Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Moving to Plugin Support

The text outline has nothing to do with the Sharp Text plugin (unless you can confirm that having that plugin disabled makes it do what you want it to do), so I have split your post from that thread into its own.

If your parameter is being ignored, perhaps you have given the plugin the wrong name? It must be saved as YEP_MessageCore.js

ZedKraze

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
[mod]Moving to Plugin Support[/mod]

The text outline has nothing to do with the Sharp Text plugin (unless you can confirm that having that plugin disabled makes it do what you want it to do), so I have split your post from that thread into its own.

If your parameter is being ignored, perhaps you have given the plugin the wrong name? It must be saved as YEP_MessageCore.js
This is what the dialogue text looks like with the Sharp Text plugin off. There is no outline.
without sharp text.png
This is what the dialogue text looks like with the Sharp Text plugin on. It adds an outline.

outline.png

There's no outline when the Sharp Text plugin is off, so I believe it's related to the Sharp Text plugin.

YEP_MessageCore.js is how the message core plugin file is named. I have not changed it. This is in RPG Maker MV.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for clarifying.

What is your plugin order? Is the sharp text plugin above or below the other two? If you change the order around does it make any difference?

ZedKraze

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for clarifying.

What is your plugin order? Is the sharp text plugin above or below the other two? If you change the order around does it make any difference?
I currently have Sharp Text under YEP Core Engine, YEP Main Menu Manager and YEP Message Core (but well above Galv's Message Styles) as the plugin said it should be near the top.

However it makes no difference if the plugin is right at the top of the plugin order, in the middle or at the bottom. I've tried various orders. Same issue.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Cool. Thanks for going through the process with me. As it does appear to be related to the Sharp Text plugin, I've merged your post back with the original thread.

Tagging @MechPen, who might have seen the original notification but couldn't find the post after I moved it out.

MechPen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ZedKraze my go to is to just write
Bitmap.prototype._drawTextOutline = function(text, tx, ty, maxWidth) { var context = this._context; context.strokeStyle = this.outlineColor; context.lineWidth = this.outlineWidth; context.lineJoin = 'round'; if (context.lineWidth > 0) { context.strokeText(text, tx, ty, maxWidth); } }; and then just change the outlineWidth of whatever text. If you add that to my plug in the other plug ins that let you change outline size will probably work assuming they were written to use outlineWidth. And like, why wouldn't they?

@PhilRay I bet your font size is too large. default MV is 28, your font would like to be drawn at 24. Hopefully you are using MZ and can just change it otherwise you need a mini plugin
Window_Base.prototype.lineHeight = function() { return 32; }; Window_Base.prototype.standardFontSize = function() { return 24; };

ZedKraze

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ZedKraze my go to is to just write
Bitmap.prototype._drawTextOutline = function(text, tx, ty, maxWidth) { var context = this._context; context.strokeStyle = this.outlineColor; context.lineWidth = this.outlineWidth; context.lineJoin = 'round'; if (context.lineWidth > 0) { context.strokeText(text, tx, ty, maxWidth); } }; and then just change the outlineWidth of whatever text. If you add that to my plug in the other plug ins that let you change outline size will probably work assuming they were written to use outlineWidth. And like, why wouldn't they?
Heya thanks for looking into it. I tried putting the code at the end of the plugin and it made no difference. Not sure if I have it in the right location or not.

extra code.png

corvid

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey @ZedKraze, I had a similar problem but was able to remove the outline by simply commenting out this line within the DrawNewTextOutline function:
// this._drawTextOutline(text, tx, ty, maxWidth);

Hope that helps!

ZedKraze

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey @ZedKraze, I had a similar problem but was able to remove the outline by simply commenting out this line within the DrawNewTextOutline function:
// this._drawTextOutline(text, tx, ty, maxWidth);

Hope that helps!
Awesome. Thanks for the tip @cordvid . That worked.The outline is now gone both in dialogue and menus.

I should note that code line appears twice in the plugin, and removing the outline only seemed to work if I commented out both lines.

Now the outline removal is solved, now I'm noticing the font isn't showing pixel perfect like in the S and f here.
notpixelperfect.png

There's jaggy parts and the pixels overlap a bit. When it should look like this...

pixel perfect in word.png

Will try playing around with different Text Thickness settings in the Sharp Text plugin, otherwise might have to find a new solution.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did you check the size of the font, as in the other user's question a few posts up? Those jags could be the result of resizing.

corvid

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah, I had to adjust the font size quite a bit, as well as the thickness, to get things looking right. Unfortunately the smaller numbers in the HP/TP bar still look a bit distorted.

EDIT: @ZedKraze Figured I would add some more details on what worked for me, since it seems to be working for a few different pixel fonts that I tried. For the font size I used 32, and for the thickness somewhere between 0.28 and 0.36 seems to look best but at the 32 font size this really only seems to affect especially small text, like the MP/HP bar on the status screen. I imagine increasing the base font size for those numbers would work even better, but I'm not sure how to do that.
If you need a new font, the ones I tried from here worked well (namely ChiKareGo2 and Battlenet)

Last edited:

ZedKraze

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I tried resizing the font (mine was set to 22), and yes that worked for getting rid of the jaggies and overlapping.

24 seems to be smallest size for this to work. From my testing if you kinda do multiples of 48 (MV tile size) you get pixel perfect, no jaggies, no overlapping pixels. So sizes 24, 32 and 48 seem to work perfectly.

As long as your font size 24 or over, you don't seem to get jaggies, but if it's not one of the 3 sizes I mentioned, you do get overlapping, ie if you use say 28.

So that does seem to solve that problem. I'm going to go with 24 for now. It does mean it limits font sizes, but I'll see how I go with those font sizes, and if not, then maybe another solution will be needed (I haven't tried the Victor SFont plugin yet).

But for now, got sharp text, no outlines, pixel perfect with no jaggies or overlapping pixels thanks to the Sharp Text plugin. Thanks for all of your help everyone.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

For a long time I always consider XP soundtracks as the best one.
Just listened to some of MZ tracks from the free version.
It's... Quite mindblowing. xD
Only listened to the battles, towns, and fields.
But I'm sure the rest are equally good. :D
What do you guys want to see for the new Jump into Javascript? A continuation of the rpg_objects, or would you prefer a "lesson 0" where I go back to the absolute basics of Javascript and cover the fundamentals of the language and its construction?
Hey RPG members!!

How do you finish projects? Some new game developers start off strong but end up losing momentum. What keeps you motivated while working on new projects?
Feeling wee sleepy.. ZzzZ
So many threads to move to the right place. My post count is awesome, but 95% of it is due to moving things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sleymour