Redeye

Chronicles Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Not sure where this topic would go, so I put it here.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to make a website for hosting my games? Of course, since I have no way of funding, I would have to find a way to make a free one, which I guess would be easy now that I think about it.

If it does sound okay, are there any leads to start off? I'd really like to express my creations a bit wider than three forums and a Youtube channel.

MadMaus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are some places where you can make websites for free. Wordpress (Free and open-source blogging platform) and Wix (Flash based website maker and hoster) are two good examples.

My personal view: If you want to save some money with the marketing of your games, I'd make a Wordpress blog and focus all the info there, a Youtube channel for trailers and gameplay videos and a Facebook fan-page for interation and promotion.

Edit: Source links.

Last edited by a moderator:

starcrescendo

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think its always a good idea to have a website for your game. Who knows how long all these forums will be around? If you direct everyone from the forums and YouTube to your website, then you always control their experience downloading the game, and you can also cross-promote any other games you are working on, and keep people updated with a developer blog and lots of other cool features.

As far as resources, you'll want to start with a domain name. If you are looking for a free one, you are limited to getting a subdomain, or a free domain like http://www.freedomain.co.nr/ However, you should really get a real one, and they aren't too expensive. Around $10 a year, and often you can take advantage of offers to register it for the first year for only .99 at sites like https://www.namecheap.com/.

Then you'll need hosting. Again, you can get paid hosting for cheap, but you can also make do with free hosting for a lot of it. There are also website "builders" (which I would never recommend) that include hosting and let you build your own site, but they nickle and dime you to death with features and such. 

Then, if you just want to put the game up to download you could use a free sitebuilder (which I could NEVER recommend, being a professional web guy) or you could learn how to build your own site. There are a lot of tutorials on that. The benefit to building your own is you can make it operate and look exactly how you want, but it will take some time to do.

If you don't know a lot about it, the ONLY thing I recommend to people is Wordpress.com. It let's you take care of all 3 of those problems in one, and the best part is its free. They give you a free domain name, whateveryouwant.wordpress.com, free hosting  As long as you don't get a crap ton of traffic, (and I mean like a WHOLE lot), and they give you a free access to a ton of templates so you can build your site (some of which are HORRIBLE, but many of which have promise because they are so customizable).

Hope this helps you in some way!

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
If you are a student you may be eligible for free domain names.

https://nc.me/

Should you get a website just for your game?

It would definitely help in the long-run.

wordpress, tumblr, blogger, etc. All of these services provides you with templates to help you get started with your website and are free (for basic usage)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

A video update on the progress I've been making on the cutscenes. :kaosalute:

I wonder if color LUTs is possible for RPG Maker. It would be game changer and can replace the not so good looking tint screen
new mechanic in battle where you can mentally erase enemies when you deplete all their MP instead HP. this gives you a special item of their "memory". it's pretty to do in battle so far.
Apparently MZ lets you preview move routes in the move route editor without having to start up test game. That could save a lot of time during development compared to MV, especially for a long game that uses a lot of event movement for cutscenes.
A repost of an old meme I had made, now with music

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyriemedia