Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I hope people see this and can give an answer (I don't come to this thread very often)

I'm trying to figure out a word to use that would represent a shield for a magic user.
For a warrior you have Body armor, helmet, boots, shield, gauntlet, belt, grieves, armlet, coif etc..
But for a magic user you have robe, hood, gloves, boots, belt, maybe more
So I want to have a category for a shield for a magic user but have it called something else.

The best I could find/think of is ward, protector, badge
But not really good names.

I'm kind of thinking it could be like a magic ball that floats over the shoulder, or a small piece of armour that is attached to the robe/arm.

Thoughts?

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Shield/Buckler/Ward
Helm/Cap/Hood
Armor/Robe
Gauntlet/Bracer/Glove
Grieves/Boots
Cape/Amulet/Necklace/Pendant/Ring

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Besides ring and cape, a magic belt would also be good. One of the characters in Dragon Quest Dai had a magic belt that amplified his defense, if I recall correctly.

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
MZ has bracelets for its mages' shields in the default database. I believe Phantasy Star has similar for female characters ("emels" and sleeves). I've pondered mages and rogues getting bucklers instead of full-sized shields, but my fantasy games aim more toward historical combat than enchanted gear. Alternatively, an off-hand mage item that doesn't boost DEF could be a wand, spellbook, etc.

Last edited:

duty

Keepin' it simple
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Stuff worn on the arm
  • Armlet
  • Band
  • Bangle
  • Bracelet
  • Wristlet

Floaty thingie
  • Ball
  • Bauble
  • Censer (these were incense burners that were occasionally mounted to long chains)
  • Circle (maybe a magic circle, or something that circles the owner)
  • Deflector
  • Drone (before they referred to machines, this was a word for ants and bees)
  • Screen

Nova By Creative Robot

Creator of NOIM
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
it can also be a Tome, another Wand, A crystal ball etc. Anything item that can do magic that you carry like a shield. In games like Diablo/Grimdawn they categorize this as an "Off-hand" equipment.

Ami

World Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I create Magic Ring in Shield,which greatly increase MDF 2x than DEF (i design it for Magic User,not the other).

For Elemental,i can make it with Absorbing or Reflecting Traits

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Aaaaannd published my game's tech demo. :D

Feel free to download and play it. And give feedback!
Hey everyone, we know that the edit bar is missing. We're working on it. You can talk about it in the announcement here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/forum-errors-missing-edit-bar-etc.132715/
So, explain why we can no longer use BBC code or smilies in our posts? This sparks much sadness...
Are we now stuck with WYSIWYG ? I cannot revert back my posts to good old raw text ?
I'm wondering if I may be putting too many things into one map. A story, within a story, within a story . . . it's fun, but I can't shake the feeling that it may be better to scrap some of it, and use it for another map. I'm not sure what to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nachteulen