Show item icon in a message window?

Discussion in 'RGSS Script Requests' started by o0Danny0o, May 9, 2016.

1. o0Danny0o

o0Danny0o Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey there i need some help. Been using XP for a little over a week and got so far without needing to much help but now am stuck.

I have noticed once you win a battle it will display a message box showing XP and Gold but also if you have the treasure option checked it will display the items icon as well. I want to display an icon that shows when the player opens a chests. I already know how to open a chest, display a messafe using the Show Text event but i cant figure out how to make it display the icon. I ran through all the scripts in the editor to see how they did it but its all confusing, i tried \i[X] where X is the items numbersbut it seems thats for RPG Maker Ace not XP.

I also tried looking online for a script but can't find anything (I don't want to use the advanced message box script) I just want to be able to open the chest, use the show text event and display the items icon that they found.

Could someone please tell me how to do this? I have added a screenshot to show what i want. Thank you.

Danny.

untitled.PNG

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You need a script to be able to do this in XP.  It's not possible with the default scripts.

3. o0Danny0o

First Language:
    English

I had a feeling that may be the case. However i know nothing about scripting (Ruby Code) to me its all jargon, apart from some things such as changing values but thats about it. Would anyone here be willing to make me a script for this please? I have no skills to do this. :(

Thank you.

Danny.

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Search.  There are already scripts that will do it, but they probably also do a whole lot more than that.

5. o0Danny0o

First Language:
    English

I have tried searching for the past hour, tried renaming how i ask my question in google, nothing is coming up. Most are for Ace or other versions of RPG and the ones that are for XP come with to much, such as the advanced message system script (Hermes) i don't want anything to confusing or to advanced yet. I need something small, something just for opening a chest. I even tried looking up chest scripts but all they do is open chests (Without the icons) or link me to youtube videos that don't even show the icons.

If you know of a script thats small feel free to link me because i have no idea where else to search anymore.

Danny.

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Moving to RGSS Script Requests

They ALL are message systems, which means they're all going to do w-a-y more than what you're asking here.

7. o0Danny0o

First Language:
    English
    So theres no basic message system that can display the message box window, the message text followed by item icons? When you obtain treasure rewards from battles it shows a message box, with text and icons. Thats all i need but can't find anywhere online. I have searched Google, RPGMaker websites in their scripts section.

I guess i will have to leave it then. Thank you.

Danny.

8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I moved it to script requests, just in case someone is available and willing to make it for you.  That's the best I can do.

9. mjshi

mjshi Jack of Most Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This shouldn't be too difficult to make. I can take this if you wish, but it might have to wait until tomorrow as I am somewhat forced to be away from my computer for the rest of the day (so perhaps I'll have something done tomorrow). If there is anyone speedier who wishes to do this, feel free to take it.

10. o0Danny0o

First Language:
    English

That would be great! I'm really new to this "Scripting" stuff, thinking of learning Ruby one day. I will be sure to credit you in my game once its completed, don't mind waiting until tomorrow.

Queston. Would this interfere with the default RPGMaker message box or would it just be a standalone script? Thank you.

Danny.

11. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It wouldn't interfere, just "read" from the standard message box and add a functionality like Ace's \i[X].

12. o0Danny0o

First Language:
    English

Excellent! Only needed the \i[X] to work :D This makes things less confusing for me. Thank you.

Danny

13. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Actually, I may have to rescind my earlier statement. RPG Maker XP's way of handling this message code stuff is messy. I'll have to overwrite two very long methods, so if you have any scripts that change how the messagebox functions you won't be able to use them. Just PM me if you want me to make any compatibility edits, but for now, there's no guarantees that any script of yours that deals with message boxes will work.

14. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  15. o0Danny0o

First Language:
    English
    I was just in the middle of writing a post :D I just tried the script and it appears to be running perfectly! Thank you so much for making this script, it now makes chest looting more authentic.

How would you like me to credit you in-game?

Danny.

Edit: Will conflict with other message window scripts that deal with escape codes.

Whats escape codes?

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2016
  16. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    By escape codes I mean are other scripts that have to deal with \I[number], or \Z[number] or whatever. Those.

If you want, you can credit me as mjshi.

17. Undead Alien Robot

Undead Alien Robot Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Lovely! Just what I needed. Could this script be modified to use for Weapon ID's or Armor??? I need one this simple for all icons. 

18. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Undead Alien Robot

If I happen to come upon some free time, I can modify this for you (shouldn't take too long), but it's unlikely that I'll continue supporting and updating this script past this point.

Undead Alien Robot likes this.
  19. Undead Alien Robot

Undead Alien Robot Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Thank you kindly! You are a master of your craft. To thee I bow my head in respect.

20. mjshi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Test this out, I coded this on my iPad so unfortunately I haven't been able to check anything. It should theoretically work, though.

http://pastebin.com/KjgrCUq9

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2016
    Undead Alien Robot likes this.