? Yeah, I'm not allergic to any of the bee/wasp/hornet family, but there's one particular specie of bee that I avoid being around because somewhere in my DNA is a reactant to the bee specie's venom that causes me to have a flurry of symptoms after being stung (but they're not additive-I can be stung once or multiple times and the results will still be the same). The bee is one of the green bees, but I forget its' name. I'll know it upon seeing it though.
    Ants...there are many species that love to kill people and/or impede on our lives by invading our spaces (and I mean by more than just looking for scraps on the floor).
    But I'm not really insectophobic though...I understand that they exist, and I deal with intruders accordingly, no matter whether they be insect, quadruped, biped, you name it. As far as spiders go, I have a contraption that I lure them to, trap them in, and then I actually take the contraption and drive them to a park a good distance away, and reintroduce them to the outside world.

Vincent Chu likes this.
  4. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm not a dude who looks like a lady. I am a lady who happens to look like a dude. XD

5. Failivrin

Failivrin Final Frontiersman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Major depression, at times turning clinical. I don't think it gets better; it's like having an amputation. I simply learn to live with depression as a kind of handicap. I literally can't be happy during depressive spells, but I can at least learn to be functional.
    My coping mechanisms are art and exercise, especially nature hikes. And I have a pet rabbit. I have an extremely healthy diet and use some herbal formulas which take the edge off. Given where I live and the experiences of my friends, I don't trust pharmaceuticals. I did have a great therapist but my $700/month health insurance refused to cover it.

6. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Obsessive compulsive disorder, really annoying.
    Also a light depression.

7. VertigoAffliction

VertigoAffliction I can still play these older games like a champ. Veteran

First Language:
    ESL (English)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Failivrin I know if it weren't for my father's association with the Marines, I'd not have the health coverage I do, and I'd be suffering as a result from my physical disabilities, my mental illnesses not holding a torch to the pain from so many things.
    As long as I am not found to be a 'traitor' (fingers crossed because ***********************************), I'll keep all these benefits.

8. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Dreadshadow Thanks for sharing. There are a lot of geniuses nowadays that shuts down to the rest of the world or give up or get dumbed down just to fit some norms. It is sad. But what that young man lived brings me happiness. I had been hard crushed too many times as a kid... it is sad because I am now a wee bit broken on all parts now and scaredy.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018