Should I limit inventory space if I have a crafting system?

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by DRG, Jun 24, 2019.

1. DRG

DRG Orange juice lover Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So in my game I have something very similar to a crafting system called fusing. I was thinking about limiting the inventory so that players can't cheese through bosses by spamming revives and potions. but since my game uses Yanfly Item synthesis I'm stuck having to make specific items stack. I tried fixing this by making stacks have a max of 20/30 and by having a max item limit of 100, but i still feel like it's too much, but i'm afraid to lower the limit and making the game hard. does anyone know a rule of thumb when it comes to balancing something like this?

2. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Absolutely not. Make the inventory unlimited so that players can save up ingredients for a little while before taking a break to do crafting.

If you're worried about "cheesing" bosses with revives and potions, then keep revives and potions out of your game, or make them weaker in general so that only the best ones can be used to "cheese", or add a cooldown to item usage in combat so that the player can only use an item every few turns (which also puts a greater value on crafting the best items, since you're using fewer but their efficiency becomes far more important).

FirestormNeos and MMMm like this.
  3. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I hate when crafting is combined with (very) limited inventory. This is my major complaint in Starbound. I don't mind carrying limited inventory in that game, but the game should have a shared stash so I can dump whatever item I have then I can craft whatever the thing I have without additional item sorting simulator. Going back from stash to crafting station/menu and vice versa, then forgetting what was the item I need or what was the thing I wanted to craft.

FirestormNeos and Wavelength like this.
  4. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    stack size should be a property of the object item AND each item should have it's own, that way there's no global stack size and you can customize each item to your liking.

and I say that in opposition to "stack size is a property of the inventory system".
    it shouldn't be a property of the inventory, but of the item: the inventory should store *stacks of items*, which results in each individual "item" object from the code essentially becoming an object *stack* rather than an object *item*.

5. CynicSyndrome

CynicSyndrome Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i don't see why this would be a bad idea, I intend to do both. I have limited the inventory and single item carry max, using variables but no plugins. this way it easy to expand (yes not beyond 99 of one item), I have an evented PC item storage system expandable from 10 to 150 items which makes things easier, and I fully intend to create an evented crafting system. these things can be done together but you need to be creative and do things in an original way to make it work smoothly.

6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Probably better over in Game Mechanics Design.

Moving this.

7. xaev

xaev Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    How much an item can stack also depends on how much materials u need for crafting usually.
    If you only need small numbers like 1-3 items per craft maybe you could just do around 10~20 stacks per item?
    Inventory space could be upgraded at certain points of achievement too

Marsigne likes this.
  8. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For best results, limit the stacks of healing/revive items, but not the overall inventory. Crafting + limited inventory size is a terrible combination.

9. taaspider

taaspider Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My project has been on hold for a few weeks due to excess of work at my day job, but I intend to test a crafting system with no inventory limit, not even for healing items.

However, the way I envision it so that (maybe) it will work, the player won't have a dedicated healer, healing magic won't be easy to come by, and most enemies won't drop gold, only crafting materials. Even though the player will be able to buy items in shops, it will be be cheaper to craft them, and crafted items will also be worth more gold than its components combined (this is hard to enforce and scales with your database, but I see it as a requirement for this system).

10. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    I love games where you kinda wonders what you put in a bag to go here and there and wonders what you get back from there. ^^

In itself, if is a whole new game.