Shifting the Walls

patternscribe

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
(I looked over the other resources here and didn't see anything exactly like this - if there is and I missed it, well here's another version ^_^;; )

One of the major things that has always bothered me when I am trying to create maps is that placing items in front of walls never looks quite right. I've read in a few different places that a few other people have felt the same way. So, I decided to take it upon myself to make something that - to me at least - looked better.

These edits are only of the 'Outside' tileset and consist of mostly the walls themselves and additional tabs needed to allow you to lay them out in a presentable manner. There are also a few recolorations and piece-meal bits from me wanting to adjust colors and making bits to allow the map recreation (more on that ahead)

The walls as given in the RTP:

Original.png
The walls after some shift editing:

Shifted.png
To allow for the extra half-block, all the auto-tile walls had to be adjusted. The 'bottom' of walls is now on a separate tab: Outside_D. This does mean that map creation can take a bit more work, but I believe the end result is well worth it.

It's just a half-block shift, but it makes all the difference. The pictures give you a general idea, but it can be hard to understand until you see it in action. So, there is a *very* basic VX Ace project attached to this post. Unzipping the file will give you access to the edited RTP files in the appropriate resource folders. There are 4 maps: two correspond to the images posted here. Of the other two, one is a sample map provided with VX Ace by default. The last is a recreation of that map using the new shifted tiles. Starting up the 'Test Game' places you in the original sample map so you can get a feel of it first. There is then a teleporter at the bottom of the map to take you to the alternate version.

I hope someone else can find these useful. Thanks for having a look!

Building.zip

Attachments

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Huh, that's an unusual method.  This means that anything mapped in front of the walls has to be evented, but it does make for a more natural looking height for single story houses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Turns out 4 layers is A LOT.
I noticed random Japanese dialogue in the FF7 remake while playing in English. More than once. Just now I saved a vid where Tifa spoke Japanese after a battle. We all make mistakes lol, this is kinda funny though
I wonder if the new RPG Maker will have a built-in ABS for maps or a light effect system plugin out of the box.
Not having false expectations, but if it has both, then wow. I am gonna party all night. Nah I lie. I will party all night anyway, just searching for a good excuse. :stickytongue:
And BAM!, the moment you do understand Python setters by studying JS prototypes. That's called SERENDIPITY, coming with something when you was searching for something else. From "The three Princes of Serendib", a persian novel.
The sinking feeling when you realize your grandmother probably isn't long for this world, and the frustration when you know that this pandemic will take her away...not because she has Covid, but because no doctor is willing to see a patient to even run simple diagnostics anymore if one of her symptoms happens to be a recurring fever, even if her primary care physician gives her the test and it comes back negative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lovekraft