Should I move from VA to MV?

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Maybe ask on Stack Overflow? Just suggesting ;)

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I got both Ace and MV, and I find annoying the need to switch back and forth between *files* to track lines of code, when in Ace you could do with a simple broad search within the editor's own GUI.

whose great idea was to drop encrypted files for plain .js text, I don't know.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got both Ace and MV, and I find annoying the need to switch back and forth between *files* to track lines of code, when in Ace you could do with a simple broad search within the editor's own GUI.

I still disagree.
It's much easier to add files to the project, and then easily change their parameters from within MV itself, rather than changing the code and possibly screwing something up.
And I feel like it's also more beginner friendly to simply ask users to download the file into a folder, rather than force them to copy a wall of text and hope they put it in the right place.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I still disagree.
It's much easier to add files to the project, and then easily change their parameters from within MV itself, rather than changing the code and possibly screwing something up.
And I feel like it's also more beginner friendly to simply ask users to download the file into a folder, rather than force them to copy a wall of text and hope they put it in the right place.
This is true.
Especially if you're the script user. It's much friendly for the user that MV provides the user interface to set up the variable values, less chance to screws up. VXA is much harder for those who are not familiar with codes, put them in script slot, pray them to work, pretty much like me 10 years ago. Especially if you need to set the config in certain way like writing a hash.

But then again, it's the perspective of the user. What gstv87 said is the perspective of scripter, which is kinda irrelevant with your reasoning. In VXA, it's easier to track in my opinion because all the scripts handled in one encrypted file with its own editor. If you want to know where a certain method is called, just search, and it will display all the result on where the certain method is called, even it's in many different slot. Also pretty much one of the reasons that hinders me to move to MV as well.

---------------
As for the complexity topic, well, that's one of the subject I hate the most :p
But if your problem is about complexity, then it's not about MV or VXA topic. MV would also lag if you can't optimize as well

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
coders don't care about screwing things up.
they can fix it!

peq42_

Yeet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese(BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV

You know, you can simply download sublime_text and load all your .js files and they will look the same way as they're in VX Ace, but much better. You can manage then using any editor you want, the way you want, with much more freedom.

Also, if you honestly think things were better with ruby than they're with JS....i don't even know what to say.

@Topic:
MV 1.6(when bugs be fixed) will be better in every way.
-Performance is basically the same(If not a bit better), but will be improved as the engine is updated(thing that Ace won't have anymore). Also includes webgl AND webgl2 which handle things using GPU. And people can create plugins and modifications to improve that even more(Like Yanfly does since MV 1.4 i think, creating optimized versions of RPG_ files for desktop), and you can even use 3rd party js, such as GPU.js to improve performance.
-You can use Javascript, C, C++,etc in your game, thanks to webassembly which is present in Chromium 61(and because of that, in NWjs engine too)
-You can export to other platforms(Windows,Linux,Mac,Android,iPhone,HTML5 and even consoles[Will just need to create some kind of "browser" without buttons and stuff to load your game there])
-Flexible resolution(You can create games that are 1080p, 720p, 544x416, 640x480, 816x640,etc or all of that, creating an option in the menu to change from one to another)

Well, in the end, it's better in every way. Like a VX Ace PRO version or something.

Last edited:

ken1882

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese(TW)
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Maybe ask on Stack Overflow? Just suggesting ;)
In fact, I've searched it before drop this question here, the answers on Stack Overflow seems...not very completed. I think it's due to the remaining part that need to be calculated is more about the RM itself, I have feeling the ppl there will tell me "ask this on the RPG Maker forum"; anyway, I think I still have try to do it and see the final result, just because I'm a student it's worth enough to do something new to me regardless of the result.

As for the complexity topic, well, that's one of the subject I hate the most :p
But if your problem is about complexity, then it's not about MV or VXA topic. MV would also lag if you can't optimize as well
Yeah, perhaps, I even have little doubt that this system even not suitable for RM, but one mission of the programmers is to make something impossible become possible isn't it XD
If I can't optimize it myself, maybe I eventually will ask on Stack Overflow or my professor.

MV 1.6(when bugs be fixed) will be better in every way.
-Performance is basically the same(If not a bit better), but will be improved as the engine is updated(thing that Ace won't have anymore). Also includes webgl AND webgl2 which handle things using GPU. And people can create plugins and modifications to improve that even more(Like Yanfly does since MV 1.4 i think, creating optimized versions of RPG_ files for desktop), and you can even use 3rd party js, such as GPU.js to improve performance.
-You can use Javascript, C, C++,etc in your game, thanks to webassembly which is present in Chromium 61(and because of that, in NWjs engine too)
-You can export to other platforms(Windows,Linux,Mac,Android,iPhone,HTML5 and even consoles[Will just need to create some kind of "browser" without buttons and stuff to load your game there])
-Flexible resolution(You can create games that are 1080p, 720p, 544x416, 640x480, 816x640,etc or all of that, creating an option in the menu to change from one to another)

Well, in the end, it's better in every way. Like a VX Ace PRO version or something.
The opinion over this topic looks very mixture, I think I'll wait and see whether MV is better in anyway. The utility in MV are neat, but it's a big work for me to move whole thing to MV.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey, why not? :)
I would love to learn what your conclusions are, and under which methodology.
But since Ruby might have specific performance issues in heavy load, that js wouldn't (because of how ruby works in low level till it reaches binary code) I assume you might find js algorithms running faster than VX Ace Ruby ones. It's an assumption though and nothing more and assuming is useless in such cases.
So don't hesitate to give us feedback on this! ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just finished composing a boss battle theme!
Scripted a multi-variable weather system that randomizes wind speed, cloudiness, rain, fogginess, etc, while attempting to realistically account for interactions between them (e.g. wind speed affects fogginess, cloudiness affects rain, etc), the current weather pattern, and the player's biome e.g. swamp, beach, etc. Now I "just" have to tie visuals and sounds to the variables so stuff actually happens...
I'm having a headache balancing the combat using flat defense so I'm gonna use percentual armor, in this pic, Simon has 16 on Defense which means all the incoming damage will be reduced by 16% this will ease my burden a bit.
!Have a nice day everybody¡
SO glad they patched outer worlds for switch! I can finally play it! Weird that other peeps are still having issues. I know it was really chugging on my lite when it first came out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crowned_gaming_youtube