Should I get more than one RPG Maker?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I recently got MV on Steam while on sale as a bundle. Been pretty fun using so far. Thing is, all other versions of RPGM are on sale too, including VX Ace. Is there any reason I should probably get Ace to or no since MV is technically a superior version?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
only if you want the licences to use the RTP of the other makers.

You need to own both the maker you're making a game with and the maker that an RTP is shipped with in order to mix and match the different resources. Some people do this but if you have no interest in the other resources then there is no need to purchase multiple makers.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Like Andar said, it's useful to be able to use RTPs from all makers. Plus, when it's on sale it doesn't cost much.

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Right now, I'm in an approximately equivalent position, psychologically, to a lot of people in the mid-00s to early 10s that had a powerful attachment to 2k3. Even if XP and later VX were clearly superior tools (which I don't necessarily think they even were), people still doggedly stuck to 2k3 (and were eventually rewarded, first by a fan-made total conversion that was the labor of years and years by very smart people, and later by Degica offering an official, supported English language version). That's kind of how I feel about VXA, even though MV is my main tool*. VXA as an engine will always have a special place in my heart.

I'm attached nostalgically to the RTP characters of the older makers, but the engines themselves...thank God for progress.

* I still HATE that it only supports .ogg files.

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV can't handle any sound format but .ogg. At least mine can't.

Amane Kagari

Knight Regalius of Regisia Kingdom
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV can't handle any sound format but .ogg. At least mine can't.
Yeah. I tried other formats and it doesn't really play. But that isn't a big issue for me as there are many free softwares you can use to convert files to ogg without losing quality. I think others have already said something about this issue elsewhere but anyways...
Back to the OP's question:
Go right ahead and use which ever RM you prefer. I personally prefer MV but sometimes would go back to Ace from time to time. But it's completely up to you. I mean some love the old school RMs and still continues to use them today even though they may be considered "obsolete" by others. So absolutely, it is completely up to you what you want to spend money on. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Me and brother have an ongoing rivalry. We constantly fight for the High Score in Galaga on our arcade cabinet. Today I take back the top with 239,000. He'll be back. (No-Fire glitch is banned)
Made Custom ENEMY Information Screen
I'm having such a hard time thinking of an interesting battle system. and not being a coder, certain things I wanna do seem a lot harder lol.
Created a character outline with some code. I have no use for this. I'm....bored.....
Having lots of fun using different PS brushes to add a lil' texture to the floors and walls in my maps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmbor