Ikari

Noir Spiral
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Not sure if this topic has been posted already, but has anyone watched Shingeki No Kyojin/Attack on Titan lately?

It's... I think there's a pretty high chance that it's going to be the Anime of 2013 or Anime of the Year, since it's pretty much one heck of a great show.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
well, I like episode 14... Eren got beat up pretty badly... XD...

Hesufo

Homu!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
I downloaded the first episode some time ago, but didn't finish watching it.

I feel compelled to now, because, apparently, its popularity has been increasing exponentially as time goes on. If it's that amazing then I've got to watch it.

Kaiser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Attack on Titan. Amazing anime. It truly is. I could gush about it all day but I won't.

Jawnsunn

glass cannon
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Not really the best anime. The scenes are a bit too drawn out, though I dig it for being story heavy.

Though it has the best meme.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The only thing I kinda not really like is that the progress seems slow... I think some of the parts could have been made faster or skipped out...

zacheatscrackers

Machinehead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good stuff. Pretty disturbing, though.

And there's alot of gore and **** for a shonen; I swear, I honest-to-god thought it was a seinen at first, lol. Doesn't ruin it, though; still a great anime which I recommend watching, and I actually think all the mature overtones enhances it and gives it a thrilling feeling.

The absolutely Frick-awesome first appearance of the Armored Titan and Eren revealing his Titan form are probably my favorite moments in the series so far

Last edited by a moderator:

Ikari

Noir Spiral
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Good stuff. Pretty disturbing, though.

And there's alot of gore and **** for a shonen; I swear, I honest-to-god thought it was a seinen at first, lol. Doesn't ruin it, though; still a great anime which I recommend watching, and I actually think all the mature overtones enhances it and gives it a thrilling feeling.

The absolutely Frick-awesome first appearance of the Armored Titan and Eren revealing his Titan form are probably my favorite moments in the series so far
Aha, sometimes it is pretty gorey. But, I suppose they censored it or something like that, or I hear they do.

I agree with you all the freaking way about the Armored Titan and Eren revealing his Titan Form. I can't wait for the other stuff that happens. But, never check Attack on Titan videos on YouTube cause they indeed do contain alot of spoilers. To be more specific lol, just don't scroll down onto the comments. After all there are alot of people like to fool around and ruin all the fun for others who watch the anime.

Probotector 200X

Probotect and Serve
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I heard people talking about this show for a long time, not knowing what it was. I also remember hearing about some violent anime about giants that eat people, which sounded really unappealing. And...to find out they are the same thing?? Uh....

All I know is that random ugly giants eat people just 'cuz. So...not interested. And people even say it's gorey, so...really not interested. I'd rather watch Yu-Gi-Oh!, thank you.

Jawnsunn

glass cannon
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It isn't that bad compared to the manga.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've read the manga, and think it's a pretty bad series. It's about 45 chapters in (though page count is more important as every chapter has about 40 pages), and we barely know anything about the lore of the world, characters keep dying left and right so we're not left with many to remember, and honestly - what the hell is going on? It's worse than Gantz. At least Gantz had progress in that amount of chapters. In this one, it's like a tiny bit of information gets revealed, and then they don't address it until chapters later, which feels like an eon.

I don't get the popularity, I seriously don't. They had a great premise (big huge monsters attacking humanity, and the 3D gear), but then totally wasted it on ... I have no idea, drawing gore?

Ikari

Noir Spiral
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, I still think it's good.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
yeah, I find the time flow of the story seriously slow... there were lots of parts that could have been removed...

Last edited by a moderator:

Subaru

lvl. 20 Vocaloid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
I've read the manga, and think it's a pretty bad series. It's about 45 chapters in (though page count is more important as every chapter has about 40 pages), and we barely know anything about the lore of the world, characters keep dying left and right so we're not left with many to remember, and honestly - what the hell is going on? It's worse than Gantz. At least Gantz had progress in that amount of chapters. In this one, it's like a tiny bit of information gets revealed, and then they don't address it until chapters later, which feels like an eon.

