gothicvoid

[GothicVoid]
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So i am a little curious as to how others would approach doing this, like....i know it would be variables (right?) but at the same time would it be just a singular event... or do you think the whole map? How would yall do it?

scenerio:
the player walks into an item shop. (sounds like a set up for a bad joke) Walks around... and the player goes to a table of stuff... hits action button and ....
either:
>a pop up [You snuck bread!]
OR
>the shopkeeper turns to player [HEY! THIEF! Get out of my store!!] and player gets thrown outside or into a cell for x amount of time.

so ok NOW... that is if the shopkeeper is in a fixed position... but WHAT IF... the shop keeper is on random.... and you have a greater chance if the shop keep is facing AWAY from the player?????

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
parallel event or random move route: turns shopkeep

interaction event: set variable "Item ID" for item/weapon/armor being stolen
branch set variable "Ability Check" (checking shopkeep direction)
control variable "Ability Check" + item difficulty + shop difficulty
trigger steal common event

steal common event: random 1-20 variable "Random A"
control variable "Random A" + variable "Ability Check"
random 1-20 variable "Random B"
control variable "Random B" + variable "Slight of Hand"
if variable Random B > variable Random A
acquire item
if variable Random B < variable Random A
control switch "Busted"

make escape or die mechanics (but that would be whole other discussion)

Last edited:

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You roll a random variable, and then manipulate the score by adding or detracting points in accordance with the current position of the shopkeeper/player and other things that could contribute to the chance of success.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I got tired of not having an avatar image. Couldn't think of anything cool. So I'm just using my game's antagonist instead... How original. At least both of our names start with C?
Expectation: Design/dev a game for the game jam | Reality: "These codes suck, why did I do it this way? lemme fix this. Also what if I add feature xyz because... well, I can."
Did my first script call in an event! :kaopride: It's completely useless and just because I thought it'd be cute if looking at clocks in-game made the character say the real-world time, but it's fully functional scripting and I did it all by myself!
Stream will be going live shortly! I will be playing Resident Evil 3 Remake, and then I will be switching to a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Spent all day working on something that ultimately has nothing "flashy" to show at the end of it. But that sense of achievement...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartelStef