Should you release a bad game?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Mr. Detective, Jul 15, 2019.

?

Release a not-so-good game?

1. Maybe no.

20.0%
  2. Just do it. Thoughts and prayers.

40.0%
  3. Prepare for 1-star reviews.

16.0%
  4. Have someone check it first.

40.0%
  5. Other.

12.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mr. Detective

Mr. Detective NATO Special Operative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hello guys,

I have a game that's been in development hell for 2 years now. :eek:

First, it was school that put it on hold. After that, it's procrastination, laziness, lack of interest, lack of time, lack of confidence, etc. that stops it from being finished. I am trying to finish it and get it done with, since I want to at least finish one game and not quit halfway through like before. However, I feel like the overall story and gameplay is quite lacking, so sometimes, I just don't feel like working on it. I actually planned to make it very short game, about 1 hour, mostly cutscenes and some puzzles. But now it seems like it might take more effort than I expected. :rolleyes:

Well, to be honest, it's not that I can't finish it. I can do it. I have the overall plot laid out. Just gotta work on some puzzles and create events. But I am having doubts that it will be enjoyable. Should I just finish whatever the hell I started and release it, regardless of how good or bad it turns out to be? :confused:

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My opinion? No. If you don't feel the game is good, then why would anyone else want to play it? Just keep it as an internal game that is never released.

That's what I did with my little dungeon crawler myself. I made a 20 map dungeon crawler that was designed to test my battle system, and it had a ton of fights. But I also realized that outside of testing purposes I doubt anyone else would find it enjoyable (unless you like fights 2 seconds apart), so I kept it as an internal product only.

Mr. Detective likes this.
  3. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    If even you dont feel like that game is good, then I dont think you can entice a lot of people to play it... But try to find some people to try it first, if they also dont find it good then dont release it..

Like do a thread here to look for playtesters then depending on their feedback, decide what you want to do..

Mr. Detective and Meike like this.
  4. SepulcherGeist

SepulcherGeist Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If a game is bad then a game is unfinished. All games start out bad and become good through revision and the help of others. It is the way of things.

5. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If you have a promise to release, do it.
    If you don't have any promise or moral burden, it's up to you.

But...
    The good thing about having a complete game that is released, you at least have a proof that you're able to finish something. Meanwhile some people don't have this proof.

6. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    if the story is good, towns and battle a bit weak, than let it playtest it by a few peoples and polish it better
    to look good before release it. if you have a release date, delay it due problems :)

7. noajb

noajb Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Just finish what you have, release it and let it go. I feel like it's much easier to let go of something you made if you just get it out there. And who knows? Maybe someone will appreciate your game.

8. padr81

padr81 Guy whose game is taking too long. Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm going to say yes as long as it isn't commercial.

Why? Because if you can get even 20 people to play it, you can learn from constructive feedback and criticism, improve and be more prepared for your next project. Peoples definition of bad also varies greatly, there are many terrible rpm games that dev's think are great even commercial and there are many decent ones unconfident devs will never release.

As long as you are not going to sell it, release it, have fun and learn.

9. Meike

Meike ||Telling Stories Through Games|| Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Finish the game. That's to build discipline. Have some people playtest and get their reactions. From there, deside if you want to release. If you do, it sounds like it's best to have it as a free game.

10. Mrs_Allykat

Mrs_Allykat Failsauce Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You could always cut it down to a manageable demo, do some polish, and release a demo to test the waters. Even a little feedback can motivate you to work on a project properly. If, however, there is no hope to work on it, then it might be best to hold on to it. Because an unreleased project can still be useful to develop other projects from.

*note: you should still try to finish it, just for the sake of it -- even if you don't release it.

11. Darth Equus

Darth Equus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    I'll say no. To quote Nintendo's Miyamoto (And I say it as a die-hard Sega fan):

"A delayed game eventually gets released. A bad game is bad forever."

Or start a smaller project using the experience you've garnered from this one.

Mr. Detective and bgillisp like this.
  12. Davox

Davox Archimage Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, if its not commercial, i think it'll help you to improve by listening the opinions.

padr81 and Mr. Detective like this.
  13. mishakoc

mishakoc Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It depends. If you still somewhat enjoy making this game, I would probably try to finish it and let some people play it and give you pointers on what you did right or wrong, that way you can learn some more from the experience. Then you might try to use the information and rework/polish things.

On the other hand, if you really hate the whole game then you can just let it go. Even if you don't finish it, you've learned a lot during the making. It was not a wasted time so don't feel bad about starting anew.

14. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Unless it's a BR RPG (and I'd say even if it is a BR RPG), do not release a bad game except non-commercially. If you make bad name for yourself, not even a good game can be enough to fix it (unless you're an AAA company).

15. Astel

Astel The (grey) knight with that funny look Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Unless you are trying to sell it, then it doesn't matter, just release it and let it go.
    A hobby doesn't have to be about perfection or being a burden to you... some people take all this too seriously.

IF you are intending to sell it, then it's a different matter.

Mr. Detective, padr81 and mishakoc like this.
  16. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I voted for everything as it really depends on you. You'll probably get good advice if you do release it, but if the game is really bad and that discourages you instead, then it may not actually help. If you can cope with being told your game is really bad, then it probably can help you with your next game.

Truth be told, almost all people who use RPG Maker including me, our first games are all bad. That's not quite true for everyone, but it is for most of us. I think most of us can realize our first games are bad too, and we just keep improving from there since getting good at RPG Maker is a skill you have to learn to use on your own.

But if you release it, and aren't too discouraged by bad reviews and critics, there is a chance some of those comments can help you.

Mr. Detective and mishakoc like this.
  17. CleanWater

CleanWater Independent Developer Veteran

First Language:
    PT-BR
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    In first and foremost place, "what's a bad game"?

What you think is bad, may be good for others, and vice-versa.

Release it in early-access or something like that on itch.io or gamejolt, create a topic for it here in the forums, asks for feedback, see what people think about it, then decide if you will finish and release it or not. :wink:

atoms and Mr. Detective like this.
  18. StaticUndertones

StaticUndertones Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My suggestion was going to be the same as a couple other people, and that is to let some people test your game and give you feedback. Maybe it's not as bad as you think.

atoms and Mr. Detective like this.
  19. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Maybe it is as bad as you think - but that feedback is still crucial because your testers will tell you why, in their opinion, it is bad, and that might be because of reasons you hadn't thought of. Without that feedback it is very hard to avoid making the same mistakes again.

Mr. Detective and mishakoc like this.
  20. Soulrender

Soulrender Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Poland
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can always release it as "early access" :)