She: Chapter 1: The Endless Nightmare. (Complete)

CrimsonKunoichi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

CHAPTER 1: THE ENDLESS NIGHTMARE.

**She: CHAPTER 1: THE ENDLESS NIGHTMARE.**
(Please note that this game is a nod to games such as Haunting Ground, Clock Tower and Project Zero. We've taken influences from these games to try and deliver a good little fan game of them. Thank you.)

"and that's how the old man died!........"

That was the end of the "Ghost story" told by Cody on that horrific night.

On this night, 5 friends decided they would go camping in the Old Mansion Grounds because there's nothing scary about this right?

We'll see...

Story!

One Night 5 friends decided to go camping in a dark wood, each taking it in turns to tell ghost stories and scare the rest of the group.

Time ticks on and on eventually they decide to call it a night and head for their tents.

Eve is paired with her twin sister Ada, Sally with her boyfriend Samuel and Cody who always like to fly solo in these situations.

SNAP

This was the first thing Eve heard, making her wake up immediately!

"Ada, did you hear that!?....Ada?..... ADA!!!?"

She opens the zip of her tent to find Ada's torch lying on the ground near the campfire...

"Where is she!?"...

Eve wakes the rest of the gang, who then decide they have to find her, she wouldn't have just left without a word, and she was scared of the dark!

They Venture deeper and deeper into the woods, only to discover an Old Manor House in the distance........

Chapter 1: The Endless Nightmare: 2015

Characters:

Eve: A Young woman, the main role in the story. Twin sister of Ada.

Ada: Twin sister of Eve, She is weak minded and easily influenced.

Sally: A good friend to the others, but she has to be centre of attention, always!

Samuel: Sally's Boyfriend, Rich Boy who likes to play practical jokes.

Cody: The quiet member of the group, he has a crush on Ada and always keeps an eye on her.

Features:

- 5 different chapters to come, each expanding on the story.

- 3 different endings

- Dark shadows and Dim Lights haunt the corridors and creepy sounds make the atmosphere intense.

- 1HIT Game Over puzzles. Use knowledge or die trying.

Custom Menu and Cursor sounds.

Credits (So Far):

- Tilesets - Celianna

- Light Script - Khas Awesome Light Effects

- Music - RE1, RE2, RE3, Parasite Eve.

More to be used as the game progresses.

Screenshots!

Spoiler

Updates April 2014 (2 Trailers and a Demo soon)

Trailer 1!

Trailer 2!

UPDATE: THE GAME IS AVAILABLE NOW!

http://gamejolt.com/games/she-chapter-1-the-endless-nightmare/64896

Thanks everyone :)

Last edited by a moderator:

hiromu656

Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That's a nice trailer, and the mapping is really good. I'm not too into horror, but I wish you the best with your project.

CrimsonKunoichi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you so much hiromu!

Updated the first post!

Delayed_Chimera

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I played a few minutes and looked around the Mannsion and I really liked it. The main issue I have (and it's a mostly minor problem) is that yo can walk over quite alot of objects, But I'm sure you're going to be patching it up the closer you're finished. :3

fruitlapassion

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
spanish/french
Primarily Uses
Oh, I really want to play this game! It looks so nice *-*

I downloaded it, however, everytime I click the icon to play it just keeps extracting itself...How do I do? ;-;

edit:nevermind XD I already figured it out (it was just me...e-e) I will try out your game and post my comments here :3

edit2: so Im playing it, I really liked the maps, the sprites and the art (so cute *v*), but there are some things I noticed;

- Just as 'delayed_chimera' reported, you can walk over a lot of things ouo

- When the maid was poursuing me, I (instead of going directly to the door like a normal person XD) ran in direction to the chimney (in the other side of the table). As I was trying to go out, I tried to atract the maid to me, but she just wouldn't move .-. just stay there at the other side. She didn't do a thing until I was near the door u-u

- When exploring the west and east areas (before climbing the stairs) it would be nice to have a 'save book' close by :D

I hope not being annoying >.< anyway, I really like the ambiance of the game, and the mansion really is beautiful *-* I'll tell you when I finish the demo ;D

Forblaze

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
- I would recommend you to use the events on the objects being checked instead of the tiles beside them. (you have evented a lot of doors already so maybe you shouldn't do it, if it's a hassle)

- you should tag the tile collision problem as a major issue.

- ambience and the layout is really well made (one thing to note were the howlings in the forest, explorers like me will get annoyed by them because of the little delay between each, thus loosing quality and ambience points along the way).

That's pretty much all I noticed. 

It's a nice game. hope to see your progress soon :)

Edit: Missed the lantern, where is it?

negative_headed

Hard to Read
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have to start by admitting something, I quickly scanned the page and my first thought was "Oh comeon, those first two characters look exactly alike!" and then my head hit the desk when I actually read it... >.>

Just scanning the pictures I understand of course those are normal RM sprites (and maybe one of the modern packs I guess?) and what not so that's not really an area of critique, but your scene composition from those screen shots says to me a lot more, Your using the resources very well to paint a great picture. Excluding the Light/Dark engine that your using I can still see that your composing the environments with a good deal of care to assemble a very nice image so once you get bugs all works out and what not I'd certainly be interested in seeing how the entire environment feels in the end product.

Just a bit of encouragement, I really like the effort you put into assembling your environments.

