redmedved2

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Belarusian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly, after hours of searching and testing various plugins, I'm starting to think that all these videos with live2d characters on the screen of stock RPGM projects is just fake. These plugins are old and all the comments were posted years ago. Like live2d integration in RPGM is some forbidden and abandoned topic.

So I want to know, is there anyone who has successfully imported live2d models in RPGM and who knows how to do it correctly, because no matter how hard I tried, all these plugins give a very blurry installation description and there are no example projects, so I couldn't get it to work.

I've tried these two. Don't know if there are any others.

Yes, I know about dragon bones, but I need Live2d. I am much more attracted to its functionality for my purposes.

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm interested in this as well, although I'm not especially attached to Live2D specifically; I'd be open to using DragonBones if it can give essentially the same results. (The DragonBones plugin is unfortunately very focused on battlers rather than busts for dialogue messages, but it looks like it can animate busts as well with some extra work.)

When searching on the topic, I noticed that Visual Novel Maker (by the same company!) actually has an official plugin(?) for using Live2D in the game… it's probably too much to hope that it's compatible with RPGM too though, I guess…? And even if it is somehow compatible, there could be licensing issues.

I am also curious about why you specifically need Live2D over DragonBones. I was looking into them and as far as I can tell they seem to both do basically the same thing. I haven't tried either of them out yet though, so this is just judging on a surface level.

EDIT: There seems to be another Live2D plugin for both MV and MZ as mentioned here, no idea how to actually get it though.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Plugin Support. Thank you.

redmedved2

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Belarusian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm interested in this as well, although I'm not especially attached to Live2D specifically; I'd be open to using DragonBones if it can give essentially the same results. (The DragonBones plugin is unfortunately very focused on battlers rather than busts for dialogue messages, but it looks like it can animate busts as well with some extra work.)

When searching on the topic, I noticed that Visual Novel Maker (by the same company!) actually has an official plugin(?) for using Live2D in the game… it's probably too much to hope that it's compatible with RPGM too though, I guess…? And even if it is somehow compatible, there could be licensing issues.

I am also curious about why you specifically need Live2D over DragonBones. I was looking into them and as far as I can tell they seem to both do basically the same thing. I haven't tried either of them out yet though, so this is just judging on a surface level.

EDIT: There seems to be another Live2D plugin for both MV and MZ as mentioned here, no idea how to actually get it though.
With the help of one good person, I figured it out.
So the main plugin is this one:

So you basically need to do everything according to steps on the github page, or you could just copy these 4 plugins from the demo JS folder into your JS folder.
Then you have to create folder "assets" and set the path to your models in the Live2d interface plugin.
As for the assets, you need a few things:
- export your model with physics settings (one "moc3" file and 3 "json" files)
- export texture file with all meshes (additional folder with png picture in it)
- export at least one motion file (additional folder with "json" motion files in it)

The models controlled by commands in the Live2d interface plugin.
Also, to bind motions to the model you need to set the motions manually in the ***.model3.json file. You can compare existing model3 files in the demo folder with your new file if you just create one and you will know what I mean.

I explained briefly, because you can figure it all out yourself with the demo example. Good luck.

As for the dragonbones I can't say much, because I didn't tested it out, but just comparing the interfaces and workflow I stick to live2d. Just as you said, dragonbones is for the ones who are creating a lot of enemy sprites or sprites for mobile games.
And live2d is for the real men who are not afraid of some entry difficulty because they are willing to give up any amount of time to create their cute catgirl avatar with moving ears.

Last edited:

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So you basically need to do everything according to steps on the github page, or you could just copy these 4 plugins from the demo JS folder into your JS folder.
Where did you find that demo? Or did you make it yourself using the instructions on the GitHub page?

I'm just noticing that it contains the Live2D SDK, which is probably not allowed.

Thanks for finding the plugin, though.

redmedved2

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Belarusian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Where did you find that demo? Or did you make it yourself using the instructions on the GitHub page?

I'm just noticing that it contains the Live2D SDK, which is probably not allowed.

Thanks for finding the plugin, though.
I'm not sure what do you mean by live2d SDK. It's just a project with 4 js files that you can download by following instructions on GitHub and a folder with free models.

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I mean that the reason the GitHub has instructions instead of including the files is that live2dcubismcore_min.js and live2dcubismframework_custom.js are not allowed to be redistributed (other than with a published game, which requires a license).

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

To cut down on map lag, I've been researching how to implement a lighting layer as a single map overlay instead of a bunch of individual lights. Hopefully I'll have a screenshot soon!
Imagine having a game broken up into a whole bunch of chapters? Like Chapter 11 should be about the party members going bankrupt.
Over 1/4th of the calendars are already out :eek: Have you already put something to a good use?
Where would you go if you're looking to hire someone on here? I'm in need of a writer to take my story concept and turn it into npcs/dialog in my game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LXRDFLXRVL