I don't get the popularity, I seriously don't. They had a great premise (big huge monsters attacking humanity, and the 3D gear), but then totally wasted it on ... I have no idea, drawing gore?
Well I've heard a few times that the anime is a lot better than the manga, but I still agree that events move a little slow. I guess it gained popularity because of its somewhat unique theme, and some of my friends say that they like the anime because of the intense action and atmosphere. I'm not too huge a fan of the gore myself, but the action is well done for the most part, 

Of course, you can't judge an anime by one factor alone, but I think it's worth giving a chance. Maybe things will start picking up at one point? :)

Ikari

Noir Spiral
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well I've heard a few times that the anime is a lot better than the manga, but I still agree that events move a little slow. I guess it gained popularity because of its somewhat unique theme, and some of my friends say that they like the anime because of the intense action and atmosphere. I'm not too huge a fan of the gore myself, but the action is well done for the most part, 

Of course, you can't judge an anime by one factor alone, but I think it's worth giving a chance. Maybe things will start picking up at one point? :)
Exactly.

Happy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I haven't read the manga, so I can't speak from its behalf, but the anime, oh my god it's hard to compare it to any other existing title.

I've seen a lot of series, and some of my favorite ones are those that have intriguing slightly philosophical or ethical overtones and strong characters. (Berserk, Monster, Gungrave) though I also like series that are just generally well directed and maintain a solid flow (Death Note, TTGL, GTO, Steins;Gate, etc), though if they get way too illogical or incoherent, I find them pretty hard to enjoy. (Hello Code Geass I'm looking at you.)

However, I can't see how Shingeki No Kyojin's anime adaption would have a slow progress. Maybe compared to some titles (which ones, actually?) but I feel that most episodes have succesfully established strong themes. I was pretty amazed how the episode that explained Mikasa's past was done, for example. (The scene which explains natural instincts.)

I keep continuously noticing different thematic motifs and references to modern world. I feel the series presents many interesting topics that have just been disguised to Shingeki no Kyojin's setting. The series also has quite a bit of foreshadowing, so I wouldn't say it's confusing.

I wouldn't say that the progression is entirely predictable either, though, because unlike other animes this series manages to maintain relatively realistic approach, by which I mean that the characters and their actions feel real because their logic and feelings aren't neglected in order for the plot to advance.

Long story short: I feel this series has mature approach and it is thought provoking. If you've got a very short attention span, it might not be fore you.

For me it's currently tying on my favorite series' place with Berserk.

Aceri

Author
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

I think the reason why the manga takes so long to get into it and why they keep killing off characters that show up is because they want you to feel the hopelessness that the world is set in.

I think the reason why the anime is so popular over the manga is because the animation is top notch in comparison to some of the other popular ones out there. Also in the anime you get the lore of the world and the theme/atmosphere of it all within the first couple episodes, so they've really cut out a lot of what slowed down the manga, even though the anime still has a lot of "Stand here and lament being born" stuff.

Also, season 1 had one of the better anime intros I've seen in a while.

Fatalfugus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
It's a painfully disturbing and depressing show to watch. However, it has also brought me to my feet and made me cheer in joy when something actually goes right.

No anime beforehand has done this to me before. Heck, few TV shows or movies have done this before as well.

Attack on Titan, for the emotional draw I feel when watching it, gets my approval.

Ikari

Noir Spiral
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Stay away from the Shingeki No Kyojin YouTube comments cause they contain spoilers.

I repeat, stay away from them. You can watch the videos, but do not look at the comments.

www.quickmeme.com/meme/3q9ry4/

Tewky

Wannabe Designer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Loved the idea, for a while, but it hit >THAT< point, and then was like... The direction was just all wrong... Still watching it, though. Not as good, but still good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I started to paint again after it didn't fit my female character. (I really intend to draw women)

I was more focused on female characters than men.

Score Rundown for the demo I'm trying to get done before Halloween, Or around it. Ending is based on your score currently.
Oh goooood, why am putting so many skills into my game AAAAAAAAAAAA!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeoLightningProductions