Show Picture in additive mode renders notably different (incorrectly???) in WebGL mode

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by orlando, Dec 28, 2015.

1. orlando

orlando Veteran Veteran

The additive mode of Show Picture and the Screen Tint mode seem to be working incorrectly in WebGL in both nwjs (as exported by RPG Maker) and a regular desktop browser (same problem in both Google Chrome and Firefox!).

They are applied much weaker when using the WebGL backend, so that the end result looks notably different and much less colourful.

This is how it looks like in Canvas mode (night screen tint + light effect on the window of the cabin)

[​IMG]

Now look how with WebGL, the screen tint is much more washed out/less blue, and the light effect on the window (achieved with an additive picture overlay) is barely visible anymore:

[​IMG]

Because especially the barely visible additive blending can affect atmosphere in games with heavy lighting effects a lot, it would be nice if there was a way to fix this.

Sadly, canvas mode is really slow or otherwise I would just simply force WebGL off to avoid this.

Does anyone have an idea whether this is an RPG Maker bug or whether it is a pixi.js issue, and what can be done about it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2016
  2. orlando

orlando Veteran Veteran

I'm not the only one seeing this, right??

Some of the guys here are involved in a pixi.js 2 -> pixi.js 3 transition of the RPG Maker core, aren't they? Do any of you happen to know why there are such render differences and whether it's feasible to fix this somehow?

3. vipar

vipar Villager Member

First Language:
    Danish
    I see the washed up difference too.

4. orlando

orlando Veteran Veteran

I am basically just looking for a way to make them look more similar, because Android will always use Canvas for the foreseeable future and Desktop platforms have much better performance with WebGL, and the render difference seems quite notable (especially for additive pictures/lighting effects). Any possible advice on that would be highly appreciated!!

5. Hackerham

Hackerham Developer Developer

First Language:
    Russian
  6. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM