Should People Be Able to Express Their Political Stances on Online Forums?

Should people be able to express their political opinions on online forums?

• Yes, at any time.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Yes, but only if applicable to the conversation.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, not unless the topic or forum is specifically about politics.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No, not at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maidlyn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just a poll to see what people think about this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diretooth

Lv. 25 Werewolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Those are adorable turtles.

Though, seriously, politics can be discussed in an open forum (HA!) without flame wars cropping up. They should only be discussed in topics pertaining to politics, or if in part of a preexisting topic pertaining to political discourse.

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You should see what a political "discussion" turns into on Rift global chat. It's resulted in me putting more than on person on ignore. I'd say avoid if possible, especially if the forum isn't about it. And especially if it's against the forum rules (er, like here...)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Really?  Absolutely NOT!  This is a forum for RPG Maker and game development.  Political opinions have no place here.  This is strictly against the rules, and any threads that start to delve down those paths are closed.  Voting on the subject is meaningless - it is not up for negotiation.

The only time any kind of political discussion is acceptable here (and the only time it should be acceptable here) is in the context of a game you're making, and then it should not resemble what's going on in the real world.

We get enough of that crud everywhere else.  I'm happy to have a place to come where I know I won't be confronted with it.  If you feel the need to talk politics, I'm sure there are plenty of forums out there where it's okay, or even encouraged.  But not this one.

Maidlyn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz I wasn't saying that I was ever going to discuss politics on RPG Maker Web forums, and anyways I personally hate discussing politics with anyone online. I was only asking people what they thought of discussing politics on any online forum (that allows it), not this forum.

Uzuki

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz I think they were just asking in general. Although I agree that I prefer that these forums stay away from such discussions.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If it makes sense for the forum. Which is why it isn't allowed here :p.

Haydeos

The Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I usually say...Yes, but only if people agree with my political opinions.

TheTsunaru

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Haydeos I disagree with your opinion on people being required to agree with your political opinion!!!

:p

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
That should all depend on the forum's moderator. And if the entire point of the forum is for politics, then why not?

However, In the case of a forum based on a completely unrelated subculture like this one, I would avoid it. A point of a forum with a theme is to bring people together with interest in said subject, regardless of their ideals in other areas. Politics is by far the most controversial subject, so including it in a place like here would do much more harm than good.

I don't think that is a restraint of freedom of speech, which is the conclusion some people might jump too when I say something like this. Rather, it's a guideline for safety.

Because the freedom of speech is not insurance for saying something stupid.

LaFlibuste

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I haven't voted in the poll because no option fitted. I'd say "generally yes, in topics or places appropriate" but also, mind the crowd. Not everybody is able to discuss politics, especially online where tone is lost and people have less distance/restraint. I don't mind discussing with people who disagree with me, but I do mind people not being able to discuss intelligently, taking things personal, resorting to insults or using fallacious arguments just to win some sort of battle. To me, it's about the exchange of ideas and you could change my mind if you had good arguments and solid facts. But if you are going to try to get over me, insult or whatever, you'll just convince me you're an *ss. I often end up blocking people in these contexts.

So yeah, it really depends. I like it but it's not an easy endeavour to have an adult, intelligent conversation about such things.

Haydeos

The Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Haydeos I disagree with your opinion on people being required to agree with your political opinion!!!

:p

53eButy.jpg

Acolyte

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I mean, I don't see anything wrong about talking politics in off-topic chat. That's what it's for, isn't it? Topics that aren't rpg maker related?

Now if you went around injecting it in every single thread, I could see it being annoying.

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Issue is that politics is not about what most of people think it is...and wouldn't make sense in an rpg maker forum unless it's about a game's plot.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
off topic is for off topic, but political 'discussions' usually turn into arguments, and that just gets everyone riled up, and it carries over into other parts of the forum.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The only reason I said unless the topic is specifically about politics is not because of this forum, but because, as some of you were saying, if there's a forum specifically for that kind of thing on another website. Here, I've seen how fiery people can get when they have opinions on something, and I find that if you bring up something too controversial here, it'll be complete chaos, as @Shaz said.

consolcwby

(2015: afk...) 2018: BAK! :P
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Context. Without context the question is ambiguous at best. If I was to ask about, lets say, the possible politics of a Lawful Evil society - I don't think that would be a problem. If I was to suddenly ask for a commission of a bumper sticker design for a local political candidate, I think it would be a problem. And if it was just general politics, unless talking about theory or philosophy (instead of "ooh! XYZ is so right, no one disagrees who is intelligent!") then I think it's self-defeating and insulting. There are sooo many places to discuss politics on the net, the question would be - Why here?

(As an aside, I have seen amateur dev eams break-up over politics. It can be a polarizing topic to say the least! So, I'd be careful!)

aqua

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I just tend to avoid everything political online ever... except this thread. I'm personally not interested in seeing it.

But if it's a forum dedicated specifically to politics and discussing those views - then yes, of course people should be allowed to express their thoughts. That would be the perfect place to do it.

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
   As long as you are prepared to accept the consequences, you can express anything you want. No, I don't think you should be allowed to insert political opinions anywhere you want in a non-related forum, but at the same time I've found as long as you keep what you say tactful and avoid being argumentative or condescending about it you can get away with the occasional politically laced status feed or participating in the odd political statement that appears on the site.

The problem with politics is that it's often intrinsically polarizing and A LOT of people are to ignorant on what policy actually is to maintain their tact throughout such a discussion and fall back on what  political philosophy tends to teach in demonizing any dissenters of said philosophy by basically declaring them evil. Because of this forums like this one's policy of no political discussion (other than as pertains to game-making) is a solid one. It's not to say that a civil discussion of policy cannot happen (I've had a few on these very forums) but it's more likely to devolve into a name-calling contest unfortunately.

But if it's a forum dedicated specifically to politics and discussing those views - then yes, of course people should be allowed to express their thoughts. That would be the perfect place to do it.

You would think but that's absolutely not the case (for American politics at least, probably most others as well) unless you fit into the proper mold for that forum. Go on the root or liberalforum.org as a fiscally conservative independant, prepare to get death threats and outlandish accusations lain against you. Go on right nation or republican operative as an independent, and while they're admittedly kinder to you than their counterparts, you're still going to get slammed with being a libtard or a communist when you say something that goes against the party line. Honestly, forums dedicated specifically to discussing politics are some of the worst places to go if you want to have an actual discussion. People have just thrown civility out the window, and that makes it hard to find a safe place to hash out policy anywhere.

Pine Towers

Knight Hospitaller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If I was to ask about, lets say, the possible politics of a Lawful Evil society - I don't think that would be a problem.

This. In the spectrum of a RPG Maker game, design-wise, politics can be discussed without referencing to real-world, modern ones (because we can discuss politics of ancient Sparta, for example, and how they handled disabilities).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I couldn't help myself, so I edited the tiles a bit and made a birdhouse :LZSsmile: I hope I will finish the town today!Screenshot 2021-09-17 134349.png
How do I find the threads I have watched? It's been so long I've forgotten :kaoswt:
So far, this is how the wall tileset its looking in-editor. :kaoswt2:
1631863283853.png
Still thinking on details to add.
Added a plugin to RMMV Plugin Releases with all relevant info but it looks like the topic wasn't approved for whatever reason. Cool.
Working in the IT industry:
- "How long does it take?".
- "It takes 1 month".
- "What if we add more people to the project?".
- "It would take 2 months".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jragon17