GutshotStr8

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Shipwrecked!

After a freak storm wrecks his ship, Andrew finds himself stranded on a mysterious island. He must use his wits and his survival skills to forage for food, craft items and armor, and defeat the island's monstrous inhabitants. Andrew's search for other survivors eventually reveals some surprising information about his ship's most recent voyage, as well as a suspicious stranger who may or may not be an ally.

Loosely based on a game idea I first began working on in XP, Shipwrecked! is the first project I've ever brought to a level suitable for public release. This is the first chapter, and while I'd be very grateful for all feedack, I'm particularly curious to hear what people think I should focus on improving first when working on subseqeuent projects or revisiting this one (because I realize just about everything could be improved): better mapping, more custom art, a more unique battlesystem, etc.?

Download without RTP        Download with VXACE RTP

Features

• Sixty to ninety minutes of gameplay exploring themes of self-sufficiency, survival, and isolation.
  • Front-view, turn-based battlesystem with a focus on strategy. You will often fight solo againt two, three, or even four enemies at once, which means you must reach deep into your bag of tricks to stay alive.
  • A subclass system that gives you the flexibility to switch back and forth between a caster-type and a rogue-type, keeping the skills you learn along the way.
  • Encounters that aren't visible on the map, but aren't random either. That means that once a map is clear, you can explore or backtrack without the hassle of new battles popping up.
  • Several hidden mini-bosses who require even more careful strategizing to defeat.
  • A simple crafting system that provides most in-game items. There are no treasure chests, so most armor and potions have to be crafted from raw materials found on the island.
  • Multiple armor sets that give bonus skills if you craft and wear the entire set.
  • Several different types of puzzles, including one that is integrated into a boss battle.
  • Participatory dialogue where you decide how you'll interact with other characters. Your choices influence how they treat you, whether they remain in your party, how your character develops, and other important plot details.
  • Out of combat skills that aid in exploring the island and finding hidden areas.
Screenshots

Port_zpsb722b063.png

Discover the secrets behind your ill-fated voyage.

Poker_zps42465106.png

A game of poker.

Labyrinth_zps0f3f35dd.png

Race against time to evade minotaurs in a multi-level labyrinth.

Angel_zps9b7e0937.png

Interactive dialogue where your choices influence the plot, the composition of your party, and more.

ConnectingCave_zps026a5ad3.png

Explore the island to find other survivors, as well as the resources you'll need for your own survival.
Credits

A few of of these maps/features were done a long time ago, and in a few cases I lost track of where a certain resource came from. I believe I've deleted any resource that I was unable to credit, but if you believe I missed any, please let me know and I will correct ASAP.
Enterbrain, across the board

Tiles
Pandamaru
Lunarea
Liberty
Grandmadeb (for pointing to so many great resources)
Ahref

Animation
Timmah/LexusX
wondertouch for Particle Illusion 3

Music
Quigon
Scythuz

Scripts
Galv
CSCA
Coelocanth
Yanfly
Hime

Battlers
Thalzon

Pictures
carbajosa

Artificer

Creator of worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Español
Primarily Uses
RMMV
[SIZE=10.5pt]Hello [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]GutshotStr8[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt], i played your game and i give it a nice score:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsG4mOr7O1w&feature=youtu.be[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The idea is cool, I was reminder a lot to the Robinson Crusoe history, I was like what is going to happen where I am going to be, it gets me very fast get involving into the drama, there could be better references like what world is it, where they go or some cultural structure before launch the adventure, I was imagining like the main character explain his memories with a lot of flash backs, with a mission or goal in that specific travel and then just bum! It goes all to hell and he has to learn how to survive on a mysterious island, all those things are the ideas that come from your game to my mind. I wonder how much is game will be in the future it is finished, could be nice see own resources there too, you should try to look at histories like Robinson Crusoe and things like that.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The way you implement the scripts are cool, i love the crafting system, the game nails on it, also the history is good for me, the cinematics could be better but since they imprint the flow of the game itself, i really think it could work very well, is a nice project, i will tell some stuff that could help your game, you know how is this is more easy tell than do, so is just a suggestion:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]1. The character is kind slow and the performance of the game sometime gets slow (kind lag), maybe that last part is my computer but the character definitely needs move more faster, i get the concept of just walk on the map but is gone to be better if is at least a little more faster.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]2. Battlers and Music, you do it well using the default resources actually is cool, but if you want get better could be nice searching for something more original and adapted to the game itself, because sometimes you cannot feel the atmosphere at all, also the start screen lower the expectations of your game.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I do not know how much time do you implement to this game because in some areas is complete and in others it needs more development, I mean the cutscenes are fine, there could be a nice reason for the Capitan being an idiot, oh men, there are a lot of histories to implement to this game that I cannot stop to think about it. The survival games are hard to get succeed for some reason I just think in games that, let’s say, does not have a good gameplay or is empty in all aspects, or most of them.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Well i like see developers like you working on his project and not let it die because that is a continue hard work, i know how difficult that could be over when you does not have money retribution on it, have a perfect day friend =)[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:

GutshotStr8

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks Artificer, I'm very grateful to you for taking the time to play and review this! You were very generous with your comments, I think :)

I'm glad you liked the crafting system, but it was really a plug-and-play script, so I can't take much credit for that.

Regarding the slow walking, if you hold Shift you will run. Guess i should have explained that somewhere in game but I think it is the default on RPG Maker games? I agree that walking around at turtle's pace gets old quick, and in my next project dashing is the default speed.

Thanks again for the encouragement and especially just for giving the game a chance. I hope you will have a perfect day as well!

Artificer

Creator of worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Español
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks Artificer, I'm very grateful to you for taking the time to play and review this! You were very generous with your comments, I think :)

I'm glad you liked the crafting system, but it was really a plug-and-play script, so I can't take much credit for that.

Regarding the slow walking, if you hold Shift you will run. Guess i should have explained that somewhere in game but I think it is the default on RPG Maker games? I agree that walking around at turtle's pace gets old quick, and in my next project dashing is the default speed.

Thanks again for the encouragement and especially just for giving the game a chance. I hope you will have a perfect day as well!
You know i think the slow walking is just my 2GBram computer =(, so forget that aspect, and thanks too, i will have those at least one per mont =)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I made a comic strip with the characters of my game.Flor en la cola eng.jpg
Hey, what does it mean in settings, privacy, where it says allow users to: view your identities??????????
I have returned yet again. No reason for my hiatus; just got distracted by video games and stuff. I figured out how to make a bootleg Ys 1 Battle system using in engine scripting (The only plugin enabled is the HUD thing).
Unfortunately I have no idea how to program but-stabbing as a crit without it being even more complicated to program so this is it.

Kickstarter successful!! I'm gonna have a Hot GameDev Summer in the trenches!
Me and my friend got into one of our usual discussions after I reccomended him a game, and I remember the last time we had a discussion like that, he disabled his FA account. This time, I found myself constantly checking my friends account hoping it wouldn't happen again. ...But it didn't.

The thing is... I just can't lie about my feelings, sometimes. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bebeom1