jayholden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey all. I'm making a game. Somewhat new to RPG Maker, completely new to scripting. Here are my requirements for my game's combat:

1. 3d Isometric perspective - using Layy Meta Engine

2. Active time (sort of... see #3) tactical/strategy RPG - using GubiD's Tactical Battle System aka GTBS

3. A Stamina/ATB meter the party shares (1 ATB meter for 4 characters).

I've got numbers 1 and 2 sorted out. This post is about number 3. What I'm looking for is a combat system where the party has a single meter, like an ATB meter, that fills up over time. Some may refer to this as a Stamina meter. Actions performed by party members would subtract from this meter.

Is there something like this that exists? Or is there a script our there I could alter to do the same?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've moved this thread to RGSS3 Script Requests. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

jayholden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've moved this thread to RGSS3 Script Requests. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.
Sorry! Thanks.

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey all. I'm making a game. Somewhat new to RPG Maker, completely new to scripting. Here are my requirements for my game's combat:

1. 3d Isometric perspective - using Layy Meta Engine

2. Turn-based (sort of... see #3) tactical/strategy RPG - using GubiD's Tactical Battle System aka GTBS

3. A Stamina/ATB meter the party shares (1 ATB meter for 4 characters).

I've got numbers 1 and 2 sorted out. This post is about number 3. What I'm looking for is a combat system where the party has a single meter, like an ATB meter, that fills up over time. Some may refer to this as a Stamina meter. Actions performed by party members would subtract from this meter.

Is there something like this that exists? Or is there a script our there I could alter to do the same?

Thank you.
It seems to me that it's better to implement number 3 as an addon to number 2, so you may want to request GubiD for that(I guess he/she's still active but I don't know).

I'm also interested in how number 3 is integrated into number 2.

Right now what I can imagine is that in that TBS, when it's the party's turn, the party stamina/atb meter will be shown and used. As long as that meter is enough for at least 1 action from all actors in the party, the party's turn will continue, otherwise it'll end and it'll become the troop's turn, in which the same applies to that. It would mean every action costs specific(specified by actors/actions/etc) stamina/atb, and different actions might have different such cost.

If that's the case, then I think the hard part of the request will be comprehending GubiD's Tactical Battle System itself. Once that's accomplished, the rest should be easy, as long as that script doesn't have fundamental conflicts with number 3.

jayholden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's more of an active-time thing where the ATB meter (re)fills over time and the player can input commands any time, provided the party has enough AP to do it.

Edited the first post accordingly.

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
It's more of an active-time thing where the ATB meter (re)fills over time and the player can input commands any time, provided the party has enough AP to do it.

Edited the first post accordingly.
Afaik, in a standard TBS, the battle swings to and fro between the party's turn and the troop's turn. When all party/troop members used up all their actions, the party/troop's turn will end and the troop/party's turn will begin.

If the ATB meter implemented that way is added into the mix, I want to know if the TBS will still swings to and fro between the party's turn and the troop's turn in the above standard way.

TL:DR: I still don't get the full picture yet :)

jayholden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Afaik, in a standard TBS, the battle swings to and fro between the party's turn and the troop's turn. When all party/troop members used up all their actions, the party/troop's turn will end and the troop/party's turn will begin.

If the ATB meter implemented that way is added into the mix, I want to know if the TBS will still swings to and fro between the party's turn and the troop's turn in the above standard way.

TL:DR: I still don't get the full picture yet :)
Short answer is no (though when a character is selected time will slow down so the player can input commands at a reasonable pace).

Long answer:

There are character selection buttons - hold Q to select character 1, hold E to select character 2, etc.

While a character is selected, time slows down. The player can input commands at this point. Press J to execute skill 1; K for a skill 2; L to defend, etc.

So the combat would look like this:

0. Before combat, player places troops on a grid battlefield

1. Stamina meter fills at a rate of ~1 per second

2. 10 seconds pass; Stamina meter is now at 10

3. Player holds Q. Time slows and character 1 is selected

4. Player presses K

4a. Some stamina is subtracted from the meter

4b. Time returns to normal

4c. Character 1 performs skill 2

5. Stamina meter begins filling again

6. Repeat

At any point before or after character selection/skill execution the enemy can move, perform skills, etc so long as the enemy has enough stamina from their own bar (not visible to the player).

Hope that makes more sense.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just a little close up shot...
w2xZocX.jpg
finally drew the last member of "team outcast" for my game. since my game has a lot fighting game elements in it, there's bosses in teams of three like King of Fighters.
Run Script Calls & Play Unique Sound Effects With Each Skill & Item | RPG Maker News #113

Let's continue making our game in MZ! Touchfuzzy is... still eventing... though this time we may be working on eventing some tutorial stuff for our players!

I work late on the game so I sleep in then I wake up late so I have to work hard to make up for sleeping in meaning I work late again and sleep in again... what a nasty cycle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrimCr