Ship gameplay ideas

xXEm41lXx

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've created a ship that has two functions: moving across the map and some kind of "hub", where you can talk with your crew, craft new items after you'd went down to the deck, etc.
But distance between islands is too large and the player can be bored. So I'm looking for solutions to improve gameplay on the sea.
Any ideas?

JayIsrael

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I believe there is a plugin that can allow dialogue boxes to appear that do not stop game play - so you could have crew members chatting while you're sailing.
Also, you could of course have sea monsters, or random weather events that may make it harder to sail (like when there is a thunder storm, you could make it so that every few seconds the player's ship is forced backwards or in a random direction).

Maybe random attacks by pirates ships?

Whirlpools?

Hm. You could use the Oregon Trail as a guide. Sailing could initiate multiple invisible timers (https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/multi-timers.50474/ ) that determine how hungry your crew is getting (so maybe you have to stop for fishing mini-games), illness among crew members, crew happiness could go down after a little while of inactivity, and there could be things you have to do in order to make the crew happy again, etc.

Honestly - I am surprised that I have not seen anyone attempt "Oregon Trail on the ocean" before.

SolonWise

The Lonely Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can create a minigame where you can salvage treasure in the sea, or even fight pirates with your ship. It don't need to be too complicated, just create a variable that controls the ship "salvage skill", and a variable that controls the ship "battling skill". Specific actions will raise these numbers through the game, like buying a new cannon or a new crane, and then, you only need to do an event in the sea with a branch condition: If salvage skill is higher than 5, then your get a treasure. If not, then the salvage fails. You can put a lot of treasures events along the sea between the island, or pirate ships for the naval battle.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unless the sea exploration aspect is important, you could just skip the sea travel and instead, have interacting with your ship offer a list of destinations to choose from.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you can have the player talk to all npc's on the ship, than accure a mini boss fight "kraken" than land, or do
a mini quest on the ship that someone stole some items and finish the quest before they board the lands? rather than 2-5min waiting?

empresskiova

Untitled Project1
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Honestly, I generally go with @Aesica ’s route and just have sailing be a menu and skip the long sailing bits. You can toss a random encounter in there every once in a while to help with sailing monotony.

Marsigne

Hello There
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You can have timed trips, and have mini-games on the ship while the player waits for them to reach their destination. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Trauma, drama, llamas--sadly the only one of those things I'm not experiencing RN is the camelids.
Do you ever just write or say nonsense? String together words to make a sentence that sounds pretty but is meaningless?
Writing down my ideas for my next game during break times at work XD I need to finish my current one very soon.
I survived Baudelaire and Bukowski, but I can't face C. Lispector. :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
severopv