Ship gameplay ideas

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by xXEm41lXx, Jun 14, 2019.

1. xXEm41lXx

xXEm41lXx Villager Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've created a ship that has two functions: moving across the map and some kind of "hub", where you can talk with your crew, craft new items after you'd went down to the deck, etc.
    But distance between islands is too large and the player can be bored. So I'm looking for solutions to improve gameplay on the sea.
    Any ideas?

2. JayIsrael

JayIsrael Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I believe there is a plugin that can allow dialogue boxes to appear that do not stop game play - so you could have crew members chatting while you're sailing.
    Also, you could of course have sea monsters, or random weather events that may make it harder to sail (like when there is a thunder storm, you could make it so that every few seconds the player's ship is forced backwards or in a random direction).

Maybe random attacks by pirates ships?

Whirlpools?

Hm. You could use the Oregon Trail as a guide. Sailing could initiate multiple invisible timers (https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/multi-timers.50474/ ) that determine how hungry your crew is getting (so maybe you have to stop for fishing mini-games), illness among crew members, crew happiness could go down after a little while of inactivity, and there could be things you have to do in order to make the crew happy again, etc.

Honestly - I am surprised that I have not seen anyone attempt "Oregon Trail on the ocean" before.

xXEm41lXx likes this.
  3. SolonWise

SolonWise The Lonely Maker Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can create a minigame where you can salvage treasure in the sea, or even fight pirates with your ship. It don't need to be too complicated, just create a variable that controls the ship "salvage skill", and a variable that controls the ship "battling skill". Specific actions will raise these numbers through the game, like buying a new cannon or a new crane, and then, you only need to do an event in the sea with a branch condition: If salvage skill is higher than 5, then your get a treasure. If not, then the salvage fails. You can put a lot of treasures events along the sea between the island, or pirate ships for the naval battle.

xXEm41lXx likes this.
  4. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Unless the sea exploration aspect is important, you could just skip the sea travel and instead, have interacting with your ship offer a list of destinations to choose from.

Eschaton and empresskiova like this.
  5. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    you can have the player talk to all npc's on the ship, than accure a mini boss fight "kraken" than land, or do
    a mini quest on the ship that someone stole some items and finish the quest before they board the lands? rather than 2-5min waiting?

6. empresskiova

empresskiova Untitled Project1 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Honestly, I generally go with @Aesica ’s route and just have sailing be a menu and skip the long sailing bits. You can toss a random encounter in there every once in a while to help with sailing monotony.

7. Marsigne

Marsigne Sephiroth Veteran

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    You can have timed trips, and have mini-games on the ship while the player waits for them to reach their destination. ;)