Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
hey, I'm super new to RPG Maker and I was wondering how you did the shadow? I know you mentioned Visustella Core but I don't know how to use it, and I can't disable the debug features. thanks in advance!

Not the right place to ask this but anyway:
1656301277881.png

ZServ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
This plugin helped me immensely with getting my text to be perfectly crisp on Windows.

Unfortunately, it turns out it causes some issues on Mac due to how the render text differently so I had to make a small tweak:
if (navigator.platform.startsWith(`Mac`)){ var TextSharp_LineWeight = 1.83 - parseFloat(params['textThickness']); } else { var TextSharp_LineWeight = 1.0 - parseFloat(params['textThickness']); }

LineWeight is significantly different on Mac, so I've had to manually adjust it based on if the user is on Mac or not. Hope this is helpful to anyone else facing this issue.

MechPen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ZServ as a curiousity, what does window.devicePixelRatio return?

ZServ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@ZServ as a curiousity, what does window.devicePixelRatio return?
Returns 1 on Windows, 2 on Mac.

There is a system wide config setting that can be changed, but due to it being extremely hidden my research has shown that most HTML5 devs just try to get it "close enough" through CSS hacks. If this is something that piques your interest in poking at for a more for-realsies type of fix, feel free to DM me and I can give you my Discord info and be a live test subject. This value was extremely tuned for this font and the specific conditions of my projects, so it wasn't meant to be a "one-size fits all" type of fix.

MechPen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I might try

Code:
var pixelRatio = window.devicePixelRatio || 1;
var TextSharp_LineWeight = pixelRatio - parseFloat(params['textThickness']);

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@MechPen I don't know if you add feature requests but maybe different parameters based on font size?

ZServ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Yeah, as Archeia has sort of hinted at here, the pixel ratio will need adjusted on a font-by-font basis. While the text thickness ratio has worked fine for Windows builds across multiple fonts, the pixel ratio has not. A secondary parameter would suit my purposes just fine, but to be quite honest I don't believe most users will be actively making an effort to have equal compatibility for their titles between multiple platforms (due to the prohibitive cost of having access to these platforms).

Power users are the exception, of course.

Edit: Yeah, making that change did not result in an equivalent result-- though this makes sense. I had tuned it to 1.83 on Mac, versus it being 1.5 on Windows. By being adding that above snippet, the math would now look like:

((1 + 1) - 0.5) = 1.5 -- Windows
((1 + 2) - 0.5 = 2.5 -- Mac

Going above 1.33 on the particular font I'm using will cause it to simply not render, and as the thickness changes on a per-platform basis the concept of a second parameter to serve as a per-platform modifier seems like solid idea (granted, I'm not sure you would structure that except a bunch of switch cases).

To be clear here, I don't view this as your problem! You've delivered an amazing solution here-- so please don't interpret this as me "fix begging" :)

Last edited:

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think when I posted that screenshot way back, now that I'm looking at things once more, I find that you may want to update this plugin for the text that gets drawn as a sprite such as the text for the HP/MP/TP gauges and whatnot.

Basically you'll want to look through rmmz_sprites.js to find the text that's missing.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A shotgun is not a rifle. Huh.
SIGH its so hard to convince my friend that making a game for fun and making one to sell takes different planning. I don't care about weird bothersome ways of doing things in a game made for fun, but when you are planning to market it, there is some stuff that you just have to streamline or cut out.
It might be a little bit boring and tedious, but building that database of armor, items, weapons and skills are super important.
More words of wisdom: Trying to make everyone happy will just make you miserable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wxzlion