CrimsonKunoichi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you all for your feedback and issues, I am currently fixing them.

I hope you all enjoyed the demo :)

Aeri_Sicher

Rookie Programmer! >.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just finished the demo as well, I really enjoyed the game and thought it had quite an "eerie" and "creepy" atmosphere to it! your choice of background music for certain areas also adds on to he suspense!

If ya want, here's a neat portal tip that you could try out:

- stair portals: the stairs leading to the maid are fixed, but the stairs in the main hallway haven't been fixed yet. Turning sideways after going upstairs teleports me instantly downstairs.
* another way to fix this is by placing the event one block behind the map so that the player "has" to face the exit if they want to return.. using this trick also prevents walking sideways into another portal causing the player to return automatically and overall convenient when using the "event/player touch" trigger =D

To set this up just make the "trigger = player / event touch" and the "priority = same as char"
Constructive criticism (hopefully not repeating what others say!):

- It easy to lose sight of a door when in darkness, I lost the "exit" door in this part because of the dark lighting and the carpet was leading me left all the time.  I only saw the door (the block below the carpet) while scraping the sides for a way out.
EDIT: It turns out the door was lighted properly when I first entered this area... but when I came out of the "Mansion GF" the lighting became darker than usual.. maybe you could check out the lighting in your event portals for this area and compare them =]

- Looking for the door portals were a bit frustrating in darkness.. The lantern you mentioned in the game could have come in good use if you added in it somewhere near the beginning =]

- The BGM was great for adding suspense and mystery..! However, the use of the SE like screaming / howling / crowing feel like they are thrown in too often. Maybe you could try limiting the use of those SE's to certain areas of the game.

- The death scenes are quite dramatic =) It makes me feel like I'm being killed violently, but it's kind of frustrating dying instantly and having to listen to that screaming for 6-7 seconds. shortening the death scene or implementing some way of "skipping" the death scene can really help save time

- Adding to what I mentioned above: why are we killed for being observant? I have to walk all the way back to the save area before interacting with something to make sure I don't lose any good progress made. the game could use a bit more save areas instead of just the entrance.

- It seems you've put a lot of effort into creating a map for the beginning and that's great!  the problem is, I know that most games have some things you can investigate right? so I started looking around for those Items and found a grave, a hut, and a statue.. there was also a grave but I couldn't investigate it... anyways it took me some real "deep" exploring to find them! I don't most people would find these "fear inducing" events before entering the castle

- There are quiet a number of passable tiles throughout the game, I'd suggest you try walking into objects in each map to determine which ones are passable errors.

- I found the numbers "00" in a closet, and I found "12" in a crack. But why were these numbers hidden there in the first place? (curious)
I had a great time playing through the game (not just because I'm a fan of horror based games, but because I like the plot as well!), I hope that I could have helped with the gameplay / bug collecting in the game =]

Looking forward to the release date of this game! (and would love to help out if you have a question on eventing =] )!

CrimsonKunoichi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Brilliant, thank u so much for your feedback. Yeah i tried the teleport on the stairs one block behind but i couldnt get it to work :S

Aeri_Sicher

Rookie Programmer! >.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Brilliant, thank u so much for your feedback. Yeah i tried the teleport on the stairs one block behind but i couldnt get it to work :S
Hmm, strange..  Did you make sure that the event had the following settings?

- Trigger should be set to "Player / Event Touch"

- Priority should be set to  "Same as character" (if the event is not set with this setting, the character will not be able to collide with the event..)

Delayed_Chimera

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just out of curiosity, was that Daniella's scream from Haunting Ground when the maid catches you? And is the maid somewhat inspired by Daniella, or is it a coincidence? :3

CrimsonKunoichi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
haha yes it is, i am remaking the sound though, and she is heavily inspired by her, but there are more than just the maid :)

TheLastPancake

The Last Immortal Pancake of Wisdom
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I stumbled on this thread and I am glad I did. I cannot wait to see this finished. I am so excited, it's not even funny. I actually left a few comments on your videos on YouTube. I would love to see there actually be voices in this, maybe even the trailer. I loved it so much! I'm getting ready to download the demo. I'm excited to play it. It's been a while since I've played a good RPG Horror game. :)

TheLastPancake

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's not coming up for any download links! D: I want to play it!!! Help?

EDIT:

I forgot to edit my post to add that. I'm sorry D:

CrimsonKunoichi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Lastpancake, ah sorry looks like the links timed out... let me know if you would like to play still.

Anymore feedback? :D

TheLastPancake

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@CrimsonKunoichi I would love to play it. I was so geeked when I found the download link, but really bummed when I couldn't get it to download D:> I would love to give you some more feed back if I could get the demo. :) I would love to play it.

CrimsonKunoichi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
New Beta Demo for a Limited time :D

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I tried to download and extraction worked fine for me.

Does your file weight 242 581 592 bytes ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

And (un)surprisingly, I already started developing a old project as MZ code right off from the bat. Waiting the launch anxiously...
Is there a single word I can use instead Magic Defense", but has the same meaning?
does anyone know where I could theoretically post a game i made full of copyrighted content so that I can get feedback on it

edit: not looking to make any money or anything. just want criticism
Yay! It's raining! ^.^
I decided to take part in the One Map Game Challenge. :LZSexcite:
Finished the map itself, just need to finish the actual game lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johhni