Should I even have a battle system?

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Adam Ferrell, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Adam Ferrell

Adam Ferrell Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So today I was squeezing my eyes really tight n' snug. I was trying to imagine what I battle system would look the best in my game.

First I thought of a cool first person battle system that comes stock in vx ace. It certainly needs some work(maybe a yanfly script or two), but it's definitely not out of the picture. I could especially see this as an option if there is only one character instead of a party, and you are looking at the enemies through his/her eyes. Maybe throw a hand animation or the barrel of a gun come up before dealing an attack. Although attacking poster-like battlers certainly reminds me of a long day at the gun range.

Second was the good old thoroughbred. The tried and true sideview battle system which would be a lot harder to implement, but would fill the screen in and that always has an aesthetic appeal to it. Showing your characters move, duck, die, cast, heal, and attack is just a little more satisfying than I care to admit.

The third option to me was battle taking place on the world map. This is a ton of scripting and I'm scriptarded at the moment, so no chance there!

The final thought was something I had never cared for and this is one of those moments when I need some opinions. NO BATTLES!?!?! 
    We're talking full-on adventure mode! No battles at all and the most hardcore the game will get is the occasional,"Press A now or it's game over!"

So how do you guys and gals feel about battle systems and what advice might you have for me? 

2. muramasa

muramasa Abomination of life, or life itself. Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I want to say first, I hate quick-time events to death just as much as I hate screamers in horror games. I consider them cheap moves.

That being said, I think you need to set first what is going to be the mood of your story. Is it going to be about a solo character? What you want for your game? And what don't you want? First person is a kind of game where you get to encarnate the characters from a more inner perspective. Side-view on the other hand, feels more like being the observer of something great, without being on their flesh (also used for "pure epicness").

And that is just for the battle perspective, which you are now planning to leave aside. No battles is fine, it is good indeed, it's a change. You can still achieve a lot without making the game main mechanic around battles. But seeing that there is not much set in this, I suppose you need first to decide more parts, like the way the story is going to be told, the kind of mechanics you want to achieve, the mood... everything else? You can decide after that what is the battle going to be like.

It's my opinion though, you can work as you please,

Orochii Zouveleki

3. Espon

Espon Lazy Creator Veteran

First Language:
    Gibberish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I made an adventure game with no battles.  If you have no need for them then it's pointless to put them in.

4. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I was working on a project like that too... no battles really, just pure adventure and careful choice of which NPCs and objects to interact with...

5. seita

seita Donn_M Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Considering the Genre is known for its traditional or unique battle systems, it would need to have a good reason not to have one. In my projects case, well the name says it all, so there is no battle system. Though the main character can fight, she can barely hang against the easiest of foes and must elude, disable or trap the rest.

6. aironneil

aironneil Indecisive Creator Veteran

I can't think of anything funny to put here...
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, if you're putting in battles for the sake of battles and not to add to the overall experience of the game then I say leave the battles out. Although if you don't have battles you'll have to have something to engage the player; then, the obvious route is to just make an adventure game (somewhat like point and click) and if you do that then you'll probably need to have your story and dialogues a lot more engaging than most RPGs.

7. monkeynohito

monkeynohito Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the stock battle system. I've really never thought any custom systems worked mechanically better, though some are just as good. More often, those custom battle systems end up playing worse though and often destroy otherwise decent games. Cool graphics and uniqueness do add a lot, but I'm always much more impressed by custom systems outside of combat or encounter concepts.

So my advice is don't worry about it too much, your ideas could be put to better use elsewhere, but if you insist on a custom system, don't make something worse for the sake of a different graphic style or just to be different.

8. CRogers

CRogers Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    What would be the "challenge"? Or what would be the 'game' part of RPG?

Puzzles? Choices?

9. Adam Ferrell

Adam Ferrell Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Mostly exploration and adventure. I'm going to have a sideview battle system.(Yanfly+Yami scripts)