Morpheus

Jack-of-Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'd like to request a plug-in where you can comment a picture file and if the player is facing the event and is 1 space/tile away (This can be customizable)then it displays the picture.

It should probably have options to adjust the picture too for convenience sake.

Please and thank you! :guffaw:

Edit: For clarification and before people say you can already do this with eventing, I want the plugin to do it automatically because I want the event to be interactable and not set to parallel.

Sparky89

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can do a variable

Check if player X map position and Y position(being one tile away )
Conditional branch If player is facing up
Show picture.

Morpheus

Jack-of-Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
You can do a variable

Check if player X map position and Y position(being one tile away )
Conditional branch If player is facing up
Show picture.

Check the edit :p I knew someone would say that haha so I tried to quickly make an edit :guffaw:

Sparky89

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Check the edit :p I knew someone would say that haha so I tried to quickly make an edit :guffaw:
Agh i see, good luck all the best. hope you get your plugin ^_^

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can still do it with an event. Put a blank event on the tile where you want the player to stand. Give it 2 pages.

Page 1: Trigger = Player Touch
Code:
Control Self Switch A = ON

Page 2: Trigger = Parallel Process
Code:
Wait 1 Frame
If Script: $gamePlayer.x === this.character(0).x && $gamePlayer.y === this.character(0).y
  If Player is facing UP
    Show Picture
  Else
    Hide Picture
  End
Else
  Hide Picture
  Control Self Switch A = OFF
End

Yes, it is a parallel process, but it's only active while the player is standing on that event. Until they move there, and after they move away, page 1 is active. AND it has the obligatory wait at the start, which will prevent it sucking all your resources dry.

Morpheus

Jack-of-Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
You can still do it with an event. Put a blank event on the tile where you want the player to stand. Give it 2 pages...

That seems a bit masochistic doesn't it? Plus having so many events would cause a serious performance impact, no?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is not "so many events" - it is one event. How many of these are you planning to add? No, it will not cause any performance impact, because there is a WAIT command in the parallel process page, and that page will only be active while the player is standing on that one tile.

Unless you are planning to put in hundreds of these on each map, the event would be better for performance than a plugin, because only one event at most will be active, and only when the player is standing on it. A plugin would be checking at least every time the player takes a step, or more likely on every frame. And how are you intending to direct the plugin? Won't you have to do a plugin command, which gets called from an event?

Please try to understand why things are, before you discount them.

Morpheus

Jack-of-Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is not "so many events" - it is one event. How many of these are you planning to add? No, it will not cause any performance impact, because there is a WAIT command in the parallel process page, and that page will only be active while the player is standing on that one tile.

Unless you are planning to put in hundreds of these on each map, the event would be better for performance than a plugin, because only one event at most will be active, and only when the player is standing on it. A plugin would be checking at least every time the player takes a step, or more likely on every frame. And how are you intending to direct the plugin? Won't you have to do a plugin command, which gets called from an event?

Please try to understand why things are, before you discount them.

The way you seem to want me to set up my event, I would need to put an event around the event I want them to be able to interact with, right? What if I have an event not against a wall, you would want me to set it up like this, right?

Attachments

• 1608074345349.png
    1608074345349.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 1

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
again, how many of these are you adding? If it's just one, 4 events is hardly worth worrying about.

If you don't like 4 events, you could use a Region Common Events script, but then the common event will need to check where you're standing and what direction you need to be facing, and if there are several of these things that's going to get very complicated.

Morpheus

Jack-of-Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
again, how many of these are you adding? If it's just one, 4 events is hardly worth worrying about.

If you don't like 4 events, you could use a Region Common Events script, but then the common event will need to check where you're standing and what direction you need to be facing, and if there are several of these things that's going to get very complicated.

i appreciate the post and help but yeah, I’m going for a more open world typish game so if I have a dozen events the player can interact with on the map that’s 36-48 extra events id have to make just for one map so I’d rather just have the plug-in, but I truly appreciate the help. I wasn’t discounting your post, it’s just I already knew When making this post that using events to do this would Be incredibly tedious

Sparky89

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think Shaz is correct and in anycase directions can be resolved. using a master event with alot of IF statements if player is facing X based of if Event is X so on, where there is a world there is away.

I think your also too conscious of your performance, adding wait times is exactly the way around it. as Shaz correctly pointed out.

I think what your looking for is an all in one solution, but if anything I've just read above ^ it tells me your solution is more heavy on the performance then the events.
I hope you have your issue resolved. Thank you.

Zameryth

Formerly Aldu
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Honestly, I feel like making it using events would be simple enough to implement. Even if you're referencing 50 events, all you need is one event/common event with a parallel process.
  • Use the radius formula to check if the player is within reach of the event (this is what will make the distance customizable)
  • Check the player's direction, then check if the player X/Y coordinate matches the event coordinate based on the direction (If the player is facing right/left, the Y coordinate should match the event's)
  • Show/Hide the picture based on the condition
  • Use a loop and eventId to continuously run the same commands for every event until you loop through all of the events and then reset it back to 1
It shouldn't take a hit on performance because I've done something similar on RM2k3. If you really want to reduce the performance cost, you can create sections on your open world map and put specific eventIds in that location. For example, if you have a 100x100 map, you can divide it by quarters (25x25) and if you have 40 events, then you can put 10 events in each section. Then based on which section the player is located, check for those events only rather than checking for all 40 continuously.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Changed my avatar, goodbye Alan Sugar, hello George Carlin (one of my favorite human beings ever)
If you still don't subscribe our Polish channel please consider it :)
1.png
Who wants to see my review of the worst star wars movie? This movie has all the excitement of being on Jury Duty of the most boring case ever about trade negotiations.
A lot to learn to make a game. Can I handle it?
I've been working on status effects since last thursday, and today I finished the core mechanic of Zombie, Teleport, Curse and Recall. Zombie and Curse are lacking a few things to make them complete atm. Teleport though is the "HAHA" spell for some of my mobs, but can "NOPE" at them with Recall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shiromori