Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

STWStory.png

It's another average day in Retro City, the birds are chirping, the sun is shining, and people are being transformed into hairy creatures and going on a rampage?! For some reason people are being taken over by the hair on their head, they seemingly are driven by a single goal, find and infect everyone they come across! Within hours the plague consumes seamingly all of Retro City, but hope is not lost yet, On the outskirts of town, theres an unlikely hero. The Odd barber with, a compulsive urge to shave people bald. Will our unlikely hero be able to shave the world?

STWFeatures.png

• Awesome Pixel art graphics with a cartoony feel.

• An incredible soundtrack that will put you in the mood to shave.

• Hair raising action in Metroidvania style gameplay with it's own unique style.

• A variety of tools at your disposal range from giant straight razors, high powered blow driers, a giant high pressure mouse can and more!

• Several unique modern stages, like an electronics store, the super market and even the city itself.

• Lots of bad hair related puns.

• Several different game modes, ranging from easy - hard, for story mode, time attack and boss rush.

• A score system which will keep track of your best run on each stage as well as an online scoreboard to compete with other players high scores.

STWCharacters.png
The Barber :
Barber.png
Ever since he was little he's always been a bit odd, he never had any friends for long, due to his compulsive nature to shave them bald. His only friend growing up was the family dog, who he would chase around the yard to try and shave him. The dogs name started out as Rex, then turned to Patches, and then Baldy. When the barber grew his mustache, he claimed it could talk, everyone thought he was crazy but the barber's mustache often gives helpful advice that can help in hairy situations.

The Stylist :
An air headed klutz who while growing up, her parents had little hope for, at least until she got her hands on a pair of scissors, frightened at first, but soon they realized their daughter was a talented hair stylist. Her haircuts would always come out artful and unique, at least when she didn't space out and shave the person bald, she barely managed to get her cosmetology license, despite being the star pupil of the class. Her business didn't last long either, after balding half her clients due to forgetting what they asked for, but now that the worlds completely taken over by hair monsters, theres no one left to complain about a bad hair cut, so she sees this as her opportuity to make a comeback in her career.

STWScreenshots.png

Spoiler

Screenshot.png

Showing off the mousse jetpack
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Download.png

Currently there is no demo available at this time hopefully I'll have a new one up soon.

Credits :

ConkerMich - Artwork

jcbrickston - Music & Sfx

Last edited:

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
*Update*
- Added Particle effects to the player dash, added the following gif to the first post, showing how the mousse rocket works.

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Julien Brightside Thanks :) I just hope I can make the game as fun as the idea sounds(also sorry bit late on the reply lol).

*Update*

-Added Enemies to maps, unfortunately it's still a bit early so they're lacking AI (also lacking enemy graphics, but hopefully not for long ;) )

here's a gif to show how hair will fly off enemies when being shaved. :D  I should have a playable demo out within a week or 2 if nothing goes wrong :D  really excited!

Spoiler

when  the sprite flies off the screen it's supposed to be a bald guy flying out of the enemy :| but again lacking graphics(just use your imagination D:), for now at least.
If anyones got any opinion on this I'd love to hear it :D  it's still early stages but I kinda liked this design, I originally planned on making a sprite walk off the screen

starting from where the enemy would be defeated, however I thought this idea would be more fun.

ezgif-1549389938.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Authumbla

Listen To My Soundcloud Fam?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I love the idea of this. There isn't a lot to say about it, since there isn't a lot to see, but everything you have so far makes this look like it'll be very charming.

leon93

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
You can get more inspiration from Jackpack Joyride app if you need help in improving the game :)

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@leon93 thanks bro :D  haha, but the jetpack won't work in the same way as that game, apologies for such a late response, but been really busy, and will be again for some time :x but, on the bright side, this project IS still alive and well, just on the back burner for now.

Also bump! I've added a playable demo which can be downloaded in the main post, it's got no story/thought out level design, it's just a test of the mechanics, jumping, attacking etc, but if anyones interested I'd love some feedback, i'm pretty certain I've left it in a very decent state, I know of a few bugs, but nothing that'll break the game, anyways demos up if anyones interested! (Shift = Mousse rocket, Z = Jump, X = attack, you can wall slide/jump by pressing toward the wall, which I need a graphic for I know >_> ).

Reactions: Yin

dennoucoil

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Nice idea. Art looks cute and fun. Imo, your game has a lot of potential

Katsudoom

Noodle Head
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Unknown
Primarily Uses
It has it's own uniqueness that took my eyes... What's the battle system/ how does it work?

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@dennoucoil Thanks bro glad you like the art style :D and much appreciated that you think so, I just hope I can make the gameplay feel as good as.the artwork/ music look and sound haha :D

@Katsudoom well, its not really an rpg at this point so combat happens on the map, you can jump with the z button and dash with shift(dash is more like megaman x than the default rpg maker dash), and you shave enemies withthe x button.

Whenever enemies are shaved, a bald guy is supposed(grapnic for this is currently a placeholder) to fly out of the enemy, each enemy you shave will give you points that will add up to your total score in the end, where you will be able to see the results.

You can also gain more points by finding the civilians that are hiding in each stage, as well as collecting coins(which will be used to purchase new weapons, and upgrades, as well as hair styles). As for the characters they will both have unique play styles and abilities, the main difference is that the barber has a melee aproach, his main weapon is a giant straight razor, the stylist will have a ranged weapon, her main weapon is razor sharp scissors that she throws like ninja stars. :D

The current demos a bit lacking thus far, theres no movement to enemies, and only one kind available, and theres not much platforming but that will be changed very soon. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The second draft of my script is almost done, and I don't think I'm going to write a third draft. I'll make changes to dialogue here and there, but I'm happy with the series of events the way they are.
How you feel about font and dialogue box changing for every main character while the minor cast and regular npc get their own styles? Too much?
Just found an obviously custom effect (i.e. edited by me) in my resources>sounds folder called "rip jaw off". Dear Lord what is wrong with me as a person that at some point I needed a sound *specifically* for THAT??
(...rhetorical question.)
so like with the whole 'familiarity breeds contempt thingy', how are you supposed to tell if your title screen/battle music gets really tedious after a few dozen plays or if you're just personally hella sick of it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